[comp.sys.att] Need help connecting a UNIX PC I/O Expansion port to Datakit

res@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Rich Strebendt @ AT&T-C/IS (IW); formerly) (01/20/88)

I have just completed installing and setting up an I/O expansion board
(with two RS232 ports) on my UNIX PC.  I am running version 3.0 system
software.  I cannot get the ports on this board to talk to Datakit.  I
expect that the problem would be similar on ISN.

The terminal emulator fires up just fine, indicating that it is able to
open the port, but I get no response from Datakit when I beat on the
RETURN and ENTER keys.  These are known-good ports -- they work just
fine on tty000.  As I would expect, the terminal emulator reports an
open failure on the other four unequipped ports (tty00[3-7]), so I
think I have installed the board and set the software up properly.  I
did comment out the getty's in the inittab (changed the leading blank
on each line to a colon) since I want to use the port as an out-going
port, not for a terminal connection to the UNIX PC.  During the setup
of the port I specified the TERMINAL option, since that seemed to be
the only available alternative for these ports, though the setup for
tty000 allowed COMPUTER (could it be that the I/O expansion board
driver is unable to handle connections to computers instead of
terminals?).  The stty command redirected from tty001 indicates the
same parameters as for tty000.  In particular, both ports are set to
9600 baud.

Fortunately, I was able to borrow an I/O expansion board before I
ordered a Combo board for myself.  If I cannot hook up to a LAN through
that board, then I will just have to put up with the conflict of trying
to use the same single port for both uucp traffic and for terminal
emulation.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on here?  If the
expansion board driver is unable to handle connections to a LAN, is
there another driver available which can?  Is there some sublty in the
setup that I may have missed?

				Rich Strebendt
				...!ihnp4![iwsl6|ihlpe|ihaxa]!res

arubin@spies.UUCP (Andy Rubin) (01/23/88)

In article <2481@ihlpe.ATT.COM>, res@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Rich Strebendt @ AT&T-C/IS (IW); formerly) writes:
> The terminal emulator fires up just fine, indicating that it is able to
> open the port, but I get no response from Datakit when I beat on the
>
> Does anyone have any idea what might be going on here?  If the
>
> 				Rich Strebendt
> 				...!ihnp4![iwsl6|ihlpe|ihaxa]!res

If I understand the question correctly...

Rich, have you tried to kill the getty running on that port?  You mentioned
that you edited /etc/inittab ( which you're not supposed to do, but I
won't tell - it's "PROGRAM MODIFIED" Urp.)  Each time the 7300 re-boots,
it executes the /etc/profile, which inititalizes the /etc/inittab to the
chosen values at install time.  If they're wrong, and you just edit
the inittab, then getty will still be running.  You can issue the
/etc/getty tty001 <baud> command yourself, for testing purposes.  Be
sure to include the & after the commandline, so you still have use of
the console.

Hope this helped.

--
Spies in the Wire PUBLIC ACCESS UNIX  |  {allegra|ames|cmcl2|ihnp4|linus|uunet|
Mount Kisco, New York                 |     rutgers|gatech|mcnc|cbosgd|sdcsvax|
(914) 666-3997 300/1200 8N1           |                     <arubin@spies.UUCP>