[comp.sys.att] Installing a VGA Card in an AT&T 6386WGS

cem@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Malloy) (03/22/88)

> Actually, this probably exagerates the problem a little bit.  Most expansion
> board  installation manuals list to check the interrupt and address settings
> to make sure they don't conflict with that of other  installed  cards.   I'd
> get  on  the  people  at  orchid  for  not putting that in their manual.  My
> favorite offender is the AT&T StarLAN card and an EGA  card;  but  both  the
> manuals  that  we  had  clearly documented that you might have to change the
> strap settings.
>
> You probably didn't need to disconnect the battery to the  CMOS.   When  you
> re-ran  the setup program it probably set all the settings back to what they
> were prior to when you disconnected the battery.
>
> Frank McGee

Interesting.  Very Interesting.

        I don't have any  problem  with  the  first  paragraph.   (Unless,  by
"exagerates"  you  mean  removing  the  battery.  But I'll "address" that in a
minute.  ;-) The  manual  for  the  scanner  did  mention  that  changing  the
addressing  might be necessary, but the VGA card is not changable.  The manual
for the VGA  card  talks  about  what  address  range  is  used.   But,  quite
"Frank"ly, I didn't put "two" and "too" together.

        As for the second paragraph,  removing  the  battery  was  (under  the
conditions given):

  1.  Necessary.
  2.  Totally Necessary.
  3.  A Must Do.
  4.  No Other Way Around It.

        The "Users Guide" that was shipped with my system  stated  that  there
were four (4) types of video available.

        <monochrome>
        <40 column color>
        <80 column color>       and
        <enchanced graphics>

But when I ran the "SETUP" function only two (2) were displayed.

        <40 column color>       and
        <80 column color>

Because I used an AT&T VDC400 for the video controller  when  the  system  was
first  installed,  the  "SETUP"  function  removed  the possibility for either
monochrome or EGA.  The only way that I found to restore the other two  modes,
was  to  remove  the battery and "blow it's little mind".  After I reconnected
the battery, the system attempted to  determine  what  was  connected  to  the
system.   It  got  everything correct except for "date", "time" and "drive b".
It even set the video to "enhanced graphics".  This leads me to  believe  that
it  didn't  remember what the values were, but instead checked to see what was
there.  "date" and "time" were set to some obscure values and  "drive  b"  was
set to "720k" instead of "1.44k".

        I did not mean to suggest that anyone that was adding another card  to
the  AT&T 6386WGS needed to remove the battery.  The only reason to remove the
battery is to reset the CMOS.  And, until it happened to me, I could think  of
no  reason  for ever doing that.  This is obviously one.  There may be others.
I don't know.  But, I would be VERY interested to hear about any problems that
any of you may have with the AT&T 6396WGS line of computers.

        I would also like to start a mailing list of AT&T 6386WGS owners.  So,
if you have one and would like to be added to the list, send mail to ihlpf!cem
and I will add you.

--
  / __ \ |__   __| /   _ \ |__   __|  -====------    Unix System Administrator