[comp.sys.att] File Transfer Programs

edward@engr.uky.edu (Edward C. Bennett) (05/06/88)

Does anyone know of a way to get either XMODEM, YMODEM or ZMODEM
capability on a 3b1?

The ATE has UMODEM built in to it. Is that close enough to X, Y or
Z to work? Is there a way to add more protocols to the ATE?

(Ever feel like there are two worlds, IBM and UNIX, with NO bridges
between them?)
--
Edward C. Bennett				DOMAIN: edward@engr.uky.edu
(606) 257-4938				UUCP: {cbosgd|uunet}!ukma!ukecc!edward

rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (964[jak]-Robert Halloran) (05/06/88)

In article <2307@ukecc.engr.uky.edu> edward@engr.uky.edu (Edward C. Bennett) writes:
>Does anyone know of a way to get either XMODEM, YMODEM or ZMODEM
>capability on a 3b1?
>
>The ATE has UMODEM built in to it. Is that close enough to X, Y or
>Z to work? Is there a way to add more protocols to the ATE?

UMODEM is for 'Unix Xmodem', and provides just that.

If you can come by the source for the PD package 'rz/sz' by Chuck Forsberg
(caf@omen.uucp), that will provide Y and Zmodem capability for a Unix system,
though I am unsure about how you could integrate this into ATE.

						Bob Halloran
						Distributed Programming
						  Tools Group
UUCP: {ATT-ACC, rutgers}!mtune!rkh		DDD: (201)957-6034
Internet:   rkh@mtune.ATT.COM
USPS: AT&T DSG, 200 Laurel Ave Rm 3G-314 Middletown NJ 07748
Disclaimer: People have opinions.  Companies have policies.
	Don't confuse MY opinions with AT&T's policies.
Quote: "Good morning, the Russians still beating the pants off us in space?"
		-- Opus to Oliver, "Bloom County"

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (05/06/88)

In article <2307@ukecc.engr.uky.edu> edward@engr.uky.edu (Edward C. Bennett) writes:
...Does anyone know of a way to get either XMODEM, YMODEM or ZMODEM
...capability on a 3b1?
Yes.  You can purchase Pro-YAM.  It has X, Y, and ZMODEM protocols, plus
Kermit (I believe).  Contact Chuck Forsburg at reed!omen!caf.

...The ATE has UMODEM built in to it. Is that close enough to X, Y or
...Z to work? Is there a way to add more protocols to the ATE?

UMODEM uses XMODEM protocol.

lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) (05/09/88)

writes:
|>Does anyone know of a way to get either XMODEM, YMODEM or ZMODEM
|>capability on a 3b1?

This can be done with any public domain file transfer protocol program.  I have
the one that was posted to comp.sources.misc a while back called "rz, sz"..
This supports Zmodem.  I have kermit.

|>The ATE has UMODEM built in to it. Is that close enough to X, Y or
|>Z to work? Is there a way to add more protocols to the ATE?

Umodem isn't built-in, it is called by the ATE software.  It resides in
/usr/bin/umodem.

$ umodem<CR>
UMODEM Version 2.8a
UNIX-Based Remote File Transfer Facility

Usage:
umodem -[rb!rt!sb!st][q][l][m][d][y][7] filename

rb <-- Receive Binary
rt <-- Receive Text
sb <-- Send Binary
st <-- Send Text
q  <-- Quiet mode
l  <-- (ell) Turn on LOG File Entries
m  <-- Allow file overwiting on receive
d  <-- Delete umodem.log File before starting
y  <-- Display file status (size) information only
7  <-- Enable 7-bit transfer mask

Umodem is the Xmodem protocol.

|>(Ever feel like there are two worlds, IBM and UNIX, with NO bridges
|>between them?)

You just need the right software between the two... it shouldn't be
that bad ;-)

Take care,
Lenny
--
US MAIL  : Lenny Tropiano, ICUS Computer Group        IIIII  CCC U   U  SSS
           PO Box 1                                     I   C    U   U S

edward@engr.uky.edu (Edward C. Bennett) (05/09/88)

In article <5237@mtune.ATT.COM> rkh@mtune.UUCP (Robert Halloran) writes:
>In article <2307@ukecc.engr.uky.edu> edward@engr.uky.edu (Edward C. Bennett) writes:
>>Does anyone know of a way to get either XMODEM, YMODEM or ZMODEM
>>capability on a 3b1?
>>The ATE has UMODEM built in to it. Is that close enough to X, Y or
>>Z to work? Is there a way to add more protocols to the ATE?

>UMODEM is for 'Unix Xmodem', and provides just that.

I tried this over the weekend and it works just fine.

>If you can come by the source for the PD package 'rz/sz' by Chuck Forsberg
>(caf@omen.uucp), that will provide Y and Zmodem capability for a Unix system,
>though I am unsure about how you could integrate this into ATE.

There is a file /usr/bin/umodem that I assume contains the UMODEM code.
Based on that, I assume the ATE forks off a umodem process and connects
stdin and stdout to it. If that's right, then, theoretically, you could
put a copy of rz inplace of /usr/bin/umodem. The ATE wouldn't know the
difference. No, I haven't tried it but it seems like a safe experiment
(I guess the worse that could happen is that the ATE could crash) so I'll
give it a shot when I get time.

Even if that works, you still only have one protocol available in the
<Shift><Cmd> menu of local commands. Why oh why can't we get the source...