[comp.sys.att] 80x50 display on 6300

aptr@ur-tut.UUCP (The Wumpus) (01/15/88)

Because of several requests, I will be posting the programs to set and
unset the 80x50 display mode of the 6300 in the near future.

--
The Wumpus        UUCP:   {cmcl2!decvax}!rochester!ur-tut!aptr
                  BITNET: aptrccss@uorvm

ir1@sdcc6.ucsd.EDU (ir1) (01/15/88)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.att
Subject: Help with a Seagate 251 (slow speed)
Help. I just put a Seagate 251 40M disk into my ATT6300.
This replaced my Seagate 225 20 M disk. The new disk is partioned
into a small C drive and 2 20M big partitions (D and E).
I also was told I needed a new controller so I put in a
Western Digital WX1. Low and behold my access time almost doubled
(measured by the  Norton SI and by my stopwatch). The specs on the
251 are better than those for the 225 so this shouldn't happen. I
suspect the interleave is at fault, but Seagate doesn't seem to want
to tell me what the interleave should be.

Can anyone tell me what the optimal interleave for my disk
combination is?

Thanks in advance

Neal Beck
Dept. of Pol. Sci.
UC San Diego

beck@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu or beck@ucsd.BITNET

punia@uvm-gen.UUCP (Card 54...) (01/18/88)

> Help. I just put a Seagate 251 40M disk into my ATT6300.
>
> Can anyone tell me what the optimal interleave for my disk
> combination is?
>
> beck@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu or beck@ucsd.BITNET

I'm not running that exact combo, but when I replaced my AT&T controller with a
WX1.. and added a second HDU, I found that an interleave of 5 gave the highest
data rate, as measured with CORETEST.  I've seen 6 mentioned in a few places,
too.  The change gave me almost a fourfold increase in transfer rate, probably
about what it was with the original AT&T (DTC) controller.  Oh, the disks are
one Olivetti (the original side attached 10M) and a Miniscribe 3212 10M.

--
UUCPath --> ...!{linus,decvax}!dartvax!uvm-gen!punia  David T. Punia
UUCPathalias --> punia@uvm-gen.uucp                   Univ. of VT CSEE dept.

ccoprrd@pyr.gatech.EDU (Richard Dervan) (01/19/88)

I'm having trouble getting the 50 line mode.  It does go into the small
letters, but it will not scroll past the 24th line and everything over-
writes everything else on the last line.  Do you know what the problem
could be?  Thanks in advance.
-Richard
--
Richard B Dervan - Office of Computing Services          | Go you fuzzy |
Georgia Insitute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332   |     Bees     |

ekrell@hector.UUCP (Eduardo Krell) (01/20/88)

In article <4829@pyr.gatech.EDU> ccoprrd@pyr.gatech.EDU (Richard Dervan) writes:

>I'm having trouble getting the 50 line mode.  It does go into the small
>letters, but it will not scroll past the 24th line and everything over-
>writes everything else on the last line.

Sounds like you're changing the window size (in the sense of number of
rows and columns that fit in it) by changing the font size but you're
not telling the tty driver on the host, so "vi" and others think
nothing has changed.

The way to fix this depends on the host and what version of Unix is
running on it.

    Eduardo Krell                   AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ

    UUCP: {ihnp4,ucbvax}!ulysses!ekrell		ARPA: ekrell%ulysses@att.arpa

aptr@ur-tut.UUCP (The Wumpus) (01/20/88)

In article <4829@pyr.gatech.EDU> ccoprrd@pyr.gatech.EDU (Richard Dervan) writes:
>I'm having trouble getting the 50 line mode.  It does go into the small
>letters, but it will not scroll past the 24th line and everything over-
>writes everything else on the last line.  Do you know what the problem
>could be?

The problem probably is related to having ANSI.SYS installed.  Some
of the versions of Ansi.sys (including some from AT&T) do not
understand the idea of an 80x50 screen.  They only know about 80x25.
This causes them to not generate a line feed at the end of the last
line.  I am not exactly sure why, but I think Ansi.sys is expecting
the display hardware to scroll the screen.  In 25 line mode this works
because the lst line is the 25th.  In 50 line mode, the last line is
the 50th and not the 25th.  The solution I suggest is to boot your
computer without Ansi.sys.

I hope this helps,

--
The Wumpus        UUCP:   {cmcl2!decvax}!rochester!ur-tut!aptr
                  BITNET: aptrccss@uorvm
		  Internet: aptr@tut.cc.rochester.edu
Disclaimer: "Who? When? Me? It was the Booze!"  - M. Binkley

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (01/21/88)

Fansi Console is a share-ware program that is published by Non
Smoking Software that has integral support for weird screen
configurations.  It is a nicely done job.  Check just about any
issue of Byte or Infoworld for their advertisements.  The AT&T
Ansi.sys at least up to DOS3.1 doesn't seem to know that screen
configurations greater than 80*25 exist, and just scrolls in the
top half of the 50 line screen.

--Bill

kak@stc-auts.UUCP (Kris Kugel) (01/29/88)

Fansi Console dosn't seem to know enough about DEB cards
for the special functions of the DEB to work right when
it's installed.  I have found my experience getting
the DEB card to work with anything I want to use
very discouraging.