[comp.sys.att] 3b1 terminal emulator

richard@islenet.UUCP (Richard Foulk) (03/06/88)

In some recent postings several people have said that they're
using the ATE terminal emulator and that it works just fine
for them.  I tried it out a couple times quite some time ago
and decided that it's extremely slow response made it completely
unusable.  I have been using cu (which also comes with the
machine) ever since.

After reading these peopled!amemments I tried the ATE package again
(I have vers. 3.51 or the op sys) and found it to be even slower
than I remembered it.  Printing long lines of text it often pauses
four and five times per line!  This is at a measly 1200 baud.

What's going on here?  Am I doing something wrong or what?

--
Richard Foulk		...{vortex,ihnp4}!islenet!richard
Honolulu, Hawaii

th@cup.portal.com (03/11/88)

Naw.  It's not just you.  The ATE emulator (aka `async_main') is just
pure garbage.  It fails the Per Lindberg Vt100 validation suite within
seconds.  And its speed (hah!) is slower than frozen molasses.  And
using cu (from the 3B1's console) isn't much better.  The speed problem
has gotta be in the window drivers, because ...

hooking up a REAL VT100 to a serial port on the 3B1 at 9600 baud, logging
in to the 3B1, then using cu to call out (on another serial port or my
machine), the performance was VERY acceptable!  Sheesh ... using the 3B1
as a "buffer" is a bit extravagant!  :-)

Sooooo, WHAT does it take to correct the GLARING deficiencies of the 3B1's
window driver(s)?    (oops: 5 lines above should be: "...port ON my ...")

egray@fthood.UUCP (03/14/88)

Well... how about an alternate solution?

A public domain ProComm "work-a-like" called Pcomm was just posted to the
obscure news category unix-pc.sources.

It doesn't emulate any terminal (if you're on the Unix PC console, the
other end needs the "unixpc" termcap/terminfo).  It's performance is quite
acceptable (especialy if compared to the ATE software).

Have fun...

E. Gray

zam@mhuxu.UUCP (Martin Zam) (03/15/88)

I just got my 3.51 fix disk because the terminal emulators I've tried all
lock up the entire system.  The 3.51 emulator is many times slower than the
3.5 emulator, but the fix disk has a faster version of the 3.51 emulator.

I have a replacement chip coming my way to see if this fixes my emulator
problems.  If it does, I'll post news telling people how to get this hardware
upgrade.  By the way, the fix disk has 8 different upgrades for 3.51 UNIX.
I got it from the hotline by complaining about the system freezing up in
terminal emulation.  I've heard the system also freezes during uucp transfers.

					Martin Zam
					mhuxu!zam

gmark@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Stewart) (03/16/88)

In article <7344@mhuxu.UUCP>, zam@mhuxu.UUCP (Martin Zam) writes:
> upgrade.  By the way, the fix disk has 8 different upgrades for 3.51 UNIX.
> I got it from the hotline by complaining about the system freezing up in
> terminal emulation.  I've heard the system also freezes during uucp transfers.

Okay, so a fix disk exists.  Now why didn't AT&T send out announcements to
owners, like that other giant Radio Shack did for me?  Or did others get them?
Or are the fixes imperceptible?  Comments?  Offers to copy disks for owners of
3.51?

					G. Mark Stewart
					ATT-BTL (yes, that's right) Naperville
					ixlpq!gms 979-0914

rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) (03/18/88)

>Okay, so a fix disk exists.  Now why didn't AT&T send out announcements to
>owners, like that other giant Radio Shack did for me?  Or did others get them?
>Or are the fixes imperceptible?  Comments?  Offers to copy disks for owners of
>3.51?

I've personally never seen AT&T offer anything to anyone, unless it's
a machine they're particularly interested in.  For everything
regarding the 3b1, I've had to call (and often nag) until I got
through to someone to give me some sort of answer.  In the case of the
3b1, a "registered owner" seems to give you the right to call in and
see if anything new is available for you.

--
"Cursed Eraser Causes People                Robert J. Granvin
 to Vanish Forever."                        National Information Systems, Inc.

rjg@sialis.mn.org        UUCP:...uunet!{amdahl,hpda,rosevax}!bungia!sialis!rjg