[comp.sys.att] dead battery PC7300

mm5e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Molloy) (05/18/88)

I have a dead battery in my PC 7300 but I cannot figure out how to open up the
machine
to get at the battery.  I know it is somehow hinged, but I don't have any
documents and have
not figured out the secret.

Any help????

Thanks in advance  (mkm@k.gp.cs.cmu.edu)

jep@oink.UUCP (James E. Prior) (05/20/88)

In article <EWYPQyy00jd=B9c0S6@andrew.cmu.edu> mm5e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Molloy) writes:
>I have a dead battery in my PC 7300 but I cannot figure out how to open up the
>machine
>to get at the battery.  I know it is somehow hinged, but I don't have any
>documents and have
>not figured out the secret.
>
>Any help????
>
>Thanks in advance  (mkm@k.gp.cs.cmu.edu)

Aside from the obvious screws whose heads are exposed, there are two screws
hidden under little pop-out pieces of plastic that are in the middle of each
of the things on the case top that the keyboard snaps into.

There are also four little ramps or catches on the inside of the very front
of the plastic case.  You do NOT need to use tools other than your fingers
to gently pry the front of the case away from the metal faraday cage.

The plastic case top lifts STRAIGHT up.  When it is free, lay it back, as if
it was hinged at the rear.  When you disconnect the power connections, make
sure that you label where they came from.  Note where the tie-wraps for the
video cable go.  Pull the video cable out of the main unit by pulling on the
connector body itself, NOT THE WIRES!

A note in general, you don't need to force anything.  If something is binding,
you are doing something wrong.  Cool off and try again.  I've seen AT&T's
technicians struggle with these beasts.  Just take it easy.  If it seems
awkward, that's because it is.

Once you have the machine apart, file the cursed plastic latches off of the
inside of the front of the case.  It makes life so much easier.
--
Jim Prior    {ihnp4|osu-cis}!n8emr!oink!jep    jep@oink.UUCP

Pointers are my friend.

gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) (05/22/88)

In article <EWYPQyy00jd=B9c0S6@andrew.cmu.edu> mm5e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Molloy) writes:
|>I have a dead battery in my PC 7300 but I cannot figure out how to open up the
|>machine
|>to get at the battery.  I know it is somehow hinged, but I don't have any
|>documents and have
|>not figured out the secret.
|>
|>Any help????
|>
|>Thanks in advance  (mkm@k.gp.cs.cmu.edu)

Nope.  It is not (I repeat NOT) hinged!!  Be careful when you take it apart
since there are wires from the motherboard attached to the part that does
get removed.

To get the top part (ie. the plastic part covering the base) off, take the
keyboard off the computer and take off the two plastic covers (on each end of
the flat section in front of the floppy drive) to expose two screws.  Remove
these screws and two others in the back where the expansion slots and I/O
ports are.  This will release the top and I think that's how far you got.
The annoyance and tricky part is that the plastic case is held down in front
by 3 or 4 metal lips which lock into the plastic.  You take your fingers and
pull the plastic out just enough so you can slip the plastic case up.

Now CAREFULLY lift STRAIGHT UP on the screen/case so that you have just cleared
the disk drive, then tilt the screen/case back and lay it on the table
behind the main assembly.  Again, be careful because there are wires attached
to the plastic case from the main assembly.

The battery in question is UNDER the metal shield over the motherboard.  The
three screws in front must be removed, and you need to unplug the 20-some-odd
pin connector from the power supply (and the video display plug is sometimes
a good idea).  The disk drives can now be tilted up, exposing the motherboard
and battery.  The battery is soldered in place, but a suitable replacement
is probably available.  It is a lot better than AT&T's idea of changing the
motherboard when a battery goes dead!

Hope this helps, even if it isn't written very well.  I assume a little
confidence and technical sense when taking apart a computer period :-|.
Good luck!

+------------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
| Gil Kloepfer, Jr.                  | Net-Address:                           |
| ICUS Computer Group, Systems Dvlp. | {boulder,ihnp4,talcott}!icus!limbic!gil|
| P.O. Box 1                         | Voice-net: (516) 968-6860              |
| Islip Terrace, New York  11752     | Othernet: limbic!gil@icus.UUCP         |
+------------------------------------+----------------------------------------+

oscar@sunspot.UUCP (Oscar Von der Luhe) (05/24/88)

WHAT?? There is a *BATTERY* in there? You mean, I don't have to re-set time
and date each time I reboot???

Another happy owner of a brand-new 7300 that spent probably years in the
warehouse.

UUCP:			{arizona,decvax,hao,ihnp4}!noao!sunspot!oscar
Internet:		ovonderluhe@noao.arizona.edu