[comp.sys.att] Recommendation to mkdir /lost+found on UNIX pc

lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) (01/16/88)

I noticed when the system crashes and the fsck is run at boot time
that it says this:

  /dev/fp002   UNREF FILE  I=2650  OWNER=lenny MODE=100755
  /dev/fp002   SIZE=5190 MTIME=Jan 14 20:45 1988  (NOT EMPTY)
 (RECONNECTED)
  /dev/fp002   1 BLK(S) MISSING
  /dev/fp002   BAD FREE LIST
  /dev/fp002   SALVAGED
  /dev/fp002   10452 files 101334 blocks 17718 free

Now the "RECONNECTED" message only is good if a directory /lost+found
is created on each filesystem.  The UNIX PC/3B1 doesn't have one, so
I would suggest creating one.  This means that the file at i-node 2650
was being modified at the crash time, and it went to place it's contents
in /lost+found/<i-node>!  After you fsck is run, I would check that
directory's contents for missing or corrupted file :-)

							-Lenny
--
============================ US MAIL:   Lenny Tropiano, ICUS Computer Group
 IIIII   CCC   U   U   SSSS             PO Box 1

alex@umbc3.UUCP (01/17/88)

In article <214@icus.UUCP> lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>I noticed when the system crashes and the fsck is run at boot time
>that it says this:
	[ stuff about no /lost+found directory]

I feel like I'm a little out of sync here, I have a /lost+found, came with
the software. And another thing, I also have /etc/cron, while other unixpc
folks are talking about writing there own, because they don't have it!

	Is there really such a violent difference between 3.51 and 3.50? Or
(Horrors) are people still running 3.0 (with 7 character C symbols!). My cron
LOOKS like a normal cron, It just doesn't start automaticly, you have to
create /etc/.cronstart so it will fire up at boottime. (see /etc/rc).

	Has anyone tried porting BSD uucp to the 3b1? It looks PD, and is
HDB compatable. I remember looking at the sources somewhere recently...

--
					:alex.

alex@umbc3.umd.edu

andys@shlepper.ATT.COM (a.b.sherman) (01/17/88)

In article <214@icus.UUCP>, lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
> [Description of fsck output on reboot after crash]
> Now the "RECONNECTED" message only is good if a directory /lost+found
> is created on each filesystem.  The UNIX PC/3B1 doesn't have one, so
> I would suggest creating one.  This means that the file at i-node 2650
> was being modified at the crash time, and it went to place it's contents
> in /lost+found/<i-node>!  After you fsck is run, I would check that
> directory's contents for missing or corrupted file :-)

In order for fsck to put something in /lost+found the directory must
have some block allocated to it.  In order to accomplish that you
should create a bunch of files and then delete them.  Like this:

mkdir /lost+found
cd /lost+found
for i in 1 to 64
do
cat >tmp$i <<FUNKYSTUFF
dummy line
FUNKYSTUFF
done
rm tmp*

If you don't allocate the space, fsck won't reconnect your files.
--
Andy Sherman / AT&T Bell Laboratories (Medical Diagnostic Systems)
480 Red Hill Road / Middletown NJ 07748 / (201) 615-5708

lm@arizona.edu (Larry McVoy) (01/17/88)

In article <214@icus.UUCP> lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
[stuff about lost+found]

For reasons I won't go into, the lost+found dir needs directory slots.  So
do it like this:

#!/bin/sh

ROOT=/
mkdir $ROOT/lost+found
for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 a b c d e f g h i j k l; do
	cp /dev/null $ROOT/lost+found/$i
	rm $ROOT/lost+found/$i
done

andys@shlepper.ATT.COM (a.b.sherman) (01/19/88)

In article <178@shlepper.ATT.COM>, I wrote:
> In order for fsck to put something in /lost+found the directory must
> have some block allocated to it.  In order to accomplish that you
> should create a bunch of files and then delete them.  Like this:
>

> mkdir /lost+found
> cd /lost+found
> for i in 1 to 64
> do
> cat >tmp$i <<FUNKYSTUFF
> dummy line
> FUNKYSTUFF
> done
> rm tmp*

Hey, what can I say, I blew it.  The correct script should be:

mkdir /lost+found
cd /lost+found
for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
do
for j in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
do
cat >tmp$i$j <<FUNKYSTUFF
dummy line
FUNKYSTUFF
done
done
rm tmp*

Some one has pointed out that you don't need to actually allocate
space in the tmp$i$j files so that "cat >tmp$i$j" would probably do
it instead of all the funky stuff.

Flames to /dev/null...