[comp.sys.att] UNIX-PC Unix version

bjorn@sysadm.UUCP (Administration Login) (04/28/88)

I have seen many postings discussing the UNIX-PC software.  Unless
some people out in net-land are better of then I am, you are
running Unix V release 2.  The release 3.x mentioned in the spec's
for the machine are the version of of Unix V.2 for that machine.

I am making this posting in order to avoid other people getting
caught as I have been.  When I ordered my machine I chose the
UNIX-PC in order to get a vanilla ATT Unix V.3, as all specs
I ever have seen talks about release 3.x.  If anyone has infor-
mation which contradicts the above, please post.

Bjorn Satdeva
uunet!sysadm!bjorn

stevens@hsi.UUCP (Richard Stevens) (04/29/88)

In article <135@sysadm.UUCP>, bjorn@sysadm.UUCP (Administration Login) writes:
> you are running Unix V release 2.

The 3b1 UNIX is truly a hybrid of System V, Release 2.0 (enhanced version)
and System V, Release 3.0.  It contains the demand paging that came out
with the enhanced version of System 5.2.  *But* it also contains
mandatory (yes, mandatory) record locking, and shared libraries,
which didn't officially appear until System 5.3.  However, it doesn't
contain the other goodies that appeared with 5.3: RFS, Streams, TLI, TPI.
It looks like they took the 3b1 release somewhere between 5.2 and 5.3.

One note about the record locking: the fcntl(2) and lockf(3) man pages
imply that the record locking is either advisory or mandatory,
and both reference you to the chmod(2) man page for details.  However,
nothing on the chmod(2) man page mentions it.  If you have the 5.3
manuals, you'll find that what chmod should have mentioned is that *if*
you set the sgid bit on and the group-execute bit off for a given file,
then the record locking for that file is mandatory, not advisory.
Under 5.3 the ls(1) command recognizes this and prints 'l' to indicate
that mandatory record locking is enabled for the file, but the 3b1
ls doesn't do this.  All the more evidence that they took the 3b1 version
somewhere between 5.2 and 5.3 and never got back to it and never got
all the pieces together (i.e., documentation) for what they did ship.

	Richard Stevens
	Health Systems International, New Haven, CT
           { uunet | ihnp4 } ! hsi ! stevens

alex@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Alex S. Crain) (04/29/88)

In article <135@sysadm.UUCP> bjorn@sysadm.UUCP (Administration Login) writes:
>I have seen many postings discussing the UNIX-PC software.  Unless
>some people out in net-land are better of then I am, you are
>running Unix V release 2.

	Well, sort of. the Unix on a 3b1 is not complete sysVr2, but has
things not found in sysVr2 as well, liked shared libraries.

	I like to call it "A subset of SysVr2 with SysVr3 extensions" :-)

--
					:alex.

nerwin!alex@umbc3.umd.edu
alex@umbc3.umd.edu

friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) (04/29/88)

In article <135@sysadm.UUCP>, bjorn@sysadm.UUCP (Administration Login) writes:
> I have seen many postings discussing the UNIX-PC software.  Unless
> some people out in net-land are better off then I am, you are
> running Unix V release 2.  The release 3.x mentioned in the spec's
> for the machine are the version of Unix V.2 for that machine.

I've been amused by the talk of Sys V Rel 3 in this group as
well.  The UNIX-PC software is almost certainly based on System V
Release 0.  Our original manuals for the 7300 mention SVR0, and
lots of other signs abound: /bin/sh has no shell functions, the
miserable curses, the old archive formats, and the dates found
in various system files.

My primary experience is with UNIX-PC Software version 3.0, and
it looks *very* much like SVR0.  Velease 3.5, which I am only
slightly familiar, seems to be a lot better (terminfo, etc.).
Nevertheless, I find it highly improbably that AT&T (or
Convergent) built 3.5 from fresh SVR2 source; they likely just
added the user-level utilities to Release 0.  The only real
SVR3-ism I see in the UNIX-PC is the shared library facility.

Rebuttals of this are encouraged.

--
Steve Friedl    V-Systems, Inc.    "I do everything in software, even DMA"
friedl@vsi.com        {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl        attmail!vsi!friedl

jon@jonlab.UUCP (Jon LaBadie) (05/01/88)

In article <953@hsi.UUCP>, stevens@hsi.UUCP (Richard Stevens) writes:
> The 3b1 UNIX is truly a hybrid of System V, Release 2.0 (enhanced version)
> and System V, Release 3.0.  It contains the demand paging that came out
> with the enhanced version of System 5.2.  *But* it also contains
> mandatory (yes, mandatory) record locking, and shared libraries,
> which didn't officially appear until System 5.3.  However, it doesn't
> contain the other goodies that appeared with 5.3: RFS, Streams, TLI, TPI.
> It looks like they took the 3b1 release somewhere between 5.2 and 5.3.
I must strongly disagree!
True, paging and shared libraries (and record locking) are in both systems.
But both bats and birds fly.  This does not make them related.

The facilities mentioned were implemented by AT&T (for SVR3) and by
CT (for release 3.0 of the 7300) in totally independent environments.
Their solutions are not compatible, are implemented differently,
and are used differently.  I do not know of a single item, new to AT&T's
SVR3 that has been incorporated into the UNIX-PC.  Had the PC succeeded,
the plan was to make release 4 of the UNIX-PC software compatible with
SVR3.  HIGHLY unlikely that will happen now.

Release 3.5 was SUPPOSED to be SVR2 compatible!  However, there are
SOOOOOO many items in 3.5 that were not upgraded to SVR2, that I would
drop Richard's categorization of the UNIX-PC's software to between
5.0 and 5.2, not 5.2 and 5.2

Examples of NON-5.2 utilities include:
	cat
	ls
	crontab
	at
	vi
	mailx
	uucp
and on and on ...

Jon LaBadie
{ihnp4, ulysses, princeton}!jonlab!jon

darren@bacchus (Darren Friedlein) (05/02/88)

I have no understanding whatsoever of 5.0 or 5.2, but I know that mailx
and at aren't included.  What do you do without ls, cat and uucp, tho?

-Darren
         ____
        /    \
       |                                 Rt 4, Box 416, Durham, NC 27703
  _____|_____     Darren G. Friedlein      data (bacchus) : 919/596-7746
 /     |     \                                      voice : 919/596-9492
(      |      )
 \____/    __/      {mcnc|icus|ethos|gladys|bakerst}!bacchus!darren

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (05/02/88)

I agree with Steve Friedl that much of the so-called Unix on the
Unix PC is Sys V R0.  The release 3.5 and 3.51 seem to incorporate
quite a bit of stuff from Sys V R1.  There is also a lot of
BSD-like stuff in there too -- take for instance the presence of
more in place of pg (as the first that comes to mind).  I notice
that AT&T is careful to say in the manuals that the UNIX PC
software passes SYSVID for 5.2; they avoid saying it *is* 5.2.

It is annouying  that the dates on most of the system files are at
Jan 1, 1970 so that the incremental back-up won't back them up.
Tsk tsk.  Also helps hide how old some of the files are too..

--Bill

clb) (05/03/88)

In article <430@jonlab.UUCP>, jon@jonlab.UUCP (Jon LaBadie) writes:
> In article <953@hsi.UUCP>, stevens@hsi.UUCP (Richard Stevens) writes:
> > The 3b1 UNIX is truly a hybrid of System V, Release 2.0 (enhanced version)
> > and System V, Release 3.0.  ....
> I must strongly disagree!
> True, paging and shared libraries (and record locking) are in both systems.
> ... Had the PC succeeded,
> the plan was to make release 4 of the UNIX-PC software compatible with

	Had the PC succeeded? Mine succeeds just fine. In my view there
	is an enormous gulf between what AT&T sees as a success and true
	success. The measure of computers should not be entrusted to so
	many greedy bean counters.

	The 7300 works much better, much more reliably and much faster
	that the pdp-11 (version 7) or the Altos xenix boxes that I
	have worked with in the past. You have to be a nit-picker to
	find things that don't work, whereas many other systems have
	so many bugs that they crawl all over. And any one who tries
	to do useful work with an MS-DOS machine knows what a mess that
	is.

	Just because the company that (doesn't) supports the machine
	can't succeed for their own folly is no reason to blame the
	machine, it's design or it's function. Money is all they
	understand... not excellence or utility or value. Just the
	almighty buck. As an engineer and programmer, I reserve the
	right to decide for myself.

				Charles Brunow
				clb@loci.UUCP

dca@kesmai.COM (David C. Albrecht) (05/04/88)

> > ... Had the PC succeeded,
> > the plan was to make release 4 of the UNIX-PC software compatible with
> >

> 	Had the PC succeeded? Mine succeeds just fine. In my view there
> 	is an enormous gulf between what AT&T sees as a success and true
> 	success. The measure of computers should not be entrusted to so
> 	many greedy bean counters.

Working just fine and succeeding are two different issues and I dare say
greed has little to do with it.  In the UNIX PC AT&T tried to promote the
rather absurd concept that business users should pay more for an O/S they
didn't understand on single brand hardware with limited applications.
Business users are interested in applications not O/Ss and justly the UNIX
PC landed with a resounding thud.  Even as a low end workstation it was
simply too pricey and with its only fair performance was generally
greeted with ho-hum (remember now that the original 7300 1/2M 20M machine
went for 5K+).  AT&T simply doesn't have the marketing savy and production
efficiency to be a price leader where the machine may have made a dent.
So now, AT&T has reduced the price of the 7300/3b1 machines to the point
that they are selling for less than they cost to produce to get rid of the
inventory before they are so mouldy as to be worth nothing to nobody.
Certainly, this is a great deal for those of us who are willing to accept
its limitations in exchange for a great price.  Certainly, it is a quite
repectable unix box.  A success?  The amount of money AT&T lost on the
UNIX PC was probably phenomenal (to us mortals anyway).  If your idea of a
success is a product and pricing that people like but the company loses its
shirt on I hope you stay out of corporate America (they have enough
problems).

David Albrecht