[comp.sys.att] 6300 graphics and EGA cards

kathy@bakerst.UUCP (Kathy Vincent) (01/11/88)

Several people in my department have been working lately with a
CBT (computer-based-training) program called "Summit."  Summit was
designed to work on IBM PC and PC-compatible machines (I'm being
awfully generic here - that may include XT and AT), and we've been
using it on 6300s.

When designing training screens with the original version of Summit,
we could work in 3 modes:

    1.	Text, using 16 colours and the ASCII character
	set plus an extended (?) character set of special
	characters to a total of 256 characters.

    2.	High-resolution graphics, using *2* colours only
	(black and one other colour of choice) and pixel-graphics.

    3.	Low-resolution graphics, using *4* colours only
	(black and EITHER red/green/yellow OR pink/blue/white)
	and pixel-graphics.

Recently, they came out with a new version that's supposed to
enable users to get all 16 colours in both graphics modes as well
as in text mode - provided the machine being used is equipped with
an EGA card.  We have the new software, but we haven't yet been able
to make use of the new capabilities because we don't have EGA cards.
There may be a way, but we haven't figured it out yet.

What we'd like to do is figure out how to tap into the 16 colours
with the equipment we have *without* having to invest in the EGA cards.
I realize that may be a pipe dream, but, heck.

I seem to remember from 'way back that the 6300 as it comes off
the shelf is already equipped with a fancy graphics capabilities,
that it's supposed to be the equivalent of a PC or XT with some
graphics card.  What card is that?  Is it an EGA card?  Anyone know?
If the 6300 is the equivalent of a PC/XT with an EGA card, does
anyone have any idea what kinds of things might be involved in
modifying the CBT package to make it work with our equipment?
OR what's involved in getting our EGA-equivalent to act like an EGA?
Is it possible?  Probable?  If the 6300 card is not an EGA equivalent,
what *is* it?

Thanks.

Kathy Vincent ------>  {ihnp4|mtune|codas|ptsfa}!bakerst!kathy
              ------>  {ihnp4|mtune|burl|codas}!wrcola!kathy
              ------>  { favourite AT&T gateway }!wruxe!unix

wcf@psuhcx (William C. Fenner) (01/11/88)

From my (admittedly limited) experience with AT&T 6300's, I have come to the
following conclusion:
   AT&T graphics can have the same resolution as (or better than) EGA, but
the addressing etc. of their graphics makes it impossible to use software
designed for the EGA with the extended graphics mode.  What this means is that
you will have to contact the supplier of your software and see if they make
a version that can use the 6300 graphics.  If the program uses different
drivers for each video card, there might be a driver for the 6300.  If not,
you might be out of luck.

    Hope this helps...
   __      _  _      _____   Bill Fenner      wcf @ psuhcx.bitnet
  /  )    // //       /  '                    wcf @ hcx.psu.edu
 /--<  o // //     ,-/-, _  __  __  _  __     ihnp4!psuvax1!psuhcx.bitnet!wcf
/___/_<_</_</_    (_/   </_/ <_/ <_</_/ (_

aptr@ur-tut.UUCP (The Wumpus) (01/12/88)

In article <1037@bakerst.UUCP> kathy@bakerst.UUCP (Kathy Vincent) writes:
>What we'd like to do is figure out how to tap into the 16 colours
>with the equipment we have *without* having to invest in the EGA cards.
>I realize that may be a pipe dream, but, heck.
>
>I seem to remember from 'way back that the 6300 as it comes off
>the shelf is already equipped with a fancy graphics capabilities,
>that it's supposed to be the equivalent of a PC or XT with some
>graphics card.  What card is that?  Is it an EGA card?  Anyone know?
>If the 6300 is the equivalent of a PC/XT with an EGA card, does
>anyone have any idea what kinds of things might be involved in
>modifying the CBT package to make it work with our equipment?
>OR what's involved in getting our EGA-equivalent to act like an EGA?
>Is it possible?  Probable?  If the 6300 card is not an EGA equivalent,
>what *is* it?

The graphics cards that come in the 6300 are not EGA compatible.  They
actually have a better resolution then EGA provides (600x400 or 80x50
text), but they are only monochrome.  AT&T also makes a card that
allows the mode to be 16 colors (DEB), but it costs over $800 but
there you use your old color monitor.

AT&T is now offering a new graphics card for their computers that
sits in a slot and does CGA, 600x400 mono, 600x400 16 color (DEB?),
and EGA.  The card requires that the original graphics adapter be
disabled.  The cost of the card is $500 dollars.  The reason for it
costing less probably reflects the difference in chip technology since
the DEB was introduced several years ago.

I have not seen this new graphics card, but I am supposed to be
getting the first one in Rochester for a loan.  A local computer store
is going to let me play with the card for a while and then give them
an evaluation of the card.  The card started shipping the end of
December, so I should be seeing it soon.

I will post my initial reactions as soon as the card arrives.

--
The Wumpus        UUCP:   {cmcl2!decvax}!rochester!ur-tut!aptr
                  BITNET: aptrccss@uorvm

ralph@mtunf.ATT.COM (Ralph Heredia) (01/12/88)

In article <801@ur-tut.UUCP> aptr@tut.cc.rochester.edu.UUCP (The Wumpus) writes:
>In article <1037@bakerst.UUCP> kathy@bakerst.UUCP (Kathy Vincent) writes:
>>TEXT DELETED!
>
>The graphics cards that come in the 6300 are not EGA compatible.  They
>actually have a better resolution then EGA provides (600x400 or 80x50
                                                      640x400
>text), but they are only monochrome.  AT&T also makes a card that
>allows the mode to be 16 colors (DEB), but it costs over $800 but
>there you use your old color monitor.
>AT&T is now offering a new graphics card for their computers that
>sits in a slot and does CGA, 600x400 mono, 600x400 16 color (DEB?),
                              640x400 mono  640x400 color EGA NOT DEB.
There are two cards that are being offered for the new machines.
They are the VDC400 and the VDC750.
The VDC400 is a CGA compatible card with 640x400 mono AT&T
resolution (Similar to 6300 internal Adaptor)
The VDC750 is a Multimode EGA/CGA video board which has all of the
modes of the VDC400 plus EGA modes of 640x350 16 color of a palette
of 64 colors and 640x400 16 color out of a palette of 64 colors.
These video boards work with the 313 monochrome and 318 color monitors
as well as with the new 319 color monitor.
Hope this helps.

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (01/13/88)

Just got done disassembling a Worksation 86, or whatever it is
called that an associate has on loan from AT&T.  Pretty decent Unix
port.  Works well doing XT Layers on a 630 terminal.

Well anyway, the design of the machine is pretty much the same as
the 6300 / 6310 with the motherboard on the bottom and the slots up
top.

The video board was set up to the same video modes as the indboard
on a 6300, but is was in a regular slot.  The chipset was by
Vector, or something like that.  It looked like a pretty early
hardware rev, as there was a truck load of pasted on jumper wires
on the video board.  It looked like the video board was
manufactured by OPE, as it bore the usual appearance of their work.

The rest of the Workstation's harware was pretty clean.  Mounting
the hard drive in the attached sidecar was a good idea.

Eventhogh the video board appeared to be very much a patched-up
affair, it did seem to work OK.

The only real criticism I have of the Workstation is that the
keyboard has a pretty cheesey tactile feel like a low-budget Taiwan
clone.  The stupid coiled cord is too short, exits from the left of
the keyboard and has to plug into the right of the machine.  Dumb.
Come to think of it the 6300's keyboard cable is a similar design,
but it isn't as short as the cable on the Workstation's keyboard.

The keyboard on the 6300s was really pretty good.  It wasn't like a
bunch of miniature pogo sticks like an IBM, and it wans't mushy like
clone keyboards.  Of course, some people didn't like the key layout
but that is more of an issue for endless debate.

ninja@bradley.UUCP (01/14/88)

> There are two cards that are being offered for the new machines.
> They are the VDC400 and the VDC750.

Will they run in older 6300's as add ons ?

The older 6300 machines had adhered to the IBM CGA standard.  This means :

640 x 200 monochrome
320 x 200 4 colors
64 shades of grey if you have a monochrome monitor and run in color mode.

and that's it if I remember right.  THere might have been some Hercules
monochrome support but I doubt it.  Lotus 1-2-3 2.01 does come with an
80 x 50 screen driver for 6300's, but it works ONLY on 6300's so it's
not CGA or Hercules.

What I recommend to people here that want to do good color stuff on
6300's is :

*DON'T* buy an AT&T color monitor, they are way over priced

Get an EGA card.  They range in price from around $100 up to $600
for ones that will do the new IBM VGA standard as well as EGA.  Run
down to your local Radio Shack (or any local dealer) and pick up an
RGB monitor.  In general, the cost of these two items is within $50
of an AT&T color monitor alone (that's with a Radio Shack monitor
and a Taxan autoswitch EGA card).  This combination allows :

640 x 200 64 color
640 x 200 16 color
CGA support
Hercules monochrome support

Installation involves changing a dip switch and moving 1 jumper.

Recently I priced out an NEC multi-sync and the Taxan card for someone
at around $750.  That's less than the cost of the Display Enhancement
Board alone.

Unfortunately, if you've already sunk $500 or more dollars into an
AT&T color monitor, your only alternative is the DEB.

Frank McGee

ir1@sdcc6.ucsd.EDU (ir1) (01/15/88)

I am running an ATT6300 which for the purpose of this question is
the same as an IBM XT. I was running a Seagate 225 20M hard disk
which gave me a Norton Utility Index of 1.1. I have now switched to a 40M
Seagate 251 with a WD WX1 controller, partioned into a small C,
and a 20M D and E drive. (Partioning done with Speedstore.) The
Norton Index on the 251 is .5, and stopwatch timings of program
do the low level format and Seagate doesn't seem helpful (although
they claim the 251 should be as fast as the 225).

So, can any one help me out. I would happy if I got the 251 to be as
fast as the 225, although happier if it were faster. Does anyone
know the optimal interleave for the 251 with the WD WX1 and an XT.

Alternatively is there a better half height drive for the money
about $500-600).

Thanks in advance

Neal Beck
Dept. of Pol. Sci

beck@ucsd (Bitnet)
beck@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu (Arpa)

rps@homxc.UUCP (R.SHARPLES) (01/16/88)

In article <938@neoucom.UUCP>, wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:

> Just got done disassembling a Worksation 86, or whatever it is
				^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	What is this, a new PC?  What do you mean by "Unix port"?

> called that an associate has on loan from AT&T.  Pretty decent Unix
> port.  Works well doing XT Layers on a 630 terminal.
>
> Well anyway, the design of the machine is pretty much the same as
> the 6300 / 6310 with the motherboard on the bottom and the slots up
> top.
>
> The video board was set up to the same video modes as the indboard
> on a 6300, but is was in a regular slot.  The chipset was by
> Vector, or something like that.  It looked like a pretty early
> hardware rev, as there was a truck load of pasted on jumper wires
> on the video board.  It looked like the video board was
> manufactured by OPE, as it bore the usual appearance of their work.

	AT&T has two new video boards: the VDC400 which is functionally
	identicle to the built in video board of all the previous
	machines, and the VDC750.  The VDC750 has all the modes of the
	VDC400 plus EGA.  The VDC400 is the standard equipment on the
	new PCs and is compatible with the 318H monitor.  The VDC750
	requires the 319 monitor, which is new.  I believe it is a
	multifrequency type to allow it to handle the 400 line AT&T
	mode or the 350 line EGA mode.  I believe both boards are made
	by Paradise.

	The DEB standard is not offered on the new boards but AT&T
	still supports it.  The DEB itself is no longer made (*I
	believe*).  It seems funny that AT&T is just now offering EGA,
	(and a new monitor for it) when everybody else is jumping on
	VGA.  VGA may be in the near future, especially if Paradise
	is making cards for AT&T.  Having seen EGA and the 400 line
	mode side by side, EGA is a step down.  VGA looks great though.

Russ Sharples
homxc!rps

NOTE:

The above in NO WAY reflects the opinions of AT&T.
These opinions are my own and the results of un-scientific and
highly irregular analysis methods.

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (01/18/88)

In article <2827@homxc.UUCP>, rps@homxc.UUCP (R.SHARPLES) writes:
> In article <938@neoucom.UUCP>, wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
> >
> > Just got done disassembling a Worksation 86, or whatever it is
> 				^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> 	What is this, a new PC?  What do you mean by "Unix port"?

My apologies if I got the name of the machine wrong.  It is
whatever the most recent AT&T 80386-based computer is called.
I belive the AT&T '386 product has been written about in such
places as Infoworld.

As far as the Unix on the machine goes:  I don't know if it still
considered a beta release -- possibly.  I have read some articles
in the computer trade rags that AT&T had contracted out to one of
any number of houses [which house depends on which rag you read] to
perform the porting of Unix to the 80386.  I guess that I mean "Unix
Port" in the sense that somebody or more likely bodies had to do the
work of getting Ssys V running on the '386 taking full advantage of
the '386s features, rather than just pretending the '386 is a '286.
The [MS] DOS-merge facility was not available at the time I looked
the machine over.  We couldn't do to much with the 630 termianl, as
a dmdcc compiler was unavailable.  The 630 did run multiple
sessions quite effectively, though.

rps@homxc.UUCP (R.SHARPLES) (01/18/88)

In article <9300048@bradley>, ninja@bradley.UUCP writes:

> > There are two cards that are being offered for the new machines.
> > They are the VDC400 and the VDC750.
>
> Will they run in older 6300's as add ons ?
	The VDC400 is (basically) what is in the 6300 as standard
	equipment.  The VDC750 will not work in a consistent fashion
	in the 6300.  I would imagine that it would work no better or
	worse than any other EGA card although I have no experience on
	which to base this.

> The older 6300 machines had adhered to the IBM CGA standard.  This means :
>
> 640 x 200 monochrome
> 320 x 200 4 colors
> 64 shades of grey if you have a monochrome monitor and run in color mode.
>
> and that's it if I remember right.  THere might have been some Hercules
> monochrome support but I doubt it.  Lotus 1-2-3 2.01 does come with an
> 80 x 50 screen driver for 6300's, but it works ONLY on 6300's so it's
> not CGA or Hercules.
	Never heard of 64 shades of grey from the standard hardware
	but don't forget the 640x400 proprietary monochrome mode.  There
	is no Hercules support in the standard system or DEB.

> What I recommend to people here that want to do good color stuff on
> 6300's is :
>
> *DON'T* buy an AT&T color monitor, they are way over priced
>
> Get an EGA card.  They range in price from around $100 up to $600
>
> 640 x 200 64 color
> 640 x 200 16 color
> CGA support
> Hercules monochrome support
>
> Installation involves changing a dip switch and moving 1 jumper.
	It's more complex on older PC6300s.  You should also
	(hopefully) get the EGA mode of 640x350 16 colors.

> Unfortunately, if you've already sunk $500 or more dollars into an
> AT&T color monitor, your only alternative is the DEB.
	No, there is also the STB EGA Multires II as well as some
	other possibilities (I think that Magnavox, and TAXAN may
	make EGA cards that have 400 line, 25Khz output but I am
	not sure.

aptr@ur-tut.UUCP (The Wumpus) (01/19/88)

In article <9300048@bradley> ninja@bradley.UUCP writes:

>> There are two cards that are being offered for the new machines.
>> They are the VDC400 and the VDC750.
>
>Will they run in older 6300's as add ons ?

As far as the info AT&T has released, The Answer is Yes.  The
installation of the card requires the disabling of the Indiginous
Display card, but so does installation of an EGA card.

>Unfortunately, if you've already sunk $500 or more dollars into an
>AT&T color monitor, your only alternative is the DEB.

The new card allow the use of the old monitor you have for EGA. The
sweep frequency of the monitor is fast enough to handle EGA with no
problem because it can already handle DEB.

If you already have a AT&T color monitor, Check out the new board.
The board lists a a great deal less then the DEB and supports EGA.

BTW:  AT&T is now giving a shipping date of Feb 1 for the new boards.

--

jrm@cblpe.ATT.COM (John Miller) (01/19/88)

> Unfortunately, if you've already sunk $500 or more dollars into an
> AT&T color monitor, your only alternative is the DEB.
>
> Frank McGee

Not True, you can get an EGA card from STB systems that produces
text, CGA, EGA on an AT&T color monitor.

--
               J.R. Miller, AT&T Bell Labs, Columbus, OH
                      CB 1C-339 (614) 860-4314

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (01/19/88)

I have the STB Multires in my PC6300.  It is only a partial
solution.  Programs that are well behaved and access the EGA
functions of the board through BIOS calls work.  GEM and Graph In
The Box are examples of well behaved programs that work completely
correctly in EGA mode.  GEM is even pretty fast.

Microsoft Windows in 16color mode and Rix Softworks EGA Paint 2005
are examples of programs that fail.  Both cause total failure
requiring a cold boot to recover.  Interestingly, Windows does work
in monochrome EGA mode (which isn't as good as the 6300 indboard).

The failures of certain programs on EGA in the PC6300 are likely
due to sloppy programming practices using 16 bit OUT instructions
to directly access registers on the EGA card.  On the PC6300 there
is an unfortunate "bug" that sends the two bytes of a 16 bit OUT
to the buss connectors in the opposite order of that chosen for the
IBM PC/AT.  The "bug" is not really an error since the AT&T PC6300
actually antedates the PC/AT.  At the time the PC6300 hit the
streets, there was no defacto IBM standard for doing 16 bit I/O.

The ROM BIOS 1.43 release included a new PAL-90 decoder chip that was
supposed to "cure" the reversed order of the bytes.  Unfortunately
the problem was not really cured by the new PAL.  Oh well.

So...  The STB mulitres is indeed electrically compatible with the
400 line, 25KHz scan rate of the AT&T color monitor, but it still
doesn't always work.

--Bill

gsk@khaki (01/20/88)

i was under the impression that the AT&T color monitor is
an RGBI device, providing, at most 16 different colors,
while the EGA is an RrGgBb device, supporting up to 64
different colors.

i'm not certain about this;
can somebody who knows verify this for me?

George S. Kong,  Silicon Graphics, Inc.,  (415)962-3281
gsk@sgi.com
...{decwrl,allegra,sun,adobe,ucbvax,pyramid,ames}!sgi!gsk

rps@homxc.UUCP (R.SHARPLES) (01/20/88)

In article <835@ur-tut.UUCP>, aptr@ur-tut.UUCP (The Wumpus) writes:

> In article <9300048@bradley> ninja@bradley.UUCP writes:
> >
> >> There are two cards that are being offered for the new machines.
> >> They are the VDC400 and the VDC750.
> >
> >Will they run in older 6300's as add ons ?
>
> As far as the info AT&T has released, The Answer is Yes.  The
> installation of the card requires the disabling of the Indiginous
> Display card, but so does installation of an EGA card.

	The new card is essentially a multifrequency graphics card
	that supports CGA, EGA and AT&T's 640 x 400 modes.  Installing
	it in a 6300 is just as problematic as installing any other
	EGA card - you still have the 16bit word order problem (when
	transmitting a 16 graphics instruction to the card on the 8
	bit bus, it must be sent as two 8 bit words.  Problem is
	which to send first?  We send the 8 high bits then the 8
	low bits, IBM sends the the low bits then the high bits.  For
	some reason, fixing this on the 6300 was "not possible".
	The 6300 Plus uses the same word order as the IBM standard.)

	I have been told by someone at (the old) IS that "The VDC750
	will not work in the PC6300 reliably. This is not a problem
	with the VDC750 but with the BUS on the PC6300. It would
	take a major redesign of the PC6300 to support an EGA type board"
	What "reliably" means it the usual problems: EGA works on some
	software but not others (Microsoft products are particularly
	troublesome).

> >Unfortunately, if you've already sunk $500 or more dollars into an
> >AT&T color monitor, your only alternative is the DEB.
>
> The new card allow the use of the old monitor you have for EGA. The
> sweep frequency of the monitor is fast enough to handle EGA with no
> problem because it can already handle DEB.

	I don't think this is true.  I was told you need the 319 monitor
	for EGA with the VDC750.  The 318 monitor is a fixed frequency
	(25Khz) 400 line monitor.  You need a lower frequency (21.8Khz)
	to display EGA.  The 319 can drop to this lower frequency,
	the 318 can't.  Essentially, the 319 is a multisynch.  While I
	have not seen this carved in stone anywhere, I have surmised it
	from what several people have told me.  (If I'm wrong, I imagine
	someone in the know will tell me.)

ralph@mtunf.ATT.COM (Ralph Heredia) (01/20/88)

In article <9837@sgi.SGI.COM> gsk@khaki writes:

>i was under the impression that the AT&T color monitor is
>an RGBI device, providing, at most 16 different colors,
>while the EGA is an RrGgBb device, supporting up to 64
>different colors.
The 318H provides 16 colors.
The 319H provides 64 colors w/ VDC750 (EGA).
--
Ralph Heredia                EMAIL: ihnp4!mtunf!ralph or attmail!rheredia
AT&T 200 Laurel Ave.  Middletown, NJ 07748    (201) 957-2567

largo@homxb.UUCP (J.BAKER) (01/21/88)

In article <2870@homxc.UUCP>, rps@homxc.UUCP (R.SHARPLES) writes:

> 	The new card is essentially a multifrequency graphics card
> 	that supports CGA, EGA and AT&T's 640 x 400 modes.  Installing
> 	it in a 6300 is just as problematic as installing any other
> 	EGA card - you still have the 16bit word order problem (when
> 	transmitting a 16 graphics instruction to the card on the 8
> 	bit bus, it must be sent as two 8 bit words.  Problem is
> 	which to send first?  We send the 8 high bits then the 8
> 	low bits, IBM sends the the low bits then the high bits.  For
> 	some reason, fixing this on the 6300 was "not possible".
> 	The 6300 Plus uses the same word order as the IBM standard.)

On the IBM, byte order is determined by the INTEL 8088 which does
the muxing for you.  It writes all 16-bit words (1 byte at a time)
in double write cycles because of the 8-bit bus.  The 6300, of
course, uses a 8086 which can take advantage of its 16-bit bus when
writing a word to an even address--it uses one write cycle.  Now,
in this case we've got to get our 16-bit word onto the bus
converter's 8-bit bus so we can be compatible with the wealth of
IBM XT standard expansion boards.  The problem, which byte to send
first, is answered by *looking* at the 8088 bus timing.  Strangely
enough, the pc6300 bus converter does it in descending address
order.  First the high byte goes to the word address + 1, then the
low byte follows to the word address.  I believe the design is
Olivetti's as is the decision to fix or not to fix.

The reason EGA loves this is because of its 'hybrid' register
design.  EGA has pairs of 'ports' (select, value) which allows the
software to write to a number of EGA registers through the same
port pair.  First, write a number to 'select' to select the desired
register, then write the desired number to 'value'.

Software wizards (I guess there are a lot of them at Microsoft)
noticed that a few ASM instruction could be saved by loading AL
with 'select' and AH with 'value' and using a 16-bit OUT
instruction.  Of course they are assuming, and rightly so, that the
low byte is sent during the first cycle (as 8088).

Since the EGA port pairs start at even addresses, when the 16-bit
OUT instruction is executed on the 6300, the bus converter sends
the 'value' byte during the first cycle and the 'select' byte
follows.  Guess what, it doesn't work.

For now software with this problem can be patched by replacing OUTW
with INT 3 and writing an interrupt handler to output the bytes in
the correct order.

If all software developers would stop using OUTW in EGA S/W then
life would be bliss.

j baker

All technical corrections are appreciated.

ralph@mtunf.ATT.COM (Ralph Heredia) (01/21/88)

In article <956@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:

>I have the STB Multires in my PC6300.  It is only a partial
>solution.  Programs that are well behaved and access the EGA
>functions of the board through BIOS calls work.  GEM and Graph In
>The Box are examples of well behaved programs that work completely
>correctly in EGA mode.  GEM is even pretty fast.
>
>Microsoft Windows in 16color mode and Rix Softworks EGA Paint 2005
>are examples of programs that fail.  Both cause total failure
>requiring a cold boot to recover.  Interestingly, Windows does work
>in monochrome EGA mode (which isn't as good as the 6300 indboard).

There is a driver for Microsoft Windows that fixes this problem.
The driver was written by someone at AT&T.
It is available through the hotline I think.
At least it is available through the BBS that the HOTLINE supports.

HOTLINE 1-800-922-0354
HOTLINE BBS 769-5616

Hope this helps.
Ralph Heredia
--
Ralph Heredia                EMAIL: ihnp4!mtunf!ralph or attmail!rheredia
AT&T 200 Laurel Ave.  Middletown, NJ 07748    (201) 957-2567
Disclaimer: The above comments are my own and do not represent the
views of the management of AT&T.

ralph@mtunf.ATT.COM (Ralph Heredia) (01/21/88)

In article <2870@homxc.UUCP> rps@homxc.UUCP (R.SHARPLES) writes:

>> >Will they run in older 6300's as add ons ?
>
>> >Unfortunately, if you've already sunk $500 or more dollars into an
>> >AT&T color monitor, your only alternative is the DEB.
>>
>> The new card allow the use of the old monitor you have for EGA. The
>> sweep frequency of the monitor is fast enough to handle EGA with no
>> problem because it can already handle DEB.
>
>	I don't think this is true.  I was told you need the 319 monitor

Wrong. You can use the 318 with the VDC750 however the following are
the limitations if you do so.
1. you can only see 16 color out of a palette of 16 in this configuration.
2. Your EGA applications will look shrunk on the display.
(the 319H expands ega apps to 400 line and gives you 16 colors out of
a palette of 64.

>	for EGA with the VDC750.  The 318 monitor is a fixed frequency
>	(25Khz) 400 line monitor.  You need a lower frequency (21.8Khz)
>	to display EGA.  The 319 can drop to this lower frequency,

The VDC750 brings EGA to 25KHz.

>	the 318 can't.  Essentially, the 319 is a multisynch.  While I

Multisynch is to strong of a word considering the flexible scan rates
that true multisynchs work at.
We like to call it multimode.

>	have not seen this carved in stone anywhere, I have surmised it
>	from what several people have told me.  (If I'm wrong, I imagine
>	someone in the know will tell me.)

I'm telling you.

>Russ Sharples
>homxc!rps

My opinions come from experience with these cards.

Ralph Heredia
mtunf!ralph

--

ccoprrd@pyr.gatech.EDU (Richard Dervan) (01/22/88)

In article <783@mtunf.ATT.COM>, ralph@mtunf.ATT.COM (Ralph Heredia) writes:
> HOTLINE 1-800-922-0354
> HOTLINE BBS 769-5616

What's the area code of the Hotline BBS?  Could it be an 800 call also?
-Richard

--
Richard B Dervan - Office of Computing Services          | Go you fuzzy |
Georgia Insitute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332   |     Bees     |

ralph@mtunf.ATT.COM (Ralph Heredia) (01/22/88)

In article <4843@pyr.gatech.EDU> ccoprrd@pyr.gatech.EDU (Richard Dervan) writes:
>In article <783@mtunf.ATT.COM>, ralph@mtunf.ATT.COM (Ralph Heredia) writes:
>> HOTLINE 1-800-922-0354