[comp.sys.att] reformatting 3b2 harddisks

cyliax@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Ingo Cyliax) (01/14/88)

Is there any way to reformat 3b2 harddisks ? We have several 3b2's
on campus and have run into some that have had their harddisks
scrambled and would like to reformat them to see if we can make
them work again. Buying new harddisks from ATT is out, since ~$500
for a 32 Meg winchester seems a bit steep, especially when there
is nothing really wrong with the drive.

I have heard that there is a formatting utility that ATT had/has that
would let technicians reformat disks in the field, but we haven't had
any luck in trying to obtain anything like that from ATT.

			Thanks,
--
/*                              Ingo Cyliax                               *
 * ...!ihnp4!pur-ee!cyliax      ECN, Electrical Engineering Bldg.         *

jgy@hropus.UUCP (John Young) (01/15/88)

> Is there any way to reformat 3b2 harddisks ? We have several 3b2's
> on campus and have run into some that have had their harddisks
> scrambled and would like to reformat them to see if we can make
> them work again. Buying new harddisks from ATT is out, since ~$500
> for a 32 Meg winchester seems a bit steep, especially when there
> is nothing really wrong with the drive.
>
> I have heard that there is a formatting utility that ATT had/has that
> would let technicians reformat disks in the field, but we haven't had
> any luck in trying to obtain anything like that from ATT.

The fmthard(1M) utility will lay down a new format block
on a hard disk.  This is used by UNIX to indicate the the type
and extents of various filesystems.

For a real low-level format of the disk you need a diskette
which used to be known as "DEVTOOLS" but now has a new name I
can't remember.  It can be gotten by ordering the AT&T Hardware
Maintenance Manual.  Mail/call me for the order code if you need
it, cos' I don't have it with me right now.

John Young
AT&T-BL Red Hill,
Middletown, NJ 07748
201-615-4412

brian@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Brian Kantor) (01/15/88)

In article <1489@ea.ecn.purdue.edu> cyliax@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Ingo Cyliax) writes:
>Is there any way to reformat 3b2 harddisks? ...
>
>I have heard that there is a formatting utility that ATT had/has that
>would let technicians reformat disks in the field, but we haven't had
>any luck in trying to obtain anything like that from ATT.

Yes, there is.  What you need is called the DEVTOOLS diskette.  It is a
standalone bootable diskette that will let you format, build and
reconstruct bad block tables, fix bad sanity tracks, and copy itself.

It is supposed to be available from AT&T.  If you ever find out how to
order it, please let us know.  I'm told that field engineers have it,
and that it was available to VARs and developers.

Good luck!  You're going to need it to find anybody in AT&T who even
will admit that such a diskette exists, much less anyone who'll tell you
how to order it.  Maybe you can slug your field technician and copy his
diskette while he's recovering....
			- Brian

lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) (01/16/88)

In article <1489@ea.ecn.purdue.edu> cyliax@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Ingo Cyliax) writes:

|>Is there any way to reformat 3b2 harddisks ? We have several 3b2's
|>on campus and have run into some that have had their harddisks
|>scrambled and would like to reformat them to see if we can make
|>them work again. Buying new harddisks from ATT is out, since ~$500
|>for a 32 Meg winchester seems a bit steep, especially when there
|>is nothing really wrong with the drive.
|>
|>I have heard that there is a formatting utility that ATT had/has that
|>would let technicians reformat disks in the field, but we haven't had
|>any luck in trying to obtain anything like that from ATT.

The "formatting" utility that you mention is called DEVTOOLS you basically
have to know someone to get something like this.  It has things on it
like ability to write the sanity track, and do some weird things with
the hard disk.  I think we used it once, I don't remember exactly what for.

But there is a very simple way of reformatting the system is doing a
FULL RESTORAL.  Boot the 3B2 off the 1st floppy in the System Software.
Select 'FULL RESTORE' and you can put in the new partitioning, etc... like
you are starting new.  This will in-theory reformat your system.

WARNING: All your stuff previously on the hard disk is destroyed!

						-Lenny
--
============================ US MAIL:   Lenny Tropiano, ICUS Computer Group
 IIIII   CCC   U   U   SSSS             PO Box 1

rjd@occrsh.ATT.COM (01/18/88)

>The "formatting" utility that you mention is called DEVTOOLS you basically
>have to know someone to get something like this.  It has things on it
>like ability to write the sanity track, and do some weird things with
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>the hard disk.  I think we used it once, I don't remember exactly what for.

  If you ever end up in the position that the hard disk is OK, but somehow
the sanity track is blown away (which can happen), it can be re-written
without going to the devtools diskette.  Just turn it on, get the DISK SANITY
message, enter "mcp" or whatever you have changed it to, enter "filledt"
as program to boot off of whatever device should be the hard disk (though
the name will not appear in the table since filledt has not been run yet),
let it do it, enter the diagnostic monitor (dgmon) by the same method,
then run phase 21 system board diagnostices (dgn sbd ph 21), or whatever
phase runs the extended HD interface test (the phase number is different
on some models dependent on some things, one being the existance of a MAU
on the system).  This phase re-writes the sanity track as part of the test.
You may now boot unix, or just turn it off and back on and let it auto-boot.

Randy

jgy@hropus.UUCP (John Young) (01/20/88)

> In article <1489@ea.ecn.purdue.edu> cyliax@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Ingo Cyliax) writes:
> >Is there any way to reformat 3b2 harddisks? ...
> >
> >I have heard that there is a formatting utility that ATT had/has that
> >would let technicians reformat disks in the field, but we haven't had
> >any luck in trying to obtain anything like that from ATT.
>
> Yes, there is.  What you need is called the DEVTOOLS diskette.  It is a
> standalone bootable diskette that will let you format, build and
> reconstruct bad block tables, fix bad sanity tracks, and copy itself.
>
> It is supposed to be available from AT&T.  If you ever find out how to
> order it, please let us know.  I'm told that field engineers have it,
> and that it was available to VARs and developers.
>
> Good luck!  You're going to need it to find anybody in AT&T who even
> will admit that such a diskette exists, much less anyone who'll tell you
> how to order it.  Maybe you can slug your field technician and copy his
> diskette while he's recovering....
> 			- Brian

The thing you need to order is:

	"AT&T 3B2 Computer Maintenance Reference Manual"

	Select Code: 305-395 ..... Issue 2

You should be able to order it from wherever you got your existing
system and doc's.  If not try:

	1-800-247-1212 (USA)	1-201-953-7554	(elsewhere)

This manual gives pretty good service procedures for the 3b2 line
300's through 600's. Also for SCSI and XM stuff.
You will also get comcodes for most of the replaceable parts.
The DEVTOOLS diskette is now known as the idtools (lower case) diskette
and is included in the back of the manual.
I think the cose is either $50 or $100.

john young