[comp.sys.att] mounting floppy volume

chim@ece-csc.UUCP (Bill Chimiak) (03/16/88)

Does anyone know if it is possible to mount a floppy
volume?  Venix on the old DEC Rainbow allowed this
option.  Can it be done on the unixpc?

pjc@pcbox.UUCP (Paul J. Condie) (03/16/88)

In article <3443@ece-csc.UUCP> chim@ece-csc.UUCP (Bill Chimiak) writes:
>Does anyone know if it is possible to mount a floppy
>volume?  Venix on the old DEC Rainbow allowed this
>option.  Can it be done on the unixpc?

you bet. try "mount /dev/fp021 /mnt"

adh@anumb.UUCP (a.d.hay) (03/16/88)

In article <3443@ece-csc.UUCP> chim@ece-csc.UUCP (Bill Chimiak) writes:
>Does anyone know if it is possible to mount a floppy
>volume?  Venix on the old DEC Rainbow allowed this
>option.  Can it be done on the unixpc?

mount /dev/fp021 /mnt	#	/mnt can be any directory; should be empty.
umount /dev/fp021	#	will fail if you are in the mount directory.

brant@manta.UUCP (Brant Cheikes) (03/18/88)

In article <3443@ece-csc.UUCP> chim@ece-csc.UUCP (Bill Chimiak) writes:
>Does anyone know if it is possible to mount a floppy
>volume?  Venix on the old DEC Rainbow allowed this
>option.  Can it be done on the unixpc?

Sure, it's easy.  Just format a floppy, stick it in the drive, and
say:

% mount /dev/fp021 /mnt

This will mount the floppy on your /mnt "mount point."  To dismount,
just:

% dismount -f
--
Brant Cheikes
University of Pennsylvania

nic@marque.mu.edu (Nic Bernstein) (03/18/88)

In article <196@anumb.UUCP> adh@anumb.UUCP (a.d.hay) writes:
>In article <3443@ece-csc.UUCP> chim@ece-csc.UUCP (Bill Chimiak) writes:
>>Does anyone know if it is possible to mount a floppy
>>volume?  Venix on the old DEC Rainbow allowed this
>>option.  Can it be done on the unixpc?
>

>mount /dev/fp021 /mnt	#	/mnt can be any directory; should be empty.
>umount /dev/fp021	#	will fail if you are in the mount directory.

"dismount" is the preferred method on the 7300/3B1.  You may need to say
"dismount -f" although that should be the default.  I am not totally sure
why this is prefered, but I suspect that dismount does at least one "sync"
and properly sets the disk flags.

It should also be said, that the system is set up so that only the superuser
"root" can mount and dismount devices.

						- Roger
						- Using Nic's Account

tom@lakesys.UUCP (Tom Baas) (03/19/88)

I have been following this article closely as I have not been able to
mount a floppy device.

under root I:
/mount /dev/fp021 /mnt

I get:
mount: No such device or address

I do have a mnt directory and a /dev/fp021

I have also tried mounting to a new empty directory but to no avail.

Any suggestions?
thanks
:-)

ignatz@chinet.UUCP (Dave Ihnat) (03/20/88)

In article <517@lakesys.UUCP> tom@lakesys.UUCP (Tom Baas) writes:
>I have been following this article closely as I have not been able to
>mount a floppy device.  Under root I:
>/mount /dev/fp021 /mnt
>
>I get:
>mount: No such device or address

You may have a formatted diskette, but you don't have a Unix filesystem on it.
If you format the diskette via the 'ua' menu, this will be done for you; else
issue 'mkfs /dev/rfp021' for a 10-sector formatted diskette, or
'mkfs /dev/rfp021 632:100' for an 8-sector diskette. (These are the default
values from /usr/bin/Fformat.sh and /usr/bin/Fformat10.sh for 3.51)

Of course, you may play with the inode values for 'mkfs' as feels good to
you...

tom@lakesys.UUCP (Tom Baas) (03/20/88)

> you may have a formatted diskette, but you don't have a Unix filesystem on it.
> If you format the diskette via the 'ua' menu, this will be done for you; else
> issue 'mkfs /dev/rfp021' for a 10-sector diskette, or
> 'mkfs /dev/rfp021 632:100' for an 8-sector diskette. (these are the default
> values from /usr/bin/Fformat.sh and /usr/bin/Fformat10.sh for 3.51)

> Of course, you may play with the inode values for 'mkfs' as feels good to
> you...

Thanks.  I tried it and sure enough.... it works.
What I had done before was to take a diskette that I had backed up onto
via the 'ua' backup.  I did it for a single user and It only used 1 diskette.
But I guess I can't now mount it on '/mnt'(or anywhere else for that matter)
Now, the question is ..WHY?

Thanks again.  I really appreciate your help.

adh@anumb.UUCP (a.d.hay) (03/21/88)

In article <524@lakesys.UUCP> tom@lakesys.UUCP (Tom Baas) writes:

>What I had done before was to take a diskette that I had backed up onto
>via the 'ua' backup.  I did it for a single user and It only used 1 diskette.
>But I guess I can't now mount it on '/mnt'(or anywhere else for that matter)
>Now, the question is ..WHY?
>
>Thanks again.  I really appreciate your help.

it was created by
cpio -oB > /dev/rfp021
and so doesn't need or have a filesystem

andy hay		+-----------------------------------------------+
happy 3b1 user		|	"Something wonderful will happen!"	|
ihnp4!mvuxq!adh		+-----------------------------------------------+

jlw@lznv.ATT.COM (j.l.wood) (03/23/88)

Using the User Agent to format floppies does a mkfs on the
floppy so it's `mount'able.  As in:

mount /dev/fp021 /mnt

and unmounted by

umount /dev/fp021

When you do a backup or cpio you use the raw device /dev/rfp021.
This creams the superblock and inode table of the floppy
and consequently it must be re-formatted or at least re-mkfs-ed
before it can be mounted again.

Joe Wood
lznv!jlw

chim@ece-csc.UUCP (Bill Chimiak) (03/23/88)

Many thanks for the replies.  The answer was
/etc/mount /dev/fp021 /mnt   is what mounts the volume.
/etc/dismount unmounts the volume.

Thanks again
Bill Chimiak