[comp.sys.att] 3b1 3.51a kernel

dre@lll-lcc.aRpA (Douglas R. East) (04/08/88)

I have a major problem with the kernel on my 3.51a fix disk that I wonder
if anyone else is having problem with.  After installing the fixes and
rebooting, the processer hangs.  I get the loader information (Searching
floppy, Searching hard disk...) and it does appear to be reading the
kernel from the disk (lots of *'s) but then nothing, ever--the familiar
"real memory ... available memory ..." message does not appear.  Obviously
the kernel is hanging.  Since everyone else seems to have a working 3.51a
kernel, I suspect that the floppy AT&T sent is corrupted.  A sum(1) on the
kernel is:

	11710 165 UNIX3.51a

It is 168915 bytes.  Can anyone please confirm (or deny) this?  File(1)
does report correctly what UNIX3.51a is.  From what I can tell, all the
other fixes are ok (I'm using the new ATE right now--much better!).  Then
again, I haven't tested the tam library or the modem fix...

This brings up another question, has anyone or can you build a bootable
floppy which you can run, of course, a minimal system under?  I had to
reload the entire foundation set using the 3.51 upgrade procedure since
I didn't have such a beast--the 3.51 distribution does have a bootable
floppy and floppy file system although I haven't taken the time,
admittedly, to look at what is really on there.  In any case, it doesn't
allow one to do anything, it just goes through its upgrade script.  I
was really peeved, as you might suspect--all I needed to do was relink
/unix with /UNIX3.51.  Oh well, I suppose I'm better for it...  I do
thank AT&T for their prompt action on sending me the fix disk.  I
understand that these things happen sometimes (but why always to me?).

Doug East						(415) 423-0332
UUCP: ..!{ames,dual,ihnp4,ptsfa,qantel}!lll-lcc!dre
      ..!ptsfa!{pbcast,lll-lcc}!fido!dre
ARPA: dre@lll-lcc.llnl.gov
--

rrr@naucse.UUCP (Bob Rose ) (04/09/88)

In article <1603@lll-lcc.aRpA>, dre@lll-lcc.aRpA (Douglas R. East) writes:
> I have a major problem with the kernel on my 3.51a fix disk that I wonder
> if anyone else is having problem with.  After installing the fixes and
> rebooting, the processer hangs.

Same thing here! But wasn't that wonderful advice:
   "You must reboot system for fixes to take place."

I guess they thought if you couldn't reboot you wouldn't
know if they fixed it or not (half :^)

> Since everyone else seems to have a working 3.51a
> kernel, I suspect that the floppy AT&T sent is corrupted.  A sum(1) on the
> kernel is: 11710 165 UNIX3.51a

Who! What a coincidence! Every thing on my floppy worked also except for
of course the kernal. I guess the two happen to be corrupted in the
same place (Like at AT&T.) I don't know about the size thing, I'm not
at home on my machine.

> [who do I build a bootable floppy. I had to reinstall everything
> to reboot]

The 3.51 does have a bootable floppy (Ya I know, doesn't do ya much
good now but maybe the next person.) I ask some friend of mine who
have 3b1's and they said `Far out' (sorry steve :^) The bootable
floppy is (drum roll please) floppy 4 of 12 of the foundation set.
After finding this out (by trial and error) I felt so silly asking
for help since of course this isn't documented ANYWHERE!

> I was really peeved, as you might suspect--all I needed to do was relink
> /unix with /UNIX3.51.  Oh well, I suppose I'm better for it...

Really, I was more the peeved :^) But when you boot disk 4 of 12
you will get a `#' for a prompt with no cursor, from here you have
access to the hard disk and can use any command. (like ln /UNIX3.51 /unix)

> I do thank AT&T for their prompt action on sending me the fix disk.  I
> understand that these things happen sometimes (but why always to me?).

dito! (But the service wasn't that prompt)

                              -bob
Robert R. Rose
Northern Arizona University, Box 15600
Flagstaff, AZ 86011
                    .....!ihnp4!arizona!naucse!rrr

jdc@naucse.UUCP (John Campbell) (04/09/88)

In article <1603@lll-lcc.aRpA>, dre@lll-lcc.aRpA (Douglas R. East) writes:
@ I have a major problem with the kernel on my 3.51a fix disk that I wonder
@ if anyone else is having problem with.  After installing the fixes and
@ rebooting, the processer hangs.  I get the loader information (Searching
@ floppy, Searching hard disk...) and it does appear to be reading the
@ kernel from the disk (lots of *'s) but then nothing, ever--the familiar
@ "real memory ... available memory ..." message does not appear.  Obviously

This happened here also.  A friend suggested using disk 4 of the foundation
set--it has a bootable unix on it that leaves you on the hard drive.

(That's what friends are for!  I didn't have to reload everything.)

Now--what would make ATT ship something like this?  Has anyone called them
on it?
--
	John Campbell               ...!arizona!naucse!jdc

	unix?  Sure send me a dozen, all different colors.

gws@n8emr.UUCP (Gary Sanders ) (04/09/88)

In article <1603@lll-lcc.aRpA> dre@lll-lcc.aRpA (Douglas R. East) writes:
>I have a major problem with the kernel on my 3.51a fix disk that I wonder
>if anyone else is having problem with.  After installing the fixes and
>rebooting, the processer hangs.  I get the loader information (Searching

Apparently there is a bad master disk floating around. I got the 351a
fixdisk could not even read the first disk.. This happend to 4 of 5 disk.
On the fix disk I was able to read it in, but it hung when installed
and the machine rebooted.. call the hotline again. I have talk with them
but as a couple of days ago, no one but me had conplained...

--
Gary W. Sanders	 	{cbosgd|ihnp4}!osu-cis!n8emr!gws
(cis) 72277,1325 	(packet) N8EMR @ W8CQK

gnews@gnosys.UUCP (Gary S. Trujillo ) (04/09/88)

> I have a major problem with the kernel on my 3.51a fix disk that I wonder
> if anyone else is having problem with...

Hmmm.  I was just getting ready to install my fixdisk when I spotted this
posting.  Now I'm wondering whether maybe I shouldn't wait a bit.

> A sum(1) on the kernel is:
>
> 	11710 165 UNIX3.51a

I dunno.  Here's what I get:

	45337 165 UNIX3.51a

> It is 168915 bytes.  Can anyone please confirm (or deny) this?

Well, that checks:

	-rwxr-xr-x  1 gst      168915 Feb 11 14:13 UNIX3.51a

> This brings up another question, has anyone or can you build a bootable
> floppy which you can run, of course, a minimal system under?  I had to
> reload the entire foundation set using the 3.51 upgrade procedure since
> I didn't have such a beast--the 3.51 distribution does have a bootable
> floppy and floppy file system although I haven't taken the time,
> admittedly, to look at what is really on there.  In any case, it doesn't
> allow one to do anything, it just goes through its upgrade script.  I
> was really peeved, as you might suspect--all I needed to do was relink
> /unix with /UNIX3.51.  Oh well, I suppose I'm better for it...  I do
> thank AT&T for their prompt action on sending me the fix disk.  I
> understand that these things happen sometimes (but why always to me?).

Egad!  Well, if it gives you any comfort, a similar tragedy befell me
just a few weeks ago.  It had nothing to do with trying to install the
fixdisk, as I haven't gotten to it yet.  I damaged /etc/utmp, which
made the system refuse new logins, and didn't realize that I could just
reboot to get a new one, and decided, since I couldn't log in that I had
to go to single-user mode and fix utmp.  Then I discovered with great
chagrin that I didn't know how to boot single-user, and the manuals were
(as you surely know) no help.  :-(

After having re-installed kit, and some of kaboodle, I got my machine talking
to me again.  First thing I did was to shoot off a message to my buddy and
yours, Lenny Tropiano, who advised me that I coulda fixed things with a good
deal less grief.  I'm sure Lenny won't mind if I quote from his message
(right, Lenny?):

|Subject: Answers to questions
|To: gnosys!gst
|Date: Tue, 22 Mar 88 16:43:26 EST
|From: lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano)

|Geez.  Did you try rebooting?  The utmp file is recreated each time.  (At
|least I think... it should have fixed itself with a "RESET and REBOOT")
|Well to let you in on a "secret..." well not much of one...  This is how
|you SINGLE USER BOOT FLOPPY UNIX.  (BTW:  I am working on a way to
|create a standalone unix filesystem and necessary utilities on a bootable
|floppy... When I figure this out, I'll let you know)
|
|Step 1:
|	Shut down machine ... Get to the point where it is saying:
|
|	"Press RETURN to reboot."
|
|Step 2:
|	Insert the Floppy Boot Disk.  Disk 2 of XX ..  Reboot.
|
|Step 3:
|	When it says "Insert Floppy filesystem.." do so.
|	Press any key.
|
|Step 4:
|	When it says "You are about to destroy your hard-disk, are you
|	sure (Y/N)?"  (not necessarily in those words...).
|
|	AND HERE'S THEY KEY (no pun intended) -->   PRESS <DEL>
|	Yes, that's <SHIFT>-<ESC>
|
|	To much of your suprise you will get a "#"... Yeah.
|
|Step 5:
|	Your root "/" is the floppy, so anything you want on
|	the hard disk must be prefixed with "/mnt" because the HD is
|	mounted as /mnt (some change huh?)  You won't find many (if any
|	useful programs on the floppy).  Just enough to get you going.
|	So you will have to type "/mnt/bin/ls" ... etc..  Now you can
|	proceed with anything you intended.

[I think booting a working kernel from floppy, and thereby getting to single-
user mode is the essence of the solution to the problem you pose.  Once there,
you can relink /unix with your (saved) /UNIX3.51.]

So, the story has a happy ending.  I dunno 'bout you, but I'm of the firm
opinion that the above from Lenny is worthy of being clipped, saved, and/or
tacked on the wall next to your machine!  :-)

--
Gary S. Trujillo			{ihnp4,linus,bbn,m2c}!spdcc!gnosys!gst
Somerville, Massachusetts		     {cirl,ima,stech,wjh12}!gnosys!gst

ford@kenobi.UUCP (Mike Ditto) (04/09/88)

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.41.10 of Fri Oct  2 1987 on kenobi (usg-unix-v)

In article <1603@lll-lcc.aRpA> dre@lll-lcc.aRpA (Douglas R. East) writes:

> This brings up another question, has anyone or can you build a bootable
> floppy which you can run, of course, a minimal system under?  I had to
> reload the entire foundation set using the 3.51 upgrade procedure since
> I didn't have such a beast--the 3.51 distribution does have a bootable
> floppy and floppy file system although I haven't taken the time,
> admittedly, to look at what is really on there.  In any case, it doesn't
> allow one to do anything, it just goes through its upgrade script.  I
> was really peeved, as you might suspect--all I needed to do was relink
> /unix with /UNIX3.51.

If you boot off the "Floppy Boot" and "Floppy Filesystem" disks, it
will ask you some question like "Do you want to install the foundation
set?".  At that point, typing a rubout (shift-escape) will get you a
root shell in single user mode.  The floppy is the root filesystem
(read-only), with the hard drive mounted on /mnt.  It even
automatically puts /mnt/etc in the path, if I remember correctly.

The window driver is not loaded, so all you have is /dev/console,
which really sucks, as you know if you've ever used it.  There is no
cursor and it does not support any cursor movement other than
backspace and newline, so "vi" is out of the question.

					-=] Ford [=-

"Once there were parking lots,		(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
now it's a peaceful oasis.		ford%kenobi@crash.CTS.COM
This was a Pizza Hut,			...!sdcsvax!crash!kenobi!ford
now it's all covered with daisies." -- Talking Heads

amir@ms.uky.edu (Amir Sadr) (04/09/88)

In article <504@n8emr.UUCP> gws@n8emr.UUCP (Gary Sanders (n8emr)) writes:

>Apparently there is a bad master disk floating around. I got the 351a
>fixdisk could not even read the first disk.. This happend to 4 of 5 disk.
>
>      etc.

I thought the fixdisks consisted of only two floppies.  What's the deal
here?

--
- Amir Sadr,  Dept. of Computer Science
- University of Kentucky                 amir@ms.uky.edu    amir@ukma.bitnet

pjc@pcbox.UUCP (Paul J. Condie) (04/10/88)

In article <1603@lll-lcc.aRpA> dre@lll-lcc.aRpA (Douglas R. East) writes:
>This brings up another question, has anyone or can you build a bootable
>floppy which you can run, of course, a minimal system under?  I had to
>reload the entire foundation set using the 3.51 upgrade procedure since
>I didn't have such a beast--the 3.51 distribution does have a bootable
>floppy and floppy file system although I haven't taken the time,
>admittedly, to look at what is really on there.  In any case, it doesn't
>allow one to do anything, it just goes through its upgrade script.  I

The upgrade script is just the /etc/profile on the floppy file system
disk.  You probably could have hit the interrupt to stop the script and
kick you into a shell.  I made a copy of the floppy file system and
removed the profile.

lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) (04/10/88)

In article <1603@lll-lcc.aRpA> dre@lll-lcc.aRpA (Douglas R. East) writes:
|>I have a major problem with the kernel on my 3.51a fix disk that I wonder
|>if anyone else is having problem with.  After installing the fixes and
|>rebooting, the processer hangs.  I get the loader information (Searching
|>floppy, Searching hard disk...) and it does appear to be reading the
|>kernel from the disk (lots of *'s) but then nothing, ever--the familiar
|>"real memory ... available memory ..." message does not appear.  Obviously
|>the kernel is hanging.  Since everyone else seems to have a working 3.51a
|>kernel, I suspect that the floppy AT&T sent is corrupted.  A sum(1) on the
|>kernel is:
|>
|>	11710 165 UNIX3.51a

Well my sum(1) of /UNIX3.51a returns ..

45337 165 /UNIX3.51a

Hmm... as for the problem you are experiencing sounds like something with
init hanging.  I had this problem when a bad block corrupted an /etc/init
program.  The best thing to do is this...

Boot the system with the "Floppy Boot Disk"... when it tells you insert
the "Floppy Filesystem" and press return.  When the question comes up and
says:

	You are about to destroy all data ... (Y/N)?

Interrupt this with a "<DEL>" (ie. <SHFT><ESC>) and you will get a "#"
running a single user floppy UNIX.  You can then cd to "/mnt" (which
is the hard disk mounted) and rename the UNIX3.51a and relink UNIX3.51
to /unix.

Note:  You will have to prefix your path with "/mnt" to get anything on
the hard disk.  (ie. /mnt/bin/ls, /mnt/bin/ln, etc..)  Then sync a couple
of times, and reboot.

If this solves your problem you have a corrupted /unix.   If not, do a
Non-destructive Surface test from diagnostics.

|>It is 168915 bytes.  Can anyone please confirm (or deny) this?  File(1)
|>does report correctly what UNIX3.51a is.  From what I can tell, all the
|>other fixes are ok (I'm using the new ATE right now--much better!).  Then
|>again, I haven't tested the tam library or the modem fix...

Yes, my UNIX3.51a is:

-rwxr-xr-x  2 root    root     168915 Mar 26 22:01 /UNIX3.51a*

|>This brings up another question, has anyone or can you build a bootable
|>floppy which you can run, of course, a minimal system under?  [...]

Yeah, I been experimenting with this with minimal luck.  I know that the
".vl and .sl" extentions on the fdfmt and fdfmt10 command create floppies
with the system loader on it.  I've booted them with a copy of /unix and
other stuff and it still seems to want to boot off the hard disk.

|>all I needed to do was relink /unix with /UNIX3.51.

That's what I said ... oh well now you know the trick..
Use with caution.

Hopefully someone will post the details on how to make a bootable standalone
UNIX off a floppy, before I do...  ;-)

-Lenny
--
US MAIL  : Lenny Tropiano, ICUS Computer Group        IIIII  CCC U   U  SSS
           PO Box 1                                     I   C    U   U S

rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) (04/11/88)

>> A sum(1) on the kernel is:
>>
>> 	11710 165 UNIX3.51a
        ^^^^^
This is wrong.

>I dunno.  Here's what I get:
>
>	45337 165 UNIX3.51a
        ^^^^^
This is correct.

>> It is 168915 bytes.  Can anyone please confirm (or deny) this?
         ^^^^^^
This is correct.

Apparently yes, there is a bad set out there.  The fixdisks are good
(except for previously posted report of kernel addr fault), but I
don't know how you would verify that a set you have in your hands is
good, other than create a temp directory and load the disks by hand
into the temp directory and examining the files there first _before_
doing an installation.

--
"Cursed Eraser Causes People                Robert J. Granvin
 to Vanish Forever."                        National Information Systems, Inc.

rjg@sialis.mn.org             ...uunet!{amdahl,hpda,rosevax}!bungia!sialis!rjg

adh@anumb.UUCP (a.d.hay) (04/11/88)

In article <1603@lll-lcc.aRpA> dre@lll-lcc.aRpA (Douglas R. East) writes:
>This brings up another question, has anyone or can you build a bootable
>floppy which you can run, of course, a minimal system under?  I had to
>reload the entire foundation set using the 3.51 upgrade procedure since
>I didn't have such a beast--the 3.51 distribution does have a bootable
>floppy and floppy file system although I haven't taken the time,
>admittedly, to look at what is really on there.  In any case, it doesn't
>allow one to do anything, it just goes through its upgrade script.  I
>was really peeved, as you might suspect--all I needed to do was relink
>/unix with /UNIX3.51.  Oh well, I suppose I'm better for it...  I do
>thank AT&T for their prompt action on sending me the fix disk.  I
>understand that these things happen sometimes (but why always to me?).
>--
>Doug East						(415) 423-0332
>UUCP: ..!{ames,dual,ihnp4,ptsfa,qantel}!lll-lcc!dre
>      ..!ptsfa!{pbcast,lll-lcc}!fido!dre
>ARPA: dre@lll-lcc.llnl.gov

sounds like what you're looking for is the hard disk boot floppy.
this simply has the loader and kernel on it.

i'll let you all in on a secret: the installation script is a shell program;
you can <DEL> out of it at any time!

also, it is possible to make a bootable floppy.
all the files you need are already on the system,
mostly in /usr/lib/iv.
look at /usr/bin/Fformat.sh, and read up on iv(1m) and mkfs(1m).

andy hay		+-----------------------------------------------+
happy 3b1 owner		|	"Something wonderful will happen!"	|
ihnp4!mvuxq!adh		+-----------------------------------------------+

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) (04/11/88)

In article <339@icus.UUCP> lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
== Well my sum(1) of /UNIX3.51a returns ..
==
== 45337 165 /UNIX3.51a
==
I have 2 such files: UNIX3.51 and unix.  It is the latter that is invoked
during a reboot.  What is the former for?

== Interrupt this with a "<DEL>" (ie. <SHFT><ESC>) and you will get a "#"
== running a single user floppy UNIX.  You can then cd to "/mnt" (which
== is the hard disk mounted) and rename the UNIX3.51a and relink UNIX3.51
== to /unix.

For 3.51, the HD is not yet mounted.

--
Peter Holsberg                  UUCP: {rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division             CompuServe: 70240,334

ccs@lazlo.UUCP (Clifford C. Skolnick) (04/12/88)

In article <348@sialis.mn.org> rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) writes:
>>> A sum(1) on the kernel is:
>>>
>>> 	11710 165 UNIX3.51a
>        ^^^^^
>This is wrong.
>
>>I dunno.  Here's what I get:
>>
>>	45337 165 UNIX3.51a
>        ^^^^^
>This is correct.

   Mine is niether!  If you have used ktune to change your parameters, your
sum will vary.  Please be sure you set the kernal up with default
parameters.

Clifford C. Skolnick    | - Never insult 7 men while carrying a six shooter -
Phone: (716) 427-8046   |                       /   !kodak!gizzmo!   \
PACKET: N1DPH@WB2VPH    |  ...!rutgers!rochester                      lazlo!ccs
BITNET: CCS6277@RITVAXA |                       \!ritcv!ritcsh!sabin!/

rusty@hodge.UUCP (Rusty Hodge) (04/12/88)

Now that we all know the 'secret' way to get into single-user floppy
based Unix, you might want to save yourself some time and create
a set of disks configured the way you like.

First, edit /etc/profile.  This is where the script for all those
annoying install messages are.  Edit it to include the paths to where
all the good stuff is on your hard disk (/mnt/bin, /mnt/usr/bin, ...).

Second, copy over a few of those very important utilities like fsck and
fsdb (for the brave).

Third- make sure that the floppy file system disk is NOT WRITE
PROTECTED.  Most programs like to be able to write to /tmp, which is
now on the floppy.

Finally, I advise yu to create a little script to copy those ever so
important files into a backup directory.  Run this script nightly via
cron.  Things that I backup include the passwd file, the uucp sys
files, the news sys file, so on.  That way, if you have to ever
re-build by re-installing the foundation set, you won't have to worry
about it removing some of those ever important files.

p.s.- My 3.51a fix disk was crappy too.

jimmy@PIC.UCLA.EDU (04/12/88)

In article <48@lazlo.UUCP> ccs@lazlo.UUCP (Clifford C. Skolnick) writes:
> [...]

My machine is out of warranty, but I called the Hotline today and they are
shipping a fixdisk out tomorrow.  They say that some bad copies shipped
out 2 weeks ago are the source of the problems reported (should I believe
them?).

There is a bug in ph/async_main that causes the PID number in the lock
file to be off by one, wreaking havoc with HDB.  I asked if this bug was
fixed, and was told that it isn't a bug as evidenced by a comment in the
source that says "increment the PID."  Great!  Looks like kludge time, since
I know I don't have the knowledge required to patch the binary.

Jim (Gottlieb)   <<>>    "Most of us become children again when we enter the
				  slums of Asia."
                                     --from "The Year Of Living Dangerously"
From the DDN (ARPA) -- jimmy@pic.ucla.edu or ucla-an!denwa!jimmy@ee.ucla.edu
From UUCP land -- {rutgers, ucbvax}!ucla-cs!ucla-an!denwa!jimmy
Another UUCP route -- ucsd!crash!gryphon!denwa!jimmy
On MCI Mail -- 304-9271
On the phone, live -- Domestic (213) 824-5454, Int'l +1 213 824 5454
On the phone, voice mail -- (213) 281-5581, +1 213 281 5581

jss@ihlpf.ATT.COM (452is-Smith) (04/12/88)

>From: dre@lll-lcc.aRpA (Douglas R. East)
[...]
>This brings up another question, has anyone or can you build a bootable
>floppy which you can run, of course, a minimal system under?  I had to

[...]

You need two disks from the installation set.  The first one is "Floppy
Boot" disk.  The second is the "Floppy File System (3/13)".
Copy the file system disk to a new floppy (just in case) and change the
/etc/profile of the copy. (it can be reduced to just a line sh)
--
J. S. Colsmith AT&T IW
ihnp4!iwlcs!jss

lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) (04/13/88)

In article <11147@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> jimmy@PIC.UCLA.EDU (Jim Gottlieb) writes:

|>My machine is out of warranty, but I called the Hotline today and they are
|>shipping a fixdisk out tomorrow.  They say that some bad copies shipped
|>out 2 weeks ago are the source of the problems reported (should I believe
|>them?).

Well you can cpio the floppies in your directory with:

	$ cd /tmp
	$ mkdir fixes
	$ cd fixes
	$ cpio -iduvmcB </dev/rfp021
	$ cd kernel
	$ sum UNIX*
	45337 165 UNIX3.51a

If they don't match then something is up!  I wouldn't answer "Y" to install
the custom kernel then.  You can install all the other fixes.

|>There is a bug in ph/async_main that causes the PID number in the lock
|>file to be off by one, wreaking havoc with HDB.  I asked if this bug was
|>fixed, and was told that it isn't a bug as evidenced by a comment in the
|>source that says "increment the PID."  Great!  Looks like kludge time, since
|>I know I don't have the knowledge required to patch the binary.

Yeah, tell me about it!  Stupid if that's the case in the phone-manager
code.  It seems like there's a lot of kludges in the OS.  I wish I had the
source [plea to the UNIX-god] ;-)

My only kludge-to-fix-the-kludge solution is to do a:

	# cd /usr/lib/uucp
	# mv uusched uusched.bin
	# vi uusched

	... Insert this code ...

#
# Check for the presence of the async emulator or other communications
# programs before rudely hanging up on user. (HDB uucp only)
#
ps -e > /tmp/$$ps
running=""
running=`fgrep async /tmp/$$ps`
if [ -z "${running}" ]
then
	running=`fgrep uusched /tmp/$$ps`
	if [ -z "${running}" ]
	then
		running=`fgrep kermit /tmp/$$ps`
		if [ -z "${running}" ]
		then
			running=`fgrep term /tmp/$$ps`
			if [ -z "${running}" ]
			then
				rm -f /tmp/$$ps
				exec /usr/lib/uucp/uusched.bin
			fi
		fi
	fi

fi
rm -f /tmp/$$ps
exit 1

This will stop the uusched process from starting up uucico and hanging
up on the user!

						-Lenny
--

jr@amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) (04/14/88)

In article <339@icus.UUCP> lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>|>This brings up another question, has anyone or can you build a bootable
>|>floppy which you can run, of course, a minimal system under?  [...]
>
>Yeah, I been experimenting with this with minimal luck.  I know that the
>".vl and .sl" extentions on the fdfmt and fdfmt10 command create floppies
>with the system loader on it.  I've booted them with a copy of /unix and
>other stuff and it still seems to want to boot off the hard disk.

I haven't played with this on a 3b1, but did make bootable floppies for Venix
on a PC-type machine, & I believe the principle is the same.  Your kernel
(/unix) has "wired" into it rootdev, pipedev, and swapdev -- at least that's
what they are on some systems.  These are direct references into the device
switch table, if I'm not mistaken.  Copying /unix from your hard disk onto a
file system on a floppy will *definitely* have these set for the hard disk.
On systems with configuration rights (I think the going phrase these days is
"Link Kit") you have to make a new kernel to get these to recognize the floppy
instead of the hard disk.  On some systems this is all in /usr/sys/conf/c.c,
if my memory is still intact.

None of this helps a bit for the 3b1.  Don't we get some kind of tunable
parameters?  Hmm.  /etc/lddrv/unix.sym has values for rootdev, pipedev, and
swapdev.  One might be able to sdb a copy of /unix and just change these.
***CAREFUL*** though, I see lots of other symbols in there that don't look too
familiar that might need to be changed too.

Of course the *easy* way is to snarf the kernel from a floppy that's already
bootable.  Has anyone tried mounting one of the bootable floppies and rooting
around for a kernel?
--
 Jim Rosenberg
     CIS: 71515,124                         decvax!idis! \

In article <560@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:
>I have 2 such files: UNIX3.51 and unix.  It is the latter that is invoked
>during a reboot.  What is the former for?

Check, Pete, they should be linked.  I think they create a link to /unix just
to make it easy to identify what rev kernel you've got.  It should work just
fine with only /unix.  On my machine I've got:

-rwxr-xr-x  2 root    root     168521 Sep 30  1987 UNIX3.51.1
-rwxr-xr-x  2 root    root     168521 Sep 30  1987 unix

            ^

(3.51.1 was what I got from the hot-line after reporting the bug in the tty000
driver that would not pass through '\0', preventing getty from switching speeds
on break.)
--

roger@marque.mu.edu (Roger Abrahams) (04/17/88)

In article <270@amanue.UUCP> jr@amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) writes:
<In article <339@icus.UUCP> lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
<>|>This brings up another question, has anyone or can you build a bootable
<>|>floppy which you can run, of course, a minimal system under?  [...]
<>
<
[...]

Dead right Charlie!  The bootable floppy version is on Disk #2 of the
Foundation set.  Disk #3 contains the file system and Disk #4 has the
bootable version for the hard disk.

So - make it this way:

1.  Format a disk that is bootable.  To do this you must use a descriptor
that has a loader mentioned in it.  These are found in /usr/lib/iv.  I suggest
using one that also has a definition for 10 sectors also, as anything will
have a shortage of space.  Probably AT&T (or Convergent) does it with
multiple disks for this reason.  Anyway this should work:

	iv -i /dev/rfp020 /usr/lib/iv/FD10vl
	mkfs /dev/rfp021
	dismount -f

2.  Mount Disk #2 of the foundation set and you will find a copy of "unix"
and a link to it with the version in it (I.E. "UNIX3.51").  Copy "unix"
into a temporary directory.  Dismount Disk #2, mount up your bootable
master and move "unix" onto it.  Link it to the other name on the disk.

	mount /dev/fp021 /mnt
	cp /mnt/unix /tmp/unix
	sync;sync;sync
	dismount -f
	(now switch disks)
	mount /dev/fp021 /mnt
	mv /tmp/unix /mnt
	ln /mnt/unix /mnt/UNIX3.51
	sync;sync;sync
	dismount -f

3.  Now you need a file system. It won't fit, but the process looks like
this:

	mount /dev/fp021 /mnt #(using disk #3 of the Foundation set.)
	cd /mnt
	tar cf - . |( cd /usr/mnt; tar xf - ) #This will make a copy of
					      #the file system.
	sync;sync;sync;
	dismount -f

At this point you should "cd /usr/tmp/etc" and modify your "profile".  I
just removed the original and replaced it with this:

	PATH=:/mnt/bin:/mnt/usr/bin:/bin:/etc; export PATH
	mount /dev/fp002 /mnt
	/bin/sh

With this structure as your bootable floppy, you will put you in a shell
(no cursor) and will have the hard disk mounted so you can use the /bin and
/usr/bin directories on it.  Remember that the hard disk is now /mnt.  So if
you need to modify say "gettydefs", it is now in "/mnt/etc/gettydefs".

You can also muck around removing stuff you don't need.  I deleted the
stuff in "/usr/tmp/etc/convert" and that directory.  Delete as much as
you can as you need to reduce the size in order to get it back on the
disk.  Actually, it is impossible to reduce it enough.  YOu should end
up with a disk with about 660 free blocks.  Version 3.51 of unix is 330
blocks so you will have only 330 blocks left to play with.  The file
system for V3.51 is 674 blocks so you can see that you really can't even
have the essentials!  But since this is an intellectual exercise anyway,
you should attempt to make a minimal system.  I leave this as an exercise
to you as I have a 80 track drive I do this on, and it all fits with spare
space.  Anyway, having done the impossible and made a minimal system in
/usr/tmp,  Put it on the disk:

	mount /dev/fp021 /mnt #(using the bootable master)
	cd /usr/tmp
	tar cf - . |(cd /mnt; tar xf - )
	sync;sync;sync
	dismount -f

You should now have a floppy which will boot up using the floppy as the
root device, etc.  It will still pause and ask you to insert "Disk #3 of
the Foundation Set" but just hit a space or return and it will merrily go
on and find its own file system.

A further fun thing, is when you have your floppy "unix" in /tmp, you just
might want to do "cmp -l /tmp/unix /unix" and this will reveal the locations
of the bytes and what they contain, that are different for the rootdev, etc.

<--
< Jim Rosenberg
<     CIS: 71515,124                         decvax!idis! \
<     WELL: jer                                   allegra! ---- pitt!amanue!jr
<     BIX: jrosenberg                  uunet!cmcl2!cadre! /

						- Good Luck
						- Roger

kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) (04/20/88)

>>Yeah, I been experimenting with this with minimal luck.  I know that the
>>".vl and .sl" extentions on the fdfmt and fdfmt10 command create floppies
>>with the system loader on it.  I've booted them with a copy of /unix and
>>other stuff and it still seems to want to boot off the hard disk.
>
> ... some stuff about rootdev, pipedev, and swapdev
>
>Of course the *easy* way is to snarf the kernel from a floppy that's already
>bootable.  Has anyone tried mounting one of the bootable floppies and rooting
>around for a kernel?

Yah.  I found some interesting things a while ago when I was looking at the
boot stuff.  I didn't know what to make of it at the time, but this fits.

Try doing a cmp of the kernels on the Floppy Boot and Hard Disk Boot disks;
at that time there were only a few bytes of difference.  I didn't try comparing
with the kernel you finally wind up running, but it would not surprise me to
find something similar.  Hopefully, one part says which disk we're really
booting from, and another may say whether to pause to allow switching floppies
(the Boot floppies have a kernel and nothing else, so you can switch to a floppy
with a minimal filesystem).

adh@anumb.UUCP (a.d.hay) (04/20/88)

In article <158@hodge.UUCP> rusty@hodge.UUCP (Rusty Hodge) writes:

[	stuff deleted	]

>Finally, I advise you to create a little script to copy those ever so
>important files into a backup directory.  Run this script nightly via
>cron.  Things that I backup include the passwd file, the uucp sys
>files, the news sys file, so on.  That way, if you have to ever
>re-build by re-installing the foundation set, you won't have to worry
>about it removing some of those ever important files.

i believe that the foundation set is just a cpio file,
the same format as a full-system backup ....

alternatively, you could make a 'core restore file'
with just the minimum on it to boot the computer
(/, /etc, /dev, /tmp, and parts of /bin, /usr/bin, and /usr/lib, maybe).
sort of an expanded version of the floppy filesystem disk.

i'd create it by listing the files i wanted (with full pathnames)
into a file - say, /tmp/corefiles - and then
cpio -oacvB > /dev/rfp021 < /tmp/corefiles

then, partial-system backups could complete your restoration.

this is more up-front work, but you'll be back on the  air quicker if
you can install one of these instead of the foundation set when your
system crashes.

--
AT&T-BL Ward Hill MA	|	"Don`t try to out-wierd ME, three-eyes!"       |