[comp.sys.att] Want to buy 2 MB memory board for UNIX PC

riddle@woton.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle ) (02/23/88)

We are looking to buy a new or used 2 Megabyte RAM expansion board for the
UNIX PC, AT&T part number 405056359.  Please quote a price and send a brief
history of the board to me at one of the addresses below.  Thanks.

--- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")
--- Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Shriners Burns Institute.
--- riddle@woton.UUCP  {ihnp4,harvard}!ut-sally!im4u!woton!riddle
--- Shriners Burns Institute, 610 Texas Ave. Rm. 4-8, Galveston, TX 77553 USA
--- telephone (409)-761-4701

riddle@woton.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle ) (02/27/88)

> We are looking to buy a new or used 2 Megabyte RAM expansion board for the
> UNIX PC, AT&T part number 405056359.  Please quote a price and send a brief
> history of the board to me at one of the addresses below.  Thanks.

I haven't received any positive responses from the net, but for any of
you who are shopping for memory yourselves, I found another source you
might be interested in:

A company called Piiceon makes its own 2-Mb memory board for the UNIX
PC.  The boards were out of production for a while, but they're doing
another run and my impression is that they will continue to do so as
long as there are buyers.  Given that AT&T boards are hard to find,
this is an encouraging thought.  Piiceon's prices are also better than
AT&T's.

The only fly I've found in the ointment so far is an unconfirmed rumor
that the Piiceon boards work well with 7300s but that a certain
fraction of them flake out with 3B1s.  Piiceon has told me that they
hope to fix the problem and that they will happily trade boards with
anyone who has problems until the luck of the draw yields one that
works.

Anyway, if you think this possibility is worth exploring, Piiceon's
sales rep is Rod Gilchrist at 512-328-5614.

[I have no connection with Piiceon except as a potential customer.]

--- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")
--- Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.
--- riddle@woton.UUCP  {ihnp4,harvard}!ut-sally!im4u!woton!riddle

brant@manta.UUCP (Brant Cheikes) (03/10/88)

In article <1030@woton.UUCP> riddle@woton.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle) writes:
>> We are looking to buy a new or used 2 Megabyte RAM expansion board for the
>> UNIX PC [...]
>A company called Piiceon makes its own 2-Mb memory board for the UNIX
>PC.

I have a little more information on this topic to share.  I spoke with
the Piiceon (sp?) sales rep, and he told me the following:

1. The mem boards they currently supply are hard-wired to a low-end
address of 512Kb.  That is, the boards supply memory in the
addressable range 512K to 2Mb+512Kb.  Thus the boards aren't quite
right for machines such as mine, with 2Mb on the motherboard.
Translation: we'd have to let Craig Votava loose on them with his
soldering tools.

2. Piiceon is very soon (a few days?) starting a production run of
various models of mem board upgrades with different addressable memory
ranges, including those that start at 2Mb.

3. Piiceon has made an arrangement to sell all their boards to
Technology Resource Center (TRC).  Apparently, TRC bought out AT&T's
stock of UNIXpc's to sell on their own.  They want to be the sole
supplier of the mem upgrades manufactured by Piiceon.

4. I was assured that the upgrades would be "very competitively
priced" by TRC, whatever the heck that means.

5. The sales rep (Rod Gilchrist) asked me to have people direct their
inquiries to:

	Ellis Goldberg
	Technology Resource Center
	+1 213 934 9611 (Los Angeles)
	428 North Formosa Ave
	Los Angeles, CA 90036

Who knows, maybe these Piiceon/TRC folks may end up taking over for
the now-defunct (apparently) Amperfax.
--
Brant Cheikes
University of Pennsylvania

wilkes@mips.COM (John Wilkes) (03/12/88)

In article <342@manta.UUCP> brant@manta.UUCP (Brant Cheikes) writes:
> [talking about Piiceon memory boards]
>4. I was assured that the upgrades would be "very competitively
>priced" by TRC, whatever the heck that means.

I have spoken with both Rod Gilchrist of Piiceon and Ellis Goldberg of TRC.
Mr. Gilchrist quoted me a price of $800 for the board, and Mr. Goldberg
informed me that TRC would honor Piiceon's price.  TRC also has the ATT
"combo board" (2 serial ports + 512K, upgradable to 1.5M) for the same
price.

I noticed an ad in _UnixWorld_ (Feb. '88, pg. 83) for an outfit in Georgia
called Digital Data Systems which claimed that the 3B1's disk was
"expandable to 114MB".  Anyone know what they're talking about?  (I called
them and was not able to talk to anyone who knew anything.)

John Wilkes
--
-- @work:
--	  {decwrl,ames,pyramid,prls}!mips!wilkes

mpatnode@polyslo.UUCP (Mike Patnode) (03/13/88)

%
[...]
%	+1 213 934 9611 (Los Angeles)
%	428 North Formosa Ave
%	Los Angeles, CA 90036
%
%Who knows, maybe these Piiceon/TRC folks may end up taking over for
%the now-defunct (apparently) Amperfax.
%--
%Brant Cheikes
%University of Pennsylvania
%Department of Computer and Information Science
%ARPA: brant@linc.cis.upenn.edu, UUCP: ...drexel!manta!brant

I recently got TRC's catalogue and it lists the 2MB RAM expansion as
$1,495.

Other products include the following:
	1. Dual rs232 ports		$395
	2. Dual rs232 with 512k		$795
	3. 5 slot expansion bus		$1699
	4. 23MB external tape		$1369
	5. 40MB upgrade for 7300	$2995
	6. 67MB upgrade for 7300	$3395
	7. DOS-73 coprocessor		$795

I have no relationship what-so-ever with TRC.
--
Mike "Dodger" Patnode          | (n)   ..csustan!polyslo!mpatnode
Yitbos Innovations Inc.        | (s)   ..sdsu!polyslo!mpatnode

wilkes@mips.COM (John Wilkes) (03/16/88)

In article <1538@polyslo.UUCP> mpatnode@polyslo.UUCP (Mike Patnode) writes:

>I recently got TRC's catalogue and it lists the 2MB RAM expansion as
>$1,495.

That's their price for AT&T 2M boards, not Piiceon.  Their price for
Piiceon 2M boards is $800, I think.

>Other products include the following:
>	1. Dual rs232 ports		$395

They do not have any of these in stock, nor are they likely to in the
future, unless somebody starts producing them again.

>	2. Dual rs232 with 512k		$795

They do have these in stock, and if you have a DRAM source, you can plug on
an additional 1M for 1.5M total on the board.

>	6. 67MB upgrade for 7300	$3395

And I paid around $2300 for a 2M/67M 3B1 including 3.51 and development
set!  TRC themselves still have a few 3B1s in stock for considerably less
than $3395!

>I have no relationship what-so-ever with TRC.

Me, neither.  Other than a potential customer, that is.

John Wilkes