[comp.sys.att] 3b1 Reliability

erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) (01/11/88)

In article <655@pttesac.UUCP>, vanam@pttesac.UUCP (Marnix van Ammers) writes:
> Well, I'm finally going to say it: I *do* have problems with 3B1
> reliability!
> I received my 3B1 around the beginning of August.  AT&T is going to
> be coming out for the *FOURTH* time Monday (I hope -- I made my repair
> call Dec 31st).
> [explains how AT&T Repair Clowns have show up 3 times already. Hey,
> there *is* a commercial with an AT&T Clown in it. I can't resist.]
The one time we've had a non-power supply problem they just replaced
the whole machine.

> I am *very* tired of having a flaky system.  I'd like to know just
> what the repair call rate is for these units.

I would too, but I think it's higher than you think.  We have 4 7300's and
4 3b1's at work, being used for development, and have only had to call
the repairman *twice* in two years:  1 bad power supply and one hard
drive that forgot what type it was -- they replaced the p/s on the
first one, and the whole machine on the second one (they weren't
sure if it was the hard drive or not.)

I think that's a pretty good record for eight medium-high use machines...
--
J. Eric Townsend ->uunet!nuchat!flatline!erict smail:511Parker#2,Hstn,Tx,77007
Just another journalist with too much computing power.| 'Hey, watch me ollie

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (01/12/88)

in article <165@flatline.UUCP>, erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) says:

> In article <655@pttesac.UUCP>, vanam@pttesac.UUCP (Marnix van Ammers) writes:
>
>> I am *very* tired of having a flaky system.  I'd like to know just
>> what the repair call rate is for these units.
>
> I would too, but I think it's higher than you think.  We have 4 7300's and
> 4 3b1's at work, being used for development, and have only had to call
> the repairman *twice* in two years:  1 bad power supply and one hard
> drive that forgot what type it was -- they replaced the p/s on the
> first one, and the whole machine on the second one (they weren't
> sure if it was the hard drive or not.)
>
> I think that's a pretty good record for eight medium-high use machines...
> --

I ran a bbs on a 7300 for nearly two years.  The machine was up 24 hours a
day for most of that period.  Toward the end, the hard disk started to
get a bit flaky, but only after a hacker tried to break into the system
repeatedly for over two hours one night.  I'm actually very impressed with
how reliable the machine was, considering how heavily it was used.  (We've
since gone to a 3B2 with more disk space, which is really the primary
reason we switched - not reliability.)

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
ihnp4!husc6!amcad!stech!sysop or allegra!stech!sysop

	Miscellaneous profundity:

		"No matter where you go, there you are."
				Buckaroo Banzai

(line counter junk ....)