[comp.sys.att] mailx for an ATT 3B1

lad@eplrx7.UUCP (Lawrence A. Dziegielewski) (03/24/88)

I'm searching for an alternate mailer for my 3B1,  and someone said there
was a program called mailx available somewhere.  Would anyone who has mailx
please contact me or mail me a copy?

Thanks in advance.

--
        Lawrence A. Dziegielewski       |       E.I. Dupont Co.
        uunet!eplrx7!lad                |       Engineering Physics Lab

rcj@moss.ATT.COM (03/25/88)

In article <589@eplrx7.UUCP> lad@eplrx7.UUCP (Lawrence A. Dziegielewski) writes:
}I'm searching for an alternate mailer for my 3B1,  and someone said there
}was a program called mailx available somewhere.  Would anyone who has mailx
}please contact me or mail me a copy?

Sorry, it is proprietary software of AT&T.  I'm sorry you can't get it,
but I also must hope noone from AT&T was stupid enough to send it to you...

The MAD Programmer -- 201-386-6409 (Cornet 232)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses ucbvax allegra ]!moss!rcj
			...![ ihnp4 ucbvax akgua watmath  ]!clyde!rcj

dpw@unisec.usi.com (Darryl P. Wagoner) (03/26/88)

}}I'm searching for an alternate mailer for my 3B1,  and someone said there
}}was a program called mailx available somewhere.  Would anyone who has mailx
}}please contact me or mail me a copy?

Try elm!  It is very good and will compile on the 3b1 without any problem
and it contains no AT&T proprietary code!

}Sorry, it is proprietary software of AT&T.  I'm sorry you can't get it,
}but I also must hope noone from AT&T was stupid enough to send it to you...

It seems to me that mailx is a port from BSD /usr/ucb/[Mm]ail,  if so how
can it be AT&T proprietary?

--
Darryl Wagoner		dpw@unisec.usi.com
UniSecure Systems, Inc.; 			OS/2, Just say No!

lm@arizona.edu (Larry McVoy) (03/27/88)

In article <1089@unisec.usi.com> dpw@unisec.USI.COM (Darryl P. Wagoner) writes:
>It seems to me that mailx is a port from BSD /usr/ucb/[Mm]ail,  if so how
>can it be AT&T proprietary?

A)  Most BSD code is derived from AT&T code.
B)  AT&T did a lot of work on their "port"; Mailx has many nifty features
    not in BSD's Mail.
--

Larry McVoy	lm@arizona.edu or ...!{uwvax,sun}!arizona.edu!lm

gst@gnosys.UUCP (Gary S. Trujillo) (03/29/88)

In article <4529@megaron.arizona.edu> lm@megaron.arizona.edu (Larry McVoy) writes:
>In article <1089@unisec.usi.com> dpw@unisec.USI.COM (Darryl P. Wagoner) writes:
> >It seems to me that mailx is a port from BSD /usr/ucb/[Mm]ail,  if so how
> >can it be AT&T proprietary?
>
> A)  Most BSD code is derived from AT&T code.
> B)  AT&T did a lot of work on their "port"; Mailx has many nifty features
>     not in BSD's Mail.

There is actually a mail system that supposedly has the look and feel of mailx.
It was written by Emmet P. Gray, who brought us that *very* nice goodie for
dealing with MS-DOS floppies he calls "mtools".  I have not used this mail
system a great deal (I mainly use Dave Taylor's "elm").  But when I did use it,
it felt a whole lot like Berkeley mail, which I have used for years and years.
I believe Emmet keeps an eye on comp.sys.att, so perhaps there's something from
him on its way.  Meanwhile here's the Readme file from Emmet's distribution.

--
Gary S. Trujillo			{ihnp4,linus,bbn,m2c}!spdcc!gnosys!gst
Somerville, Massachusetts		     {cirl,ima,stech,wjh12}!gnosys!gst

--

wtr@moss.ATT.COM (04/08/88)

In article <23808@clyde.ATT.COM>, rcj@moss.ATT.COM writes:
> In article <589@eplrx7.UUCP> lad@eplrx7.UUCP (Lawrence A. Dziegielewski) writes:
> }I'm searching for an alternate mailer for my 3B1,
> }was a program called mailx available somewhere.
> }Would anyone who has mailx
> }please contact me or mail me a copy?
>
> Sorry, it is proprietary software of AT&T.  I'm sorry you can't get it,
> but I also must hope noone from AT&T was stupid enough to send it to you.

curtis,

Is mailx "proprietary" or just not Public Domain?  A full working
copy was included in my Mircoport Unix release, so I dont think
there is any problem with outside licensing of this product.

In any case it is definitely NOT Public Domain.  There are some
good PD mailers out there, just look around.

Bill Rankin
Bell Labs, Whippany NJ
(201) 386-4154 (cornet 232)

email address:		...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd allegra ]!moss!wtr
			...![ ihnp4 cbosgd akgua watmath  ]!clyde!wtr