[comp.sys.att] 3B1 and MSDOS Disks

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) (02/06/88)

What are the UNIX commands on the 7300 for reading from and writing to
an MSDOS-formatted floppy disk?  (I know I can do it with 'ua', but
....)  Thanks.

--
Peter Holsberg                  UUCP: {rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division             CompuServe: 70240,334

jr@amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) (02/08/88)

In article <187@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:
>What are the UNIX commands on the 7300 for reading from and writing to
>an MSDOS-formatted floppy disk?  (I know I can do it with 'ua', but
>....)  Thanks.

Pete:  Don't even *THINK* of using the stuff that comes from AT&T for
dealing with MSDOS floppies.  You want the public domain mtools package.
I believe it was written by Emmet Gray (fthood!egray) -- somebody should
have it archived somewhere.  It works nicely from the shell, and allows
wildcards, which as far as I know the ua tools don't.  mtools uses mread
to read DOS floppies and mwrite to write them.
--
 Jim Rosenberg
     CIS: 71515,124                         decvax!idis! \

ford@crash.cts.com (Michael Ditto) (02/08/88)

In article <187@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:
>What are the UNIX commands on the 7300 for reading from and writing to
>an MSDOS-formatted floppy disk?  (I know I can do it with 'ua', but
>....)  Thanks.

Read Ms.Dos floppy:		/usr/bin/msdos
Write Ms.Dos floppy:		/usr/bin/md_write
Format Ms.Dos floppy:		/usr/bin/md_format

Note that all of these programs do bizarre things to the current window,
so you should probably run them with a program like "windy", or at least
be prepared to fix up the window afterwards.

--

Mike Ditto					-=] Ford [=-
P.O. Box 1721					ford%kenobi@crash.CTS.COM

egray@fthood.UUCP (02/08/88)

You need Mtools...  Below is the 'Readme' file from the AT&T Unix PC
distribution.  Mtools has beeen posted to The Store!, comp.unix.sources,
and unix-pc.sources.  If you cannot get the source from a neighboring
site, send me a note and I'll mail the source to you.

Emmet P. Gray				US Army, HQ III Corps & Fort Hood
...!ihnp4!uiucuxc!fthood!egray		Attn: AFZF-DE-ENV
					Directorate of Engineering & Housing
					Environmental Management Office
					Fort Hood, TX 76544-5057

This is a collection of MSDOS tools to allow you to read and write to
MSDOS formatted diskettes from your AT&T Unix PC 7300.  These commands
are intended to replace the 'md_write' and 'msdos' commands that run
under the User Agent.

Mtools offers a significant advantage over the programs supplied with
your PC 7300.  For example, you can copy several files (or and entire
diskette) with a single command, rather than the UA way of high lighting
and clicking each file one at a time.  The tools closely emulate MSDOS
so that you don't have to learn another command interpreter... you can
just close your eyes, pretend you're on a MSDOS machine, and everything
will work as you'd expect.

The following MSDOS commands are emulated:

Mtool 		MSDOS
name		equivalent	Description
-----		----		-----------
mdel		DEL/ERASE	delete a MSDOS file
mdir		DIR		display a MSDOS directory
mmd		MD/MKDIR	make a MSDOS sub directory
mrd		RD/RMDIR	remove a MSDOS sub directory
mread		COPY		read (copy) a MSDOS file to Unix
mren		REN/RENAME	rename an existing MSDOS file
mtype		TYPE		display contents of a MSDOS file
mwrite		COPY		write (copy) a Unix file to MSDOS
*		CD		change working directory

	* by use of an environmental variable

emigh@ncsugn.ncsu.edu (Ted H. Emigh) (02/09/88)

In article <187@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:
>What are the UNIX commands on the 7300 for reading from and writing to
>an MSDOS-formatted floppy disk?

What you need is mtools, a set of utilities to manipulate MSDOS diskettes.
You should be able to find it on a nearby archive site -- or I can send
them to you.

--
Ted H. Emigh, Dept. Genetics and Statistics, NCSU, Raleigh, NC
uucp:	mcnc!ncsuvx!ncsugn!emigh	internet:  emigh%ncsugn.ncsu.edu

bob@pedsga.UUCP (02/09/88)

In article <2507@crash.cts.com> ford%kenobi@crash.CTS.COM (Michael Ditto) writes:
< about MS-DOS floppies on the 3b1 >

Speaking of which, does anybody out there know if it is possible to
format, read, and write 360k MS-DOS floppies? The reason I ask is that
I recently bought a copy of QuickC for my DOS-73 board and have discovered
that I cant back the damn thing up because it is larger than 320k.
Reading it seems to work ok, but I wonder if in fact I have managed to
read it successfully as it does not compile the sample programs.
I tried creating an 'iv' description file, but couldnt get one that produced
the desired result.  Any help greatly appreciated.

Bob Weiler

psfales@ihlpe.ATT.COM (Pete Fales) (02/09/88)

In article <187@mccc.UUCP>, pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:
> What are the UNIX commands on the 7300 for reading from and writing to
> an MSDOS-formatted floppy disk?  (I know I can do it with 'ua', but
> ....)  Thanks.

A very nice set of commands to do this was posted here a while back.
You could read files, type their contents, write files, delete files, and
get directory listings.  I can mail out copies or repost if there is
enough interest

If you want it DON'T POST.  Send me mail.

--
Peter Fales		UUCP:	...ihnp4!ihlpe!psfales
			work:	(312) 979-7784

rlf@mtgzy.UUCP (XMRN10000[saf]-r.l.fletcher) (02/09/88)

> >What are the UNIX commands on the 7300 for reading from and writing to
> >an MSDOS-formatted floppy disk?
> What you need is mtools, a set of utilities to manipulate MSDOS diskettes.

Ive never heard of mtools, are they different than /usr/bin/MsdosR.sh
/usr/bin/MsdosW.sh, /usr/bin/MsdosF.sh ?

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) (02/10/88)

In article <2507@crash.cts.com> ford%kenobi@crash.CTS.COM (Michael Ditto) writes:
|In article <187@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:
|>What are the UNIX commands on the 7300 for reading from and writing to
|>an MSDOS-formatted floppy disk?  (I know I can do it with 'ua', but
|>....)  Thanks.
|
|Read Ms.Dos floppy:		/usr/bin/msdos
|Write Ms.Dos floppy:		/usr/bin/md_write
|Format Ms.Dos floppy:		/usr/bin/md_format
|
|Note that all of these programs do bizarre things to the current window,
|so you should probably run them with a program like "windy", or at least
|be prepared to fix up the window afterwards.

Thanks, Mike.  I tried these and had no problems with the windows.  BUT,
isn't there some way to emulate MSDOS's
		COPY A:*.* C:
???  This business of copying one file at a time sucks!!

--

eao@anumb.UUCP (e.a.olson) (02/10/88)

In article <187@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:
>What are the UNIX commands on the 7300 for reading from and writing to
>an MSDOS-formatted floppy disk?  (I know I can do it with 'ua', but
>....)  Thanks.

they are:
/usr/bin/MsdosR.sh
/usr/bin/MsdosW.sh
/usr/bin/MsdosF.sh

you'll generally find ua tools in /usr/bin/[A-Z]*

AT&T-BL Ward Hill MA	|	Don't try to out-wierd ME, three-eyes!	|