[comp.sys.att] Need help with phone device on 7300/3b1

dave@galaxia.zone1.com (David H. Brierley) (01/27/88)

Well, after feeling good about being to help someone else with a problem
related to using the phone device I now find that I am stuck.  I am trying
to adapt a comm program to be able to work with a dial-in security system.
Here is a brief description of the actions that need to be taken (for those
not familiar with one of these beasts):

1. User dials phone number of DISS unit
2. DISS answers phone and gives "hello" prompt
3. User types in ID number
4. DISS verifies ID, hangs up, and calls back
5. User must now hang up phone and wait for call back
6. When call back is received, user must generate ORIGINATE tone
7. User is now connected to remote system

The first part was relatively easy.  I got to the point where my program
could dial the number using the internal modem, connect up with the DISS,
and allow me to type in my ID number.  The DISS then hangs up and my program
ceases to function.  The program is ignoring the fact that carrier has gone
away since it is expecting that to happen.  My problem is that I cant seem
to get the phone to hang up.  I have tried issuing a PIOCDISC and even went
so far as to close the device and re-open it again.  The PIOCDISC seems to
have no effect on the "offhook" status.  Doing a close/open made the offhook
indicator in "c_linestatus" go away but it doesn't seem to have actually
put the phone back on the hook.  The reason I say this is that I never get
the call back from the DISS (I am using a 90 second timer, the DISS always
calls back within 30 seconds) but as soon as the program exits and closes
the device I can hear the relays clicking, indicating that a call is coming
in (the DISS will retry up to 3 times if the line is busy).  I also tried
setting the "flash" time to 5 seconds (5000 milliseconds) and using the
PIOCFLASH command.  This had no apparent effect.

If anyone out there has ever done any extensive work with the phone device
I would appreciate hearing from them.  If it makes any difference to you,
the DISS is a "Defender II" unit from Digital Pathways and the comm program
I am working with is the "Fred" program that was posted to alt.sources not
too long ago.
--
David H. Brierley
Home: dave@galaxia.zone1.com	{cbosgd,gatech,necntc,ukma}!rayssd!galaxia!dave

dhb@rayssd.ray.com (David H. Brierley) (01/29/88)

In article <421@galaxia.zone1.com> I wrote:
> [ question about how to get the phone to hang up so that I could
>   accept a call-back from a dial in security system.]

I have just discovered that the mail forwarder for "zone1.com" is out
of commision and is expected to remain that way for at least a week.
If anyone tried to send a reply to my question would you please resend
it to the address listed below.  The same request applies for anyone
who attempted to reply to my question about 3 1/2 inch disk drives.
Thanks in advance.
--
David H. Brierley
Raytheon Submarine Signal Division / 1847 West Main Road / Portsmouth, RI 02871

Phone:      (401)-847-8000 x4073
Internet:   dhb@rayssd.ray.com
Uucp:       {cbosgd, gatech, linus, mirror, necntc, uiucdcs} !rayssd!dhb