[comp.sys.att] 3 1/2" on the 7300

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (06/08/88)

In article <213@toylnd.UUCP> dca@toylnd.UUCP (David C. Albrecht) writes:
>Just thought maybe some other people might be
>interested in this feasibility study.  Now I'm going to have to figure
>out how to hook it up so I can switch between the 5 1/4 and the 3 1/2
>(visions of 36 pin centronics switch boxes dancing in my head).  Getting the
>distribution disks on 31/2s could be challenging.  Ah well, future food for
>thought.

well well well.  I've got all the parts together here to do this
project and have been meaning to but never got around to actually
doing it.

I've got something a little different planned.  I have a case & power
supply for 2 half-height disks.  I also have a 3.5" disk kit from
tigertronics for making it look like a 5 1/4" drive.  I'm planning
on putting both drives into that case, run a cable from inside the
machine to the drives, and put in a toggle switch of some sort for the
power only.  When I need to use the 5 1/4 I power it up, otherwise
I power the 3 1/2.

How does that sound?

I'm glad to know it worked out for you..
--
<---- David Herron -- The E-Mail guy                         <david@ms.uky.edu>
<---- s.k.a.: David le casse\*'   {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

dat@noao.arizona.edu (D'Anne Thompson) (06/09/88)

From article <9595@g.ms.uky.edu>, by david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae):
> In article <213@toylnd.UUCP> dca@toylnd.UUCP (David C. Albrecht) writes:
>>Just thought maybe some other people might be
>>interested in this feasibility study.  Now I'm going to have to figure
>>out how to hook it up so I can switch between the 5 1/4 and the 3 1/2
>>(visions of 36 pin centronics switch boxes dancing in my head).  Getting the
>>distribution disks on 31/2s could be challenging.  Ah well, future food for
>>thought.
>
> I've got something a little different planned.  I have a case & power
> supply for 2 half-height disks.  I also have a 3.5" disk kit from
> tigertronics for making it look like a 5 1/4" drive.  I'm planning
> on putting both drives into that case, run a cable from inside the
> machine to the drives, and put in a toggle switch of some sort for the
> power only.  When I need to use the 5 1/4 I power it up, otherwise
> I power the 3 1/2.
>
> How does that sound?

Well,  Why not try this ?

Parallel cable from the Unix-PC to all drives.

Between the Unix-PC and the first disk, cut the 4 drive select lines
(DS0, DS1, DS2, and DS3) and install a two-way, three-way, or four-way
switch to route DS0 (coming from the Unix-PC) to DS0, DS1, DS2, and DS3
going towards the disk drives.  Install pull-ups (pull-downs) so the unconnected
DSx lines are not unterminated (May not be necessary. Would have to check).

I would be concerned about having an unpowered disk drive on the bus
cable while another drive was running.

The Motor logic line (xx?) would turn on/off the selected drive motor
as necessary, but both drive interface boards would be powered up.

How does that sound ?

D'Anne Thompson
dat@noao.arizona.edu   	National Optical Astronomy Observatories.
			Tucson, Arizona

richard@islenet.UUCP (Richard Foulk) (06/09/88)

} I've got something a little different planned.  I have a case & power
} supply for 2 half-height disks.  I also have a 3.5" disk kit from
} tigertronics for making it look like a 5 1/4" drive.  I'm planning
} on putting both drives into that case, run a cable from inside the
} machine to the drives, and put in a toggle switch of some sort for the
} power only.  When I need to use the 5 1/4 I power it up, otherwise
} I power the 3 1/2.
}
} How does that sound?

Sounds like a good idea.

You might want to toggle the drive select line along with the power.
All the other lines should buss together okay.

--
Richard Foulk		...{vortex,ihnp4}!islenet!richard
Honolulu, Hawaii

adh@anumb.UUCP (a.d.hay) (06/09/88)

In article <213@toylnd.UUCP> dca@toylnd.UUCP (David C. Albrecht) writes:
>Being an inveterate hacker, I've been at it again.  I wondered if the 7300
>could take a 3 1/2" drive since it would make backing up somewhat more
>pleasant and I already use an Amiga so have a supply of the little suckers
>on hand.  They do seem to cost more per MB unfortunately.  Therefore, when
>I saw the sale that good 'ol Radio Shack had on an external 31/2" drive for
>their 1000HX system (for $99, it should still be on), I sprang into action
>and got one.

in this month's byte, computer warehouse has the teac 55G 1.6Mb 5.25"
drive on sale for $89. the orig. drive is a teac 55B.

[	deletions	]
>							  Alligatored in the
>appropriate power lines and tried it.  No smoke but it didn't work.  Noticing
>that the 5 1/4" was selected to D0 while the 3 1/2" was D1, I changed it.
>Voila! It formatted.

[	deletions	]
>					Tried formatting a disk with 10
>sectors/cyl ala. some of the 5 1/4" distribution disks, uh uh, no good, hangs
>in formatting.

3.5" & 5.25" QD disks spin at 360 rpm like an 8" floppy, instead of 300 rpm.

>					Now I'm going to have to figure
>out how to hook it up so I can switch between the 5 1/4 and the 3 1/2
>(visions of 36 pin centronics switch boxes dancing in my head).

all you have to switch is the drive select line!

[	deletions	]

>David Albrecht

i've just spent last night scrutinizing the hardware reference manual,
to see if it's possible to modify the FD controller to handle QD drives.

if you don't mind losing backward compatibility, it can be done with the
addition of only 1 chip.
you have to double the clock to the 2797, and there's no 2MHz on the
board.  so, divide the 20MHz by 10.(this is the added chip)

the 2793 has a clock divide select pin, to make mixing 5.25" & 8" drives
easy.  unfortunately, the 2797 replaces this with a side-select output
and the clock select (transmit side) isn't tied to the 5"/8" select
(receive side) input.

after all this, you might have to re-adjust the trimmers around the
2797 for the new data rate.

there are setups for ms-d*s that permit 1.2Mb drives to read and write
360K floppies.  for the unix-pc, this would require rewriting the
driver software which is embedded in the kernel and adding some logic.
this would be tough if you couldn't get at the kernel src.
( though if you could, you could easily add logic to allow 4 floppy
drives and 4 16-head hard drives at the same time! )

however, this would allow us to replace our internal drives with a QD
drive without sacrificing compatibility.

i'm investigating qic-40 tape drives with sa-450 (floppy) interfaces
with an eye toward finding one that only needs an iv file to work in
the unix-pc in place of the floppy drive.
these drives are 40 Mb and use dc2000 cartriges.
mountain has one that's selling for $380...

--
Andrew Hay		+------------------------------------------------------+
Lunatic By Birth	|	"Don`t try to out-wierd ME, three-eyes!"       |

edward@engr.uky.edu (Edward C. Bennett) (06/09/88)

In article <213@toylnd.UUCP> dca@toylnd.UUCP (David C. Albrecht) writes:
]I wondered if the 7300 >could take a 3 1/2" drive...
]
]Stress test time.  Formatted it like a 5 1/4", no problem.  Copied an FD entry
]from /usr/lib/iv and doubled the number of cylinders, formatted again no
]problem.  Mounted it and copied files till it was full, then tried to use some
]of the last copied files, no problem.

Yes, but how much data could you put on the 3.5" disks? Unless it's
substantially more than what we get on 5.25" disk (360K?), this
whole conversion is little more than a novelty.
--
Edward C. Bennett				DOMAIN: edward@engr.uky.edu
(606) 257-4938				UUCP: {cbosgd|uunet}!ukma!ukecc!edward

ford@elgar.UUCP (Mike "Ford" Ditto) (06/11/88)

In article <213@toylnd.UUCP> dca@toylnd.UUCP (David C. Albrecht) writes:
>					Tried formatting a disk with 10
>sectors/cyl ala. some of the 5 1/4" distribution disks, uh uh, no good, hangs
>in formatting.

Bummer.  And strange, too, since the 3.5" drives are actually spec'ed
at 800K, while the 5.25's are only rated at 360.

>					Now I'm going to have to figure
>out how to hook it up so I can switch between the 5 1/4 and the 3 1/2
>(visions of 36 pin centronics switch boxes dancing in my head).

Only the drive-select signal would have to be switched (that's what
it's there for), the other 33 pins can be daisy-chained to all floppy
drives.  The floppy driver chips should be able to handle two drives
with no problem at all, maybe even four drives.  But you'll always
have to manually flip the switch, so only one can be in use (open) at
a time.

					-=] Ford [=-

"Once there were parking lots,		(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
now it's a peaceful oasis.		ford%kenobi@crash.CTS.COM
This was a Pizza Hut,			...!sdcsvax!crash!kenobi!ford
now it's all covered with daisies." -- Talking Heads

thad@cup.portal.com (06/11/88)

3.5" drives have the following capacities:

Amiga   880K
Atari   720K
Mac     800K
PS2     720K (or 1.4MB if quad density)

The quad density 5-1/4" disks:

C64     1.05MB
IBM PC/AT  1.2MB

lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) (06/12/88)

In article <2422@ukecc.engr.uky.edu> edward@engr.uky.edu (Edward C. Bennett)
writes:
|>In article <213@toylnd.UUCP> dca@toylnd.UUCP (David C. Albrecht) writes:
|>]I wondered if the 7300 >could take a 3 1/2" drive...
|>]
|>]Stress test time.  Formatted it like a 5 1/4", no problem.  Copied an FD
|>]entry from /usr/lib/iv and doubled the number of cylinders, formatted
|>]again no problem.  Mounted it and copied files till it was full, then
|>]tried to use some of the last copied files, no problem.
|>
|>Yes, but how much data could you put on the 3.5" disks? Unless it's
|>substantially more than what we get on 5.25" disk (360K?), this
|>whole conversion is little more than a novelty.

If he doubled the amount of cylinders as in says in his article (see above
quoted section) that means you will get double the space... about 720K.

-Lenny

BTW: You have to realize that 3.5" disks cost about twice as much as 5.25"
     ones... so you'll get twice the space at twice the costs... One wonders
     how much savings that is.. (Other than you sanity for inserting and
     removing disks)

--
US MAIL  : Lenny Tropiano, ICUS Computer Group        IIIII  CCC U   U  SSS
           PO Box 1                                     I   C    U   U S

richard@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Richard Foulk) (06/13/88)

}If he doubled the amount of cylinders as in says in his article (see above
}quoted section) that means you will get double the space... about 720K.
}
}-Lenny
}
}BTW: You have to realize that 3.5" disks cost about twice as much as 5.25"
}     ones... so you'll get twice the space at twice the costs... One wonders
}     how much savings that is.. (Other than you sanity for inserting and
}     removing disks)

Reducing the pain of backing the system up is what it's all about.
I'm still waiting for an affordable tape system.  But a simple
doubling of diskette capacity is real tempting.

Also, I think 3.5" disks have been found to be more reliable.

Some time back someone posted an article about having installed a
3.5" drive on their unixpc and explained all about, including the
configuration files.  Perhaps someone could pull it out of the
archives and repost it.

Richard

lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) (06/15/88)

In article <1944@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> richard@uhccux.UUCP (Richard Foulk) writes:
|>}If he doubled the amount of cylinders as in says in his article (see above
|>}quoted section) that means you will get double the space... about 720K.
|>}
|>}-Lenny
|>}
|>}BTW: You have to realize that 3.5" disks cost about twice as much as 5.25"
|>}     ones... so you'll get twice the space at twice the costs... One wonders
|>}     how much savings that is.. (Other than you sanity for inserting and
|>}     removing disks)
|>
|>Reducing the pain of backing the system up is what it's all about.
|>I'm still waiting for an affordable tape system.  But a simple
|>doubling of diskette capacity is real tempting.
|>
|>Also, I think 3.5" disks have been found to be more reliable.
|>
|>Some time back someone posted an article about having installed a
|>3.5" drive on their unixpc and explained all about, including the
|>configuration files.  Perhaps someone could pull it out of the
|>archives and repost it.
|>
|>Richard

Here's the article that started this whole discussion... there weren't
any configuration files, but it should be as easy as:

#sccs	"@(#)iv:fdfmt-mini.nl	1.1"

iv -i /dev/rfp020 /usr/lib/iv/FDnl-mini
mkfs /dev/fp021
dismount -f > /dev/null 2>&1

---
/usr/lib/iv/FDnl-mini:

#sccs	"@(#)iv/lib:FDnl-mini	1.1"
type		FD
name		Floppy
cylinders	80
heads		2
sectors		8
steprate	0
singledensity
$
$
$
0
1
$
$

--

Original article follows:

--
US MAIL  : Lenny Tropiano, ICUS Software Systems      IIIII  CCC U   U  SSS