[comp.sys.att] UNIX-pc fans

kennedy@tolerant.UUCP (Bill Kennedy) (03/02/88)

This may have been repeated many times but I have a customer who
reported it and it could save someone a lot of money if they see
this first.  This fellow's system is normally left powered on but
he took off for a few day's vacation so he turned it off, it's a
2Mb/72Mb 3B1.  After he got back he powered it back up and left
for work.  That night there was that awful aroma in his house and
the computer was dead.  The power supply and motherboard were fried.

The service technician that fixed it explained that the right hand
fan *should* always come on when you power up but sometimes it does
not.  That is what had happened, the fan didn't come on so everything
went south.  His caution is to be *double darned* sure that the right
hand fan is running when you power on and cycle the switch until it
does if it doesn't.  Apologies if this is repetitive but he sure
didn't know about it, nor did I.

Opinions expressed are my own, I am a contractor at Tolerant.  They are
nice enough to let me use their equipment, don't be mean and blame me
on them.

Bill Kennedy ...{rutgers,cbosgd,ihnp4!petro}!ssbn!bill or bill@ssbn.WLK.COM

lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) (03/06/88)

In article <1360@tolerant.UUCP> kennedy@tolerant.UUCP (Bill Kennedy) writes:

|>The service technician that fixed it explained that the right hand
|>fan *should* always come on when you power up but sometimes it does
|>not.  That is what had happened, the fan didn't come on so everything
|>went south.  His caution is to be *double darned* sure that the right
|>hand fan is running when you power on and cycle the switch until it
|>does if it doesn't.  Apologies if this is repetitive but he sure
|>didn't know about it, nor did I.

The 3B1's only have one fan (the right hand fan).  For some reason they
aren't very reliable.  I work for an AT&T VAR and we've had 5 or
so customer with fan problems (out of 26)  Not very good.  Even my own
personal UNIX pc was stricken with the fan-burnout problem.  Instead of
using AT&T service ($100 for the fan part alone) I went to my local Radio
Shack and bought two 12VDC fans.  The are both running now in my UNIX pc
for about 2 months (no problems...)  They are even quieter than the
AT&T fans.   I think the two fans might give extra protection, I'm not
sure though since most of the heat is on the right side (where the power
supply is).

After seeing the top cover actually WARP because of the heat, I got a
little scared.  What if I wasn't home when this happened ? :-(

							-Lenny
--
US MAIL  : Lenny Tropiano, ICUS Computer Group        IIIII  CCC U   U  SSS
           PO Box 1                                     I   C    U   U S

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- Resident E-mail Hack) (03/08/88)

In article <279@icus.UUCP> lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>The 3B1's only have one fan (the right hand fan).  For some reason they
>aren't very reliable.  I work for an AT&T VAR and we've had 5 or
>so customer with fan problems (out of 26)  Not very good.  Even my own
>personal UNIX pc was stricken with the fan-burnout problem.  Instead of
>using AT&T service ($100 for the fan part alone) I went to my local Radio
>Shack and bought two 12VDC fans.  The are both running now in my UNIX pc
>for about 2 months (no problems...)  They are even quieter than the
>AT&T fans.   I think the two fans might give extra protection, I'm not
>sure though since most of the heat is on the right side (where the power
>supply is).

weeell..  our hardware guy talked to the local serviceman about this
and found out that 7300's (i.e. the version that has two fans and
a slow disk) have more frequent problems with floppies going out.
This is because the fan on the left hand side is drawing most of its'
air through that opening.

As for the fans themselves going bad.  He opened one up and found out
that the lubrication had dried out.  He tried lubricating it with
something and that worked for a couple of days but eventually failed.

>After seeing the top cover actually WARP because of the heat, I got a
>little scared.  What if I wasn't home when this happened ? :-(

yeah!  that's really interesting seeing that happen ...
--
<---- David Herron -- The E-Mail guy            <david@ms.uky.edu>
<---- or:                {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET