[comp.sys.att] 7300 expansion

jbwaters@bsu-cs.UUCP (J. Brian Waters) (04/22/88)

I have seen an ad for the 7300 with 512k of ram and a 10 meg hard drive for
$495.  I would like to get a 7300 but would want to upgrade to a larger
drive and more memory,  but the prices this place charges for those items seems
to be much more than they need be.  What I would like to know is how hard is
it to add memory to the 7300?  Also can a cheap st506 drive be made to work
in place of the 10 meg drive?  If so what is required?  The system comes with
 Unix 2.0 and the upgrade to 3.51 is $225, is that worth it?  Can it be had
cheaper?  How about the development kit for $495?  All I really need to make
the machine usable is a C compiler,  is GNU ported to it?  If not does any
place sell the kit for less?   Any and all help appreciated.

--
Brian Waters              <backbone>!---\
                                   ihnp4!{iuvax|pur-ee}!bsu-cs!jbwaters

dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) (04/30/88)

In article <2697@bsu-cs.UUCP>, jbwaters@bsu-cs.UUCP (J. Brian Waters) writes:

> I have seen an ad for the 7300 with
> 512k of ram and a 10 meg hard drive for
> $495.

I paid $1500 dollars for the same config. (USED) a year and half ago,
before fire sale prices, and that was a steal.

> What I would like to know is how hard is
> it to add memory to the 7300?

Probably easier than putting toast in a toaster, but a little
expensive.  Look at paying around $300 for a 512k ram upgrade, and
about $800 for a 2meg ram upgrade.  I paid $250 for 512k ram upgrade
(USED).

>  Also can a cheap st506 drive be made to work
> in place of the 10 meg drive?

Yes.

> If so what is required?

If it's a half height, just the drive.  If it's a full height, you need
a external cabinet, and power supply (power supply not absolutley
required.

--
Dave Arnold
dave@arnold.UUCP	{cci632|uunet}!ccicpg!arnold!dave

darren@bacchus (Darren Friedlein) (05/01/88)

In article <139@arnold.UUCP> dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) writes:
>Probably easier than putting toast in a toaster, but a little
>expensive.  Look at paying around $300 for a 512k ram upgrade, and
>about $800 for a 2meg ram upgrade.  I paid $250 for 512k ram upgrade
>(USED).

Don't forget, the price on ram chips has gone up dramatically over the
last few months.  1Meg of 256Kbit, 120ns chips costs ~$500 and the cost
is still going up!

-Darren
         ____
        /    \
       |                                 Rt 4, Box 416, Durham, NC 27703
  _____|_____     Darren G. Friedlein      data (bacchus) : 919/596-7746
 /     |     \                                      voice : 919/596-9492
(      |      )
 \____/    __/      {mcnc|icus|ethos|gladys|bakerst}!bacchus!darren

jep@oink.UUCP (James E. Prior) (05/02/88)

In article <139@arnold.UUCP> dave@arnold.UUCP (Dave Arnold) writes:
>In article <2697@bsu-cs.UUCP>, jbwaters@bsu-cs.UUCP (J. Brian Waters) writes:
>> What I would like to know is how hard is
>> it to add memory to the 7300?
>
>Probably easier than putting toast in a toaster, but a little
>expensive.  Look at paying around $300 for a 512k ram upgrade, and
>about $800 for a 2meg ram upgrade.  I paid $250 for 512k ram upgrade
>(USED).

This depends very much on whether 64K or 256K DRAM chips.  If they used
256K chips, then you remove the solder from the unpopulated places and solder
in new ones.  If they used 64K chips, then you have to remove all of them
and replace them with 256K chips.  You also have to add some driver chips
and change some jumpers.

I do have the instructions for the 64K to 256K chip upgrade somewhere in
my archives.  I'll probably dredge it out when I get my UNIX-PC.  Yup, I
ordered one of the $495 specials also.

--
Jim Prior    {ihnp4|osu-cis}!n8emr!oink!jep    jep@oink.UUCP

Pointers are my friend.