[comp.sys.att] UUCP BETWEEN HDB and 3B1/7300

peterd@dasys1.UUCP (Peter Dominguez) (02/15/88)

Does anyone know why whenever I uucp something from a SYS V machine using HDB
under v5.2 to a 3B1/7300 the 3B1/7300 fails to disconnect the line after the
transmission. This is getting to be expensive. On the 3B1 side AT&T made a patchto ver 3.51 of uucico but this did not solve the problem. On the machine using
HDB uugetty moniters the line.

--
Peter A. Dominguez
Big Electric Cat Public UNIX -> padinc

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (02/19/88)

With care, you can edit your /etc/inittab entry to make getty
toggle DTR after a certain amount of time if it sees no incoming
characters while running login.  HDB forgets to hang up on its end
when dialing into the 3b1.  I suggest 60 seconds for the timeout
value.  Here is what the inittab entry should look like:

 ph1:2:respawn:/etc/getty -t60 ph1 1200

^                         ^
|                         |
space required            you add this

Be careful when editing inittab.  The warnings are there for a
reason.  See the man page on getty for further details.  You should
reboot after making the change to ensure that inittab gets reread.
You could try telinit q and then kill the getty on ph1, but I feel
safer rebooting.

--Bill

jimmy@gryphon.CTS.COM (Jim Gottlieb) (02/29/88)

In a recent article <2976@dasys1.UUCP>, peterd@dasys1.UUCP (Peter D.) writes:
>Does anyone know why whenever I uucp something from a SYS V machine using HDB
>under v5.2 to a 3B1/7300 the 3B1/7300 fails to disconnect the line after the
>transmission.

The problem is a bug in the uucico that comes with 3.51 ("Communications
Patch") whereby incoming calls to the On-Board Modem are not forced to
disconnect.  Eventually, the calling system times out and the line is
released.  This problem doesn't occur on serial ports.

I complained about this back in October, and in December AT&T downloaded me
a new version that fixes this problem.  The only bug I've found in this new
uucico is there is no way to turn on the modem's speaker.

Prior postings seem to indicate it is OK to redistribute this fix.  It is
sitting in ~/uucico.exec.Z  on denwa, (213)479-2422.

Jim Gottlieb  <jimmy@denwa.UUCP or jimmy@pic.ucla.edu>