[comp.sys.att] PC7300 On Board Modem

gvogel@wsccs.UUCP (George Vogel) (02/21/88)

	We are trying to implement four PC7300's in a college English
lab here in Utah, with one being used as a remote connection to a 3B2/400.
My question is this:  Is there a way to shut auto-answer off on the OBM?
If not, is there a way to disable the modem completely during certain hours of
the day?
(we are sharing one line for voice/data).

Any help would be appreciated!

--
   _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/            NET:!ihun4!utah-cs!utah-g4!uplherc!
  _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/ /               sp7040!obie!wsccs!gvogel

mikel@codas.att.com (Mikel Manitius) (02/26/88)

In article <170@wsccs.UUCP>, gvogel@wsccs.UUCP (George Vogel) writes:

> My question is this:  Is there a way to shut auto-answer off on the OBM?
> If not, is there a way to disable the modem completely during certain hours of
> the day?

OFF:

$ ed /etc/inittab << xxEOFxx
g/ph1/s/^ /:/
xxEOFxx
$ init q

ON:

$ ed /etc/inittab << xxEOFxx
g/ph1/s/^:/ /
xxEOFxx
$ init q

--
					Mikel Manitius
					mikel@codas.att.com

ford@kenobi.UUCP (Mike Ditto) (02/28/88)

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.41.10 of Fri Oct  2 1987 on kenobi (usg-unix-v)

In article <170@wsccs.UUCP> gvogel@wsccs.UUCP (George Vogel) writes:

>	 We are trying to implement four PC7300's in a college English
> lab here in Utah, with one being used as a remote connection to a 3B2/400.
> My question is this:  Is there a way to shut auto-answer off on the OBM?
> If not, is there a way to disable the modem completely during certain hours of
> the day?
> (we are sharing one line for voice/data).

Change the "respawn" entry for ph0 in /etc/inittab to "off".  This
will disable the getty on the modem, regardless of what the phone
manager/UA set it to.  (They normally enable/disable the port by
putting a space or a colon in the first character of the line.)

Dialling out and voice use will still work fine.

					-=] Ford [=-

"Well, he didn't know what to do, so	(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
he decided to look at the government,	ford%kenobi@crash.CTS.COM
to see what they did, and scale it	...!sdcsvax!crash!kenobi!ford
down and run his life that way." -- Laurie Anderson

jr@amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) (02/28/88)

In article <170@wsccs.UUCP> gvogel@wsccs.UUCP (George Vogel) writes:
>My question is this:  Is there a way to shut auto-answer off on the OBM?

My guess is you are likely to get a zillion responses here, but anyhoo:

The shell command

getoff.sh ph0

should do exactly what you want.  I normally run with the OBM configured for
data on line 1, achieved with phtoggle, and have a getoff.sh after the
phtoggle.  If you want to control this by time of day just put getoff.sh ph0
and geton.sh ph0 commands into your crontab for whatever times you like.
This should work.

I'm sure there's a way to do this from ua, but I never used that contraption.
--
 Jim Rosenberg
     CIS: 71515,124                         decvax!idis! \

eao@anumb.UUCP (e.a.olson) (03/01/88)

BETTER (in crontab):

off --
setgetty ph0 0

on --
setgetty ph0 1

if you have 3.51, you can also use phtoggle; i do.
i have cron switch the phone to data overnight and while i'm at work,
and back to voice when i'm home.

phtoggle's big limitation: you can't force it;
it only inverts the current setting.
if there's a power hit in the middle of the data period,
the pc will reboot in voice mode and switch to data at the next
cronned phtoggle when it should go to voice.

			|	"Something wonderful will happen!"	|