[comp.sys.att] More HD on my 3b1. How?

erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) (01/11/88)

I'm running a 3.5Mb, 67Meg 3b1, Unix 3.0, and I want to put at least
one more hard drive on it.  I think it is *theorhetically* possible,
we did it with a Motorola S8000 w/ no problems.  Just stuck it on the
open card, and did a mount.  Well, there was more to it than that, but...

Specifically:
1. Has anybody out there tried this?  An AT&T Service d00d told me
   "Well, I've seen people do some strange things to these machines"
   but wouldn't elaborate...

2. If the drive's SCSI, which I think it is, how can I get unix to
   recognize more than the 65 megs that it does?  I have a 72Mb
   Hitachi in this one, that's 7 more megs than I'm 'allowed'.

3. If I do crank this up to two or more HD's, at what price?  Will
   the rest of my system grind to a halt while waiting on daisy
   chained hard drives?

Note that I'm not a hardware genius, and would prefer a "Buy part X,
unhook your drive, hook up part X, your drive, and the new drive and reboot"
answer...:-)
--
J. Eric Townsend ->uunet!nuchat!flatline!erict smail:511Parker#2,Hstn,Tx,77007
Just another journalist with too much computing power.| 'Hey, watch me ollie

andys@shlepper.ATT.COM (a.b.sherman) (01/13/88)

In article <287@flatline.UUCP>, erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) writes:
| I'm running a 3.5Mb, 67Meg 3b1, Unix 3.0, and I want to put at least
| one more hard drive on it.  I think it is *theorhetically* possible,
| we did it with a Motorola S8000 w/ no problems.  Just stuck it on the
| open card, and did a mount.  Well, there was more to it than that, but...

It is theoretically impossible.  The disk controller is ST-506, and
there is only a data bus connector for one drive.  Period.  (I looked).

| Specifically:
|
| 2. If the drive's SCSI, which I think it is, how can I get unix to
|    recognize more than the 65 megs that it does?  I have a 72Mb
|    Hitachi in this one, that's 7 more megs than I'm 'allowed'.

The drive is not SCSI, it's ST-506.  The machine has a hardware limit of
8 heads and 1024 cylinders.  Someone else has posted a hardware/firmware
upgrade to increase this.  (Send email to cmv@looney for more
information.)

| 3. If I do crank this up to two or more HD's, at what price?  Will
|    the rest of my system grind to a halt while waiting on daisy
|    chained hard drives?
|
| Note that I'm not a hardware genius, and would prefer a "Buy part X,
| unhook your drive, hook up part X, your drive, and the new drive and reboot"
| answer...:-)

Your best bet is to put the largest drive possible on the system.  That
is 80Meg (67Meg formatted) unless you do the hardware change.  You can't
do anything else, because the hardware won't support it.  The /dev
entries for a second drive are there for the Convergent miniframes used
to develop software for the beast.
--
Andy Sherman / AT&T Bell Laboratories (Medical Diagnostic Systems)
480 Red Hill Road / Middletown NJ 07748 / (201) 615-5708

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (01/13/88)

Ver 3.51, though not terribly publicized will let you custom enter
parameters grater than 67 meg,... but the harware won't let you do
it in reality becuase the dang HD controller chip ain't got enuf
brainz to recognize more than 67 megs.

There is a rumor that Convergent Technologies has a patch for their
incarnation of the "Safari" PC to enable bigger drives.  The mod
requires adding about 6 jumper wires on the motherboard, adding a
PAL decoder chip and swapping in a different HD controller.  In
theory, that should cost under $50 if you do the mod yourself.

I haven't tried doing this [yet] because I have a feeling that my
warranty isn't going to be worth shoot if I kludge the motherboard.

The 3b1/7300 has just a plain old ST506/412 disk interface (unless
they're doning something sneaky).

To answer the question, I don't think a 2nd drives is a practical
reality.  Kludging for one bigger drive is do-able.

gberg@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Greg Berg) (01/14/88)

% / hpcupt1:comp.sys.att / andys@shlepper.ATT.COM (a.b.sherman) writes
% Your best bet is to put the largest drive possible on the system.  That
% is 80Meg (67Meg formatted) unless you do the hardware change.  You can't
% do anything else, because the hardware won't support it.  The /dev
% entries for a second drive are there for the Convergent miniframes used
% to develop software for the beast.
% ----------

	According to AT&T online support, the power supply installed in
	the 7300 with 20MB is not sufficient to feed 40MB or 80MB disks.

	Has anyone done a straight swap of the hard disk with success?
	If so, was the new disk a "fast" or slow variant?

hartman@uiucdcsm.cs.uiuc.edu (01/15/88)

/* Written 11:46 am  Jan 13, 1988 by gberg@hpcupt1.HP.COM in uiucdcsm:comp.sys.att */

>	According to AT&T online support, the power supply installed in
>	the 7300 with 20MB is not sufficient to feed 40MB or 80MB disks.

According to a posting from Craig Votava (ihnp4!looney!cmv) a while back,
the power supply is the same in the 7300 and the 3b1, only the way the
power is routed to the drive is different.

>	Has anyone done a straight swap of the hard disk with success?
>	If so, was the new disk a "fast" or slow variant?

I just (last week) installed a 40mb drive to replace the 20mb drive in my
7300.  My original drive was a Miniscribe 3425, which has an average access
time of 53ms.  I replaced it with a Seagate ST251, a 40ms drive.  The
swap is fairly easy, once you figure out how the thing comes apart.
Response time is a little faster (windows definately seem snappier!),
and I have not had any problems yet (knock on wood...).

Mark Hartman                 ihnp4!uiucdcs!hartman
                             hartman@m.cs.uiuc.edu

bhj@bhjat.UUCP (Burt Janz) (01/17/88)

In article <7010002@hpcupt1.HP.COM>, gberg@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Greg Berg) writes:
> % / hpcupt1:comp.sys.att / andys@shlepper.ATT.COM (a.b.sherman) writes
> % Your best bet is to put the largest drive possible on the system.  That
> % is 80Meg (67Meg formatted) unless you do the hardware change.  You can't
> % do anything else, because the hardware won't support it.  The /dev
> % entries for a second drive are there for the Convergent miniframes used
> % to develop software for the beast.
> % ----------
>
> 	According to AT&T online support, the power supply installed in
> 	the 7300 with 20MB is not sufficient to feed 40MB or 80MB disks.
>
> 	Has anyone done a straight swap of the hard disk with success?
> 	If so, was the new disk a "fast" or slow variant?

I guess this means that I've broken the rules of physics again.  I purchased
a vanilla 3b1 with 1mb and a 20mb Miniscribe (slow access stepper).  As you
may have noticed, that ain't enough to hold all of the development kit and
still have space left for source!  I waited until the warranty period
was over, ripped out (carefully but forcefully) the Miniscribe, and shoved
in (gently but firmly) a Seagate ST251.  I formatted it using the boot disk
and loaded all the software on it.  I've been running happily since.

The power supply puts out a standard amount of jolts at a specified current
rating.  If you can get a drive which rates the same (like I did) but stores
more data... go 4 it!

Burt Janz

..decvax!bhjat!bhj (my Microport system)
..decvax!bhjatt!bhj (my 3b1)

wilber@alice.UUCP (01/19/88)

Burt Janz <bhj@bhjat.UUCP> writes
> In article <7010002@hpcupt1.HP.COM>, gberg@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Greg Berg) writes:
> > 	According to AT&T online support, the power supply installed in
> > 	the 7300 with 20MB is not sufficient to feed 40MB or 80MB disks.
> >
> > 	Has anyone done a straight swap of the hard disk with success?
> > 	If so, was the new disk a "fast" or slow variant?
>
> I guess this means that I've broken the rules of physics again.  I purchased
> a vanilla 3b1 with 1mb and a 20mb Miniscribe (slow access stepper).  As you
> may have noticed, that ain't enough to hold all of the development kit and
> still have space left for source!  I waited until the warranty period
> was over, ripped out (carefully but forcefully) the Miniscribe, and shoved
> in (gently but firmly) a Seagate ST251.  I formatted it using the boot disk
> and loaded all the software on it.  I've been running happily since.
>
> The power supply puts out a standard amount of jolts at a specified current
> rating.  If you can get a drive which rates the same (like I did) but stores
> more data... go 4 it!

I only have a 3b1 but I understand that there are a few important differences
between the 3b1 and the 7300.  One of them is that on the 3b1 the power to the
disk is taken directly from the power supply, whereas on the 7300 the power to
the disk is routed through the motherboard (or so I have heard).  So just
because it's safe to put a big disk on the 3b1 doesn't mean it's necessarily
safe to do so on the 7300.

Now I have a question of my own for some hardware mage.  How much power does
the standard issue 67 Mb (formatted) disk in the 3b1 use?  I'm toying with
the idea of someday doing that much discussed, apparently little tried,
hardware mod that would let me break the 67 Mb limit and go to a bigger disk.
(I like to keep source code around.)  But I don't want to do this unless
I know that the replacement disk doesn't use any more power than the current
one.

Bob Wilber  wilber@research.att.com   ihnp4!gauss!wilber

Disclaimer:  These are the official opinions of the Unites States Government.

wilber@alice.UUCP (01/21/88)

I wrote:
> I only have a 3b1 but I understand that there are a few important differences
> between the 3b1 and the 7300.  One of them is that on the 3b1 the power to the
> disk is taken directly from the power supply, whereas on the 7300 the power to
> the disk is routed through the motherboard (or so I have heard).  So just
> because it's safe to put a big disk on the 3b1 doesn't mean it's necessarily
> safe to do so on the 7300.

Well I was right about how power is routed in the 7300 but was apparently
over cautious -- Craig Votava just posted a long article in unix-pc.general
and att.sys.unixpc about upgrading his 7300, and among other things he put
in a moby (86 Mb) disk.  So it seems to be an okay thing to do.

Bob Wilber  wilber@research.att.com   ihnp4!gauss!wilber

Disclaimer:  These are the official opinions of the United States Government.

Emacs -- it's not just a text editor -- it's a cult.

bhj@bhjat.UUCP (Burt Janz) (01/22/88)

In article <7637@alice.UUCP>, wilber@alice.UUCP writes:
> I only have a 3b1 but I understand that there are a few important differences
> between the 3b1 and the 7300.  One of them is that on the 3b1 the power to the
> disk is taken directly from the power supply, whereas on the 7300 the power to
> the disk is routed through the motherboard (or so I have heard).  So just

Now I'm confused.  The monitor says "ATT UNIX PC", the box says "3B1", and
support says that I have a 3B1.  But, the power supply IS routed on the
motherboard.  I found this out when my system went dead.

I shut my system down over the Christmas holiday weekend to prevent any
possible problems from power outages.  So, I came in on Monday and turned
the system on.  Noise, dots on the screen... and more dots... and more dots...

The hard disk never went through it's initialization.  I took the system
home, opened it up, and used my DVM to check the power supply.  There are two
sets of power cables on the motherboard: one for the hard disk, and one for
the floppy.  The floppy showed both 5v and 12v, but the hard disk showed only
the 12v.  Using the DVM, I discovered that the board runs from the power
supply went to both the cable sets... parallel connection.  So, I resoldered
the wires to the motherboard, and... POWER!!!  A bad solder connection.

Please note that I said that the power runs were on the motherboard.  My
system is (supposedly) a 3B1.  So, do I have a 7300 in a 3B1 wrapper?

Burt Janz
..decvax!bhjat!bhj
..decvax!bhjatt!bhj

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (01/25/88)

My 3B1 hard disk has a cable that runs straight to a connector on
the power pack module.  My first motherboard was that way.  When my
machine boots, it says something like "Main Board P3..P5" just
after the kernel loads.  There was a sticker on the first
motherboard I had that said "Rev E", I think.  When I got a strnage
panic message, AT&T decided to replace the motherboard a few weeks
ago.  The replacement board had obviously been in used some place
else, as there were marks of previous lock washers around the
screws, etc.  That board had a sticker that said "Rev H", I think.
Physically, both boards looked identical and had the very same
fix-up jumper wires.  Anyway, both motherboards had only a single
power socket for the floppy drive, though there were some solder
pads where a power cable for the hard disk could have been put.
Most of the ICs on my "new" motherbaord were date-coded about the
middle of 1986.

I don't know how feasible it might be to solder your drive power
cable right to the power pack.  I agree that it would be a good
idea to "cut out the middle man" and not send hard disk power
through the motherboard.

--Bill