[comp.sys.att] UNIXpc discontinued...

darren@bacchus (Darren Friedlein) (03/02/88)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I was just talking with Mark Dill
(AT&T public relations) and he informed me that the UNIXpc has been
discontinued, that no more will be made or sold, and that AT&T is putting
its UN*X weight behid their new 386 machine.  He said that AT&T will
continue to support the UNIXpc (service contracts, expansion boards, etc.)
but I don't think we'll see many more software updates from them.

BTW:  If their are any UNIXpc users out there in or near the Research
Triangle Park, please send me mail.

-Darren

/******                      /*****       {mcnc}            Darren G. Friedlein
 *     *      /******        *            {icus}  Rt 4 Box 416, Durham NC 27703
 *     *      *              *            {ethos}    data(bacchus):919/596-7746
 *     *urham \*****\        *     ompany {gladys}           voice:919/596-9492
\******             *oftware \*****       {bakerst}!bacchus!darren
              ******/
"I broke a mirror in hy house - I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck but
my lawyer thinks he can get me five."            -Steven Wright

isaac@gethen.UUCP (Isaac Rabinowitz) (03/07/88)

In article <246@bacchus>, darren@bacchus (Darren Friedlein) writes:

> I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I was just talking with Mark Dill
> (AT&T public relations) and he informed me that the UNIXpc has been
> discontinued, that no more will be made or sold, and that AT&T is putting
> its UN*X weight behid their new 386 machine.  He said that AT&T will
> continue to support the UNIXpc (service contracts, expansion boards, etc.)
> but I don't think we'll see many more software updates from them.

This might be an appropriate time to revive the following topic.  The
Unix PC is actually manufactured by Convergent Technologies in San Jose.
The contract between CT and ATT forbids CT selling machines to anybody
except ATT.

About 1 1/2 years ago I was a CT employee.  It was clear even then that
the product was dead and that ATT was continuing to buy them only out
of bureaucratic inertia.  Paul Ely used to tell us that the only reason
the machine didn't move was ATT's failure to market it properly; he
hoped to obtain the right to sell the machine to other OEMs and/or under
CT's label.  Don't know where this went, as I (and 1/4 of my co-workers)
left the company about that time.  But I wonder what would happen if
CT got a few thousand inquiries of the form "Are you gonna sell it
yourself now?"

pete@tsc.dec.com (Pete Schmitt) (03/08/88)

In article <749@gethen.UUCP>, isaac@gethen.UUCP (Isaac Rabinowitz) writes:
> About 1 1/2 years ago I was a CT employee.  It was clear even then that
> the product was dead and that ATT was continuing to buy them only out
> of bureaucratic inertia.  Paul Ely used to tell us that the only reason
> the machine didn't move was ATT's failure to market it properly; he
> hoped to obtain the right to sell the machine to other OEMs and/or under
> CT's label.  Don't know where this went, as I (and 1/4 of my co-workers)
> left the company about that time.  But I wonder what would happen if
> CT got a few thousand inquiries of the form "Are you gonna sell it
> yourself now?"

I certainly be interested to know if the machine is still going to be
produced.  I had one (7300) at home when I worked for AT&T and thought
it was a great workstation, but I think it should have been sold as a
PC and not a workstation.  Will CT sell this, if so I'll probably
buy one.

friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) (03/08/88)

<
< I certainly be interested to know if the machine is still going to be
< produced.  I had one (7300) at home when I worked for AT&T and thought
< it was a great workstation, but I think it should have been sold as a
< PC and not a workstation.  Will CT sell this, if so I'll probably
< buy one.

I am virtually certain that I have seen a CT ad with the little
guy in it.  This was somewhat after AT&T stopped pushing them,
and I think it was model "S/50" or something; it clearly had the
same footprint.  Anybody else seen this?  It would have been
a year or so ago...
--
Life : Stephen J. Friedl @ V-Systems, Inc./Santa Ana, CA   *Hi Mom*
CSNet: friedl%vsi.uucp@kent.edu  ARPA: friedl%vsi.uucp@uunet.uu.net

davek@heurikon.UUCP (Dave Klann) (03/10/88)

In article <373@vsi.UUCP> friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
>In article <371@tsc.dec.com>, pete@tsc.dec.com (Pete Schmitt) writes:
>< In article <749@gethen.UUCP>, isaac@gethen.UUCP (Isaac Rabinowitz) writes:
>< > ... But I wonder what would happen if
><
>< I certainly be interested to know if the machine is still going to be
>
>I am virtually certain that I have seen a CT ad with the little
>guy in it.  This was somewhat after AT&T stopped pushing them,
>and I think it was model "S/50" or something; it clearly had the
>same footprint.  Anybody else seen this?  It would have been
>a year or so ago...
>--
>Life : Stephen J. Friedl @ V-Systems, Inc./Santa Ana, CA   *Hi Mom*
>uucp : {kentvax, uunet, attmail, ihnp4!amdcad!uport}!vsi!friedl

Well, before this gets out of hand...  About a year ago (I forget the
exact date) AT&T made an announcement with CT that the two companies
signd an agreement to let Convergent market the UNIXpc directly.
The "CT UNIXpc" was indeed sold under the model name "S/50."  Last
spring, however, (I think it was about May) Convergent announced that
the product was "MD" (manufacturer discontinued).

At that point AT&T was still wondering what to do with the box
(actually, they probably knew what they were going to do, but it wasn't
public).  Then, I think it was May 18th, the fire sale (to employees)
was announced.  The rest is history...

Not to fan the flames of the rumor mill too much... Back when I bought
my UNIXpc (I was an AT&T employee then) there was some talk of AT&T
Teletype possibly picking up the production of the product if CT ever
pulled the plug.  ...Don't think it's too likely though; the '386 family
seems to be the machine of choice.

Oh well, I guess we can consider ourselves part of an elite group :---)

David

eao@anumb.UUCP (e.a.olson) (03/11/88)

In article <373@vsi.UUCP> friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
>In article <371@tsc.dec.com>, pete@tsc.dec.com (Pete Schmitt) writes:
>< In article <749@gethen.UUCP>, isaac@gethen.UUCP (Isaac Rabinowitz) writes:
>< > ... But I wonder what would happen if
>< > CT got a few thousand inquiries of the form "Are you gonna sell it
>< > yourself now?"
>
>I am virtually certain that I have seen a CT ad with the little
>guy in it.

yes, it was the s/50.
i called them as soon as i saw it because we were developing a product
based on the 7300/3b1/s4, and they told me that the s/50 would only last
as long as their parts stock held out.

btw, if you're really interested in the unix pc concept, check out the
comp.sys.nsc32k bb; we're discussing the design of a pc-at replacement
motherboard which will run unix.

andy hay		+-----------------------------------------------+
happy 3b1 owner		|	"Something wonderful will happen!"	|
ihnp4!mvuxq!adh		+-----------------------------------------------+

vince@tc.fluke.COM (Craig Johnson) (03/12/88)

In article <373@vsi.UUCP>, friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
> I am virtually certain that I have seen a CT ad with the little
> guy in it.  This was somewhat after AT&T stopped pushing them,
> and I think it was model "S/50" or something; it clearly had the
> same footprint.  Anybody else seen this?  It would have been
> a year or so ago...

I have in front of me a 2-page Convergent Technologies ad from the May
'87 issue of Mini-Micro Systems magazine (pp. 30-31).  This is the last
ad I have seen from CT.  (How healthy is CT?)  The ad displays 6 models
of their "Workgroup Server Family".  With the exception of the S/50
(3B1), all of the others are 68020 based.  The S/50 is obviously the low
end model.  The S/50 is pictured with the User Agent windows displayed.
The description reads, "A 'personal' UNIX system that doubles as a server
for up to five users."

The end of the ad reads,

	Standards, enhancements, connectivity and a great
	VAR program.  To find out more about these areas
	of opportunity, call us today at 1-800-832-2255,
	ext. 296.  In Europe, ring 44-3444-11707.  Or write
	us: Convergent Technologies, 2700 North First Street,
	San Jose, CA 95150-6685, Mail Stop 10-015.

If someone happens to speak with CT, perhaps you can report back on
what you find out.

	Craig V. Johnson		...!fluke!vince
	John Fluke Mfg. Co.
	Everett, WA