[comp.sys.att] 7300 fire sale

marsella@aramis.rutgers.edu (Stacy Marsella) (05/10/88)

I have been reading about 7300s being sold for $495 and
I was wondering who was offering this deal.

stacy marsella

(marsella@aramis.rutgers.edu)

jep@oink.UUCP (James E. Prior) (05/11/88)

In article <May.10.02.11.09.1988.23375@aramis.rutgers.edu> marsella@aramis.rutgers.edu (Stacy Marsella) writes:
>I have been reading about 7300s being sold for $495 and
>I was wondering who was offering this deal.

I've been told by friends that the .5M/10M for $495 are sold out.
I've also been told that .5M/20M systems for ~$700 are still available.

For the straight poop call Jennifer at 1-800-346-8243 at
Digital Data Systems, Inc.
775 Franklin Road
Suite 100
Marietta, GA  30067

The machines are for real.  Between me and friends here in Columbus, I can
think of 8 of the $495 machines that were ordered.  About half of them have
arrived.

You should count on replacing the clock battery.  All of the systems so far
have dead clock batteries.  Apparently, the machines have been warehoused
for three years, but the battery only lasts three months of power outage.
They did provide a jumper to disconnect the battery, to prevent draining it
during long periods of unuse, but they didn't remove it for storage in the
warehouse, so bye-bye battery.  It's no big deal to replace, just a hassle.

>stacy marsella
>(marsella@aramis.rutgers.edu)

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (05/11/88)

Here is one place that I dug up:

Digital Data Systems
775 Franklin Road, Suite 100
Marietta, GA  30067
(404) 425-5700

Attn: Jennifer Rudesjohn

I haven't bought anything there, but I did request their most
recent catalog via a phone call.  The lady that answered was
moderately helpful, if not a Guru.

Here is their price list effective Apr. 29, 1988

1.  ATT 7300, 0.5M RAM, 20M disk, TROFF, EMACS		$1295
2.  ATT 7300, 0.5M RAM, 20M disk			  995
3.  ATT 7300, 0.5M RAM, 10M disk			  495
4.  #1 + AST Turbolaser printer				 4595
5.  AST Turbolaser					 3595
6.  ATT Unix Utilities: vi, etc...			  495
7.  ATT 0.5M RAM card					  195
8.  ATT 2.0M RAM card					  795
9.  Dual EIA card					  495
    Dual EIA card w/ 0.5M RAM				  695
10. DDS-1050 45M Microscience 28mS hard disk		  650
11. DDS-1075  62M Microscience 28mS hard disk		  850
12. DDS Extended Warranty (1 year mail in to depot)	  395

#1 Is a pretty good deal, except for the fact that 0.5 meg is a
ridiculously small amount of memory to attempt to run emacs and
troff in.  By the way, the troff is from a place called TT&C.  It
supports Postscript (for the AST printer); I can't find a phone
number anywhere for TT&C, so I don't know if it offers support for
anything else (like HP laser, for instance).  On the phone, Ms.
Rudesjohn said that the troff/emacs is available separately for
$495.

Since I haven't bought anything from this joint, I don't know how
reputable they may or may not be.  I just thought I'd pass this
information along, since sevaral people have inquired of late.

--Bill
  wtm@neoucom.UUCP

ps: I think that #11 is a 67 meg disk, but the catalog says 62.

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (05/13/88)

In article <1165@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
...4.  #1 + AST Turbolaser printer				 4595
...5.  AST Turbolaser					 3595

The dealer who sold me an AST Turbolaser PS said that AST has raised the
price several times since the beginning of April because of DRAM price
changes. So,  either these prices are out of date or perhaps the non-PS
version doesn't have much memory.

oscar@sunspot.UUCP (Oscar Von der Luhe) (05/13/88)

In article <1165@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:

[sales brochure, etc. deleted]

>Attn: Jennifer Rudesjohn

PLEASE!! The lady's name is Jennifer Johnsrude!

>Since I haven't bought anything from this joint, I don't know how
>reputable they may or may not be.

I bought the $995 deal, which comes with Sys V 2.0 on the disk and ABSOLUTELY
NO software documentation. I also got Sys V 3.51 and the Utilities from them.
I think it's a pretty good deal, although the 7300 IS slow with just .5 Meg,
and my 20MB disk was about 70% full after having everything installed. My ex-
perience with DDS is that they were quite responsive when I had a problem with
my HD during the warranty period; I got the entire system replaced in almost
no time.

I have no relations whatsoever to DDS, except as a customer.
   __                                                        _
  / ')     /                                   /           _//       /
 /  / _   /_  __.  __     , __________      __/ _  __      /    . . /_  _
(__/ /_)_/ <_(_/|_/ (_    \/ (_) / / <_    (_/_</_/ (_    /___ (_/_/ /_</_

UUCP:			{arizona,decvax,hao,ihnp4}!noao!sunspot!oscar
Internet:		ovonderluhe@noao.arizona.edu

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (05/15/88)

The price sheet I received from Digital Data Systems was dated,
"prices effective 4/29/88".  The AST Turbolaser was indeed listed
for $3595.  It was a postscript model, but I there wasn't
any mention of the amount of memory installed in the printer.  I
don't have any opinions + or - about the Turbolaser, as I have
never had the pleasure of using one; I thought it was interesteing
in that DDS offers the 3b1 / emacs / wizard/ps troff / Turbolaser
as a "kit", thus making it a more or less complete desktop
publishing system.  Unfortunately, I don't think it would exactly
be an optimal desktop publishing system with only 1/2 meg of memory
in the 3b1 that is part of the "kit".  I think it would be a good
idea to order some extra memory too.

--Bill

(Not a customer of DDS, just commenting on their catalog)