[comp.sys.att] A bunch of questions about UUCP on the Unix PC

ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) (05/15/88)

Several months ago I remember seeing a lot of talk on the net about
mysterious crashes related to 3.51 uucp.  At the time, I was not running
uucp and didn't really follow the subject...WELL, I just set up a
uucp connection with oswego.Oswego.EDU using /dev/ph1 a few days ago, and
then the fun began!

First some background.  I have a 3B1 with 2 MB RAM/67 MB disk and am
running 3.51 as supplied with my machine last fall.  I run a BBS 24 hrs
daily using my own software.  I have a data line hooked up to /dev/ph1
for logins and nothing on /dev/ph0; I don't use the phone manager with
a voice line.  /dev/tty000 is set up as a direct terminal line at 9600 baud.
Until yesterday, I have had absolutely no problems - the only times my
system has been down is when I have shut it down, and two power outages -
uptimes of 4-6 weeks have been typical.

Last night uucp called up oswego, sent and received a file and disconnected
as it should (according the the LOGFILE).  When I logged in the mail icon
was showing and ksh informed me that I had mail.  I started to read my
mail and things slowed down to a crawl, garbage characters began to spew
on the console screen, the "working" icon stayed on and everything froze
up.  The "Suspd" key didn't work, but the mouse cursor did move.  Tried
to login over tty000, but nothing happened.  Tried to dial in and the OBM
clicked to answer, but no response there either.  Finally I pressed the
reset button and it booted up ok.  /usr/adm/unix.log shows a "HD: Spurious
Interupt", which I assume is when I hit the reset button.

SO,  here's what I'd like to know...

1) Does this sound like the same problem that others have experienced
with 3.51 uucp?

2) Will 3.51a really fix it?  Our AT&T users group just got a hold of 3.51a,
but nobody has tried to install it yet.  No one else is making much use
of uucp on their Unix PCs yet, but they want to in the future, so my
experiences will hopefully guide them.

3) If the answer to question 2 is "yes", then what NEW problems might
3.51a create for me?  I don't want to "fix" anything that isn't broken.

4) I also remember lots of discussion about problems using the same line
for dial-in and outgoing uucp calls.  I have a second phone line which I
use for voice only - its not connected to the system at all.  Would I
gain anything by putting an external modem on tty000 and setting it up
for UUCP dial-out ONLY late at night when I'm not using the voice line?

5) On a slightly different but related topic, are there any (preferably
public-domain) mail programs available?  I don't see any listed in
THE STORE! catalog.  The mail(1) provided with the system is pretty limited.
Is anything available for SysV through anonymus ftp?

6) FINALLY, I would eventually like to get USENET news on my 3B1.  Is there
a version of rn especially for the Unix PC, or is it generic enough that I
can get the sources running under Ultrix from my local vax and compile it
under SysV?  I'm really only interested in a handful of newsgroups - how
much disk space will the sources/binaries/whatever eat up?  How much will
it hog my cpu/disk when it runs?

All responses will be greatly appreciated!

Boyd Ostroff * Technical Director * Department of Theatre * SUNY Oswego
Voice: (315) 341-2138  *  sysop "The CallBoard": (315) 947-6414 300/1200 baud
Internet: ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU

darren@bacchus (Darren Friedlein) (05/16/88)

-Boyd,

For fixing the UUCP problems, I'd suggest getting HoneyDANBER from the STORE!
or another site.  It is vastly supperior to the normal UUCP and I've never
experienced a problem with it.

As for mail, mailx is available from the store.  This is a derivative of the
Berkley Mail program.  If you're into visual (full-screen) stuff, I'd suggest
Elm, a program written by Dave Taylor (I'm not sure what his UNIX address is).

Hope this helps.

-darren
         ____
        /    \
       |                                 Rt 4, Box 416, Durham, NC 27703
  _____|_____     Darren G. Friedlein      data (bacchus) : 919/596-7746
 /     |     \                                      voice : 919/596-9492
(      |      )
 \____/    __/      {mcnc|icus|ethos|gladys|bakerst}!bacchus!darren

ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) (05/17/88)

In article <430@bacchus> darren@bacchus.UUCP (Darren Friedlein) writes:
>For fixing the UUCP problems, I'd suggest getting HoneyDANBER from the STORE!

I know this has been the subject of considerable flameage, so I will restrain
myself, BUT, you need to be have a higher level password to get HDB uucp from
the STORE! :-( evidently it is for AT&T employees only).

AT&T is very supportive of our local user's group (The 3B UNIX Users Group of
Upstate NY), and one of their employees is looking into (legitimate) ways
of obtaining these forbidden fruits for us...

wilkes@mips.COM (Who let HIM in?) (05/17/88)

In article <430@bacchus> darren@bacchus.UUCP (Darren Friedlein) writes:
>For fixing the UUCP problems, I'd suggest getting HoneyDANBER from the STORE!
>or another site.

Gee, is HDB UUCP available from the STORE! these days?  Last I heard, it
was available only to AT&T employees, not paying customers who happen to
work for another company.  However, I have not called the STORE! for five
or six months, so maybe this policy has quietly changed.  If there is
another site that can provide me with HDB, I'd be eternally grateful.

-wilkes
--
-- @work:
--	  {decwrl,ames,pyramid,prls}!mips!wilkes

darren@bacchus (Darren Friedlein) (05/17/88)

Please disregard my last posting where I mentioned that HoneyDANBER was
available from the STORE!.  I was posting that for a friend of mine who
works at AT&T.  After careful inspection, however, I've found that HDB is
only available to AT&T employees.

-darren
         ____
        /    \

In article <3400@pitt.UUCP> you write:
>In article <728@rush.cts.com> bob@rush.cts.com (Bob "Rush" Ames) writes:
>>I'm setting up a UNIX PC for public access and am interested in hearing
>>from others who have done this.  Are there any UNIX PC BBSs out there?
>>What types of BBS software are available?  I'm only interested in providing
>>news, mail, and possibly local discussions, to the outside world.  Users will
>>not get to shells or Offices.
>>
>>RRRR    U   U    SSS    HHHHH     INET: bob@rush.cts.com
>
>Bob,
>
>I just started running a BBS with a 7300, 40M HD.  Two public domain BBS
>packages are SBBS and UNaXcess.  Both have been posted to comp.sources.unix
>and can be obtained via anonymous ftp at uunet.uu.net.  Make sure you get
>the SECOND UNaXcess (V 1.00.02).  If you have trouble I can send them.
>
>kapolka@vax.cs.pittsburgh.edu
>...{allegra, cadre}!pitt!kapolka		M. Anthony Kapolka III
>anthony@pittvms.Bitnet

Andy Pitts (andy@rbdc) has made a number of fixes/changes/enhancements to
UNaXcess and is working on a re-write to be distributed under another
name.  Meanwhile, his newest version is 2.44A and it allows for mail,
local newsgroups, and USENET newsgroup access.  Three boards in this
area are joined in a UNaXcess network (for the discussion of the humanities):
  Humanities Forum (Gray, TN) - gary@ethos (Gary Smith)
  Humanities Forum - RTP (Durham, NC) - darren@bacchus (Darren Friedlein)
  Humanities Forum III (Winston-Salem, NC) - david@gladys (David Dalton)
    (HF-III was formerly SFWN)
Since my site (bacchus) is in a PCPursuit city, we transfer messages
through news with my site as the hub.  All of us have 3b1s in some
configuration or another and all of us use UNaXcess.  If you (Bob) or
anyone else is interested in joining this "network", please send me mail.
To sample the BBS, call 919-596-7746 (PCPursuitable).  Using the BBS in
a networking manner DOES require that the news software be installed on
your machine, but it need not be active for anything but the BBS.
UNaXcess can be used stand-alone as well.

Hope I've helped you some with your decision.

-darren
         ____
        /    \

lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) (05/17/88)

In article <802@oswego.Oswego.EDU> ostroff@oswego.UUCP (Boyd Ostroff) writes:
|> [description of the console slow-down-and-die 3.51 bug left out]
|>
|>1) Does this sound like the same problem that others have experienced
|>with 3.51 uucp?

Yes.   (more like the phone driver in the 3.51 kernel)

|>2) Will 3.51a really fix it?  Our AT&T users group just got a hold of 3.51a,
|>but nobody has tried to install it yet.  No one else is making much use
|>of uucp on their Unix PCs yet, but they want to in the future, so my
|>experiences will hopefully guide them.

Hopefully temporarily.  But tonight (after 3 months of running 3.51a) I
reported the similar problems with the slow-down-and-die.  For any consolation
it will slow down the occurances of these crashes.. Especially if your system
is very active with uucp calls.

|>3) If the answer to question 2 is "yes", then what NEW problems might
|>3.51a create for me?  I don't want to "fix" anything that isn't broken.

Nothing apparent, but this doesn't guarantee totally all the fixes are
good, or they will not create others.

|>5) On a slightly different but related topic, are there any (preferably
|>public-domain) mail programs available?  I don't see any listed in
|>THE STORE! catalog.  The mail(1) provided with the system is pretty limited.
|>Is anything available for SysV through anonymus ftp?

Elm is a good public domain mail program.  It is available from most
comp.sources.unix sites.  I would suggest getting the Elm 1.7beta version
if you can find it.  It is probably ftp-able from uunet.uu.net.

|>6) FINALLY, I would eventually like to get USENET news on my 3B1.  Is there
|>a version of rn especially for the Unix PC, or is it generic enough that I
|>can get the sources running under Ultrix from my local vax and compile it
|>under SysV?  I'm really only interested in a handful of newsgroups - how
|>much disk space will the sources/binaries/whatever eat up?  How much will
|>it hog my cpu/disk when it runs?

RN works fine for System V, and compiles nicely on the UNIX pc.  There are
a few peculiarities with the UNIX pc on board modem that about two lines
of code in one of the files needed to be changed (when you get to that
point, mail me and I will point them out).

Binaries aren't all that big especially if you use the Shared libraries
for compiling them on the UNIX pc.  It all depends on how active the groups
are... on how much space they eat up.  I get a semi-full (everything except
for soc, talk, sci) feed and I keep most of the groups for two days - four
days,  It eats up a lot of space ... 24,000 blocks approx.  Oh well.

As far as CPU hogging, I would suggest to do your news uncompressing/batching
at odd(late night) hours.  This way the impact won't be so apparent.

-Lenny

--
US MAIL  : Lenny Tropiano, ICUS Computer Group        IIIII  CCC U   U  SSS
           PO Box 1                                     I   C    U   U S

scott@zorch.UU.NET (Scott Hazen Mueller) (05/18/88)

In article <363@icus.UUCP> lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>As far as CPU hogging, I would suggest to do your news uncompressing/batching
>at odd(late night) hours.  This way the impact won't be so apparent.

What I've found to help for news unbatching is the public domain dbm
replacement posted to the Usenet recently.  Do be careful though - version
1.0 of this (dbz) is buggy and news compiled with it doesn't reject
duplicate articles correctly.  Version 1.3 seems to work okay.  The
performance improvement is impressive - it used to take ~5 minutes to
decompress/unbatch news; with dbz it takes about 2 minutes.

Write me if you're interested and can't find the source.

--
Scott Hazen Mueller   scott@zorch.UU.NET
(408) 245-9461        (pyramid|tolerant|uunet)!zorch!scott

cals@cals01.zone1.com (Charles A. Sefranek) (05/20/88)

In article <802@oswego.Oswego.EDU> ostroff@oswego.UUCP (Boyd Ostroff) writes:
>SO,  here's what I'd like to know...
>
>1) Does this sound like the same problem that others have experienced
>with 3.51 uucp?

Yes !  My machine ran fine for four months before I established a uucp
connection. After that it would "crash" about every two weeks. Once it
did so while I was using vi - symptoms identical to what you describe,
even the HD- spurious interrupt error.
	I discovered that EVERY incident occurred when uucico encountered
an error after establishing a connection. The crash happened when uucico
tried to exit. Check your /usr/spool/uucp/LOGFILE.
	Since then I have installed the 3.51a fix disk [all of it] and have
had two (count them, *two*) uucico errors, WITH NO CRASH!!! Needless to say
I think this is great, but I've only had the fix in for less than a week
now (fingers crossed).
	Good luck !
--
	Charles A. Sefranek	cals@cals01.zone1.com
{sun,decuac,cb-att,gatech,necntc,ukma}!rayssd!galaxia!cals01!cals

cks@ziebmef.UUCP (Chris Siebenmann) (05/22/88)

In article <802@oswego.Oswego.EDU> ostroff@oswego.UUCP (Boyd Ostroff) writes:
>5) On a slightly different but related topic, are there any (preferably
>public-domain) mail programs available?  I don't see any listed in
>THE STORE! catalog.  The mail(1) provided with the system is pretty limited.
>Is anything available for SysV through anonymus ftp?

 First, if you aren't already running pathalias and smail, you should
be. Both came up with absolutely no problems here, and have been
completely trouble-free so far. Pathalias isn't really necessary,
since all you use it for is to generate a path-database file which is
easy to do by hand if you're going to forward unrecognized addresses
to another system for address resolution.

 There are a couple of mail programs available. I brought up elm here
briefly, and it seemed to work OK (although I've heard reports of it
changing the group of mailboxes in /usr/mail when it shouldn't). It
needed a bit of work to get the configuration and setup right; the
configuration script it comes with wasn't sufficient. Mush came across
comp.sources.unix recently; I don't know how easy it would be to bring
it up on a 3B1.

 I'm currently running MH, which is large but fits very well with how
I like to deal with mail. It needed some porting to get it running
under SysV with smail; I can make the patches needed available to
interested people.

>6) FINALLY, I would eventually like to get USENET news on my 3B1.  Is there
>a version of rn especially for the Unix PC, or is it generic enough that I
>can get the sources running under Ultrix from my local vax and compile it
>under SysV?  I'm really only interested in a handful of newsgroups - how
>much disk space will the sources/binaries/whatever eat up?  How much will
>it hog my cpu/disk when it runs?

 rn runs fine on the 3B1 (with a minor change to cope with the fact
that you can't open /dev/tty read-only if you're calling in through
/dev/ph[01]). Larry Wall's configuration script handled everything
just fine. The B news source, on the other hand, needed some tweaking
before the configuration came out right (the supplied 3B1/7300
configuration wasn't quite right).

 The news binaries and support files take up about a meg here, and
then there's the news articles themselves. Compressed, the news
sources take up two floppies; there's no need to keep them online if
you're low in disk space. There's a fairly large performance hit when
B news starts running to receive or expire articles; some of this will
probably go away with the dbm-for-SysV-news code posted to alt.sources
recently.

--
	"I shall clasp my hands together and bow to the corners of the world."
			Number Ten Ox, "Bridge of Birds"