[comp.sys.att] pirating, etc.

bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) (03/22/88)

kuehn@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Jeffery A. Kuehn) writes:

>Can we drop the subject of pirating?  Just for a month or so?  PLEASE!

It was dropped!  I thought this was the month to discuss it?  So, what do you
want to discuss?  :-)

Bill

UUCP: {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax rutgers!marque}!gryphon!pnet02!bilbo
INET: bilbo@pnet02.cts.com

arthur@pnet02.cts.com (Arthur L. Rubin) (03/23/88)

kudla@pawl20.pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) writes:
>...Also, like an audio recording, any
>computer-based record cannot be used as evidence in a court of law.

This is news to me.  Can any lawyers confirm or deny.  It seems to me that, if
discovered, a copy of a computer program could be prosecuted for copyright
violation if the owner cannot produce an "offical" copy.
Arthur L. Rubin

4519 Richard Drive
Los Angeles, CA  90032-1227

Phone: (213)221-5033 (home w/o answering machine)
Phone: (213)221-1962 (home)

MCI Mail:  ARUBIN 216-5888
Telex (WUI/MCI):  6502165888 "6502165888 MCI"

CompuServe:  70707,453

DELPHI: RUNNINGTRTLE

UUCP: [ ihnp4 hplabs!hp-sdd sdcsvax nosc ] !crash!gryphon!pnet02!arthur
ARPA: crash!gryphon!pnet02!arthur@nosc
INET: arthur@pnet02.cts.com

zgel05@apctrc.UUCP (George E. Lehmann) (03/24/88)

In article <2969@gryphon.CTS.COM> arthur@pnet02.cts.com (Arthur L. Rubin) writes:
>kudla@pawl20.pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) writes:
>>...Also, like an audio recording, any
>>computer-based record cannot be used as evidence in a court of law.
>This is news to me.  Can any lawyers confirm or deny.  It seems to me that, if

Last year, in mod.risks, several reports about an individual in England being
prosecuted for planting a "time-bomb" in a software system indicated the judge
had ruled inadmissable a number of computer records because they had not been
properly stored away.  This implies that had the police there properly locked
up the evidence (backup tapes in this instance) to insure against their being
altered, that they would have been admissable as evidence...

--
George Lehmann,  ...!uunet!apctrc!zgel05
Amoco Production Co., PO BOX 3385, Tulsa, Ok  74102  ph:918-660-4066

khill@home.csc.ti.com (Ken Hill - Patents) (04/07/88)

.
.This is news to me.  Can any lawyers confirm or deny.  It seems to me that, if
.discovered, a copy of a computer program could be prosecuted for copyright
.violation if the owner cannot produce an "offical" copy.
.Arthur L. Rubin
.
Computer based records can be entered, as long as certain ground rules
are observed.  They can be entered to prove that the information they
contain is actually true, if they fall within an exception to the
hearsay rule.  For example, business records kept in the normal course
of business, when introduced and authenticated by a custodian, can be
so used.

They may also be used against a party to refute something they said,
or to show merely that they have an illegal copy, etc.  In any case,
all records must be properly authenticated, but this is not much more
difficult than for other kinds of documents.  For example, here in
Dallas, two engineers were convicted of theft of trade secrets when
tapes full of software taken from their previous employer were found
at their new employer, and it was shown that the software had been
loaded onto the new employer's system.

There are no typos.  If you think you saw one, see an opthamolo... optaha...
ophthamal... eye doctor.
Ken Hill
{convex!smu, texsun,im4u,seismo!ut-sally!im4u}!ti-csl!khill