[comp.sys.att] BSD Unix for Unix PC?

rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu (Robert Silvers) (05/09/88)

     Hi.  I recently saw a 7300 for sale in the newspaper.  The ad said that
it had 2 Megs of RAM, and a 20 Meg drive, and Berkely 4.x Unix.  Is this
possible, or did he make a mistake?  The price was $750.00, how good a deal
is it.

				        Thanks,
						--Rob.

Robert Silvers.
Box #1003 University of Lowell.
Lowell Ma, 01854
(617) 452-8823 Rm. 322     "Live free or live in Massachusetts."

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (05/18/88)

In article <6948@swan.ulowell.edu> rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu (Robert Silvers) writes:
...     Hi.  I recently saw a 7300 for sale in the newspaper.  The ad said that
...it had 2 Megs of RAM, and a 20 Meg drive, and Berkely 4.x Unix.  Is this
...possible, or did he make a mistake?  The price was $750.00, how good a deal
...is it.

The Unix is SysV but the release number is open to discussion -- 1 or 2
seems likely.  Berkeley?  Nope.

Good deal -- depends on whether or not it includes system software and
the development set of s/w.  Probably around $600 for them.

friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) (05/19/88)

Robert Silvers (rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu) writes:
> Hi.  I recently saw a 7300 for sale in the newspaper.  The ad said that
> it had 2 Megs of RAM, and a 20 Meg drive, and Berkely 4.x Unix.  Is this
> possible, or did he make a mistake?  The price was $750.00, how good a deal
> is it.

The 7300 runs UNIX System V Release 0 with a few Berkeley
enhancements, a few SVR3 enhancements (the good curses/terminfo),
plus a couple of things you find in SVR3 but were probably
coincidence (like shared libraries).

--
Steve Friedl    V-Systems, Inc. (714) 545-6442    3B2-kind-of-guy
friedl@vsi.com    {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl   attmail!vsi!friedl