[comp.sys.att] mailx for 3b1 ver 3.0

erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) (06/19/88)

I recently saw a reference to "getting mailx from The Store!".  I
check the version of the catalog I have.  9/01/87.  No bueno.
Is there a version of the catalog newer than that?  I check
last month, and there wasn't.

Anyway.  Where do I get mailx for the 3b1, ver 3.0?
--
Skate UNIX or go home, boogie boy...
Spelling errors are directly related to how little time I have...

sean@killer.UUCP (Sean McCollister) (06/19/88)

In article <916@flatline.UUCP>, erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) writes:

> I recently saw a reference to "getting mailx from The Store!".  I
> check the version of the catalog I have.  9/01/87.  No bueno.
> Is there a version of the catalog newer than that?  I check
> last month, and there wasn't.

As far as I know, mailx for unix-pc is available only to AT&T employees.
It's in the AT&T "Private Department" along with Honey DanBer and some
other stuff.

(I haven't had a 7300/3b1 since March, so I may be speaking from ignorance,
but I don't believe those "Private" things have become public.)

--Sean

sbw@naucse.UUCP (Steve Wampler) (06/20/88)

From article <4505@killer.UUCP>, by sean@killer.UUCP (Sean McCollister):
> In article <916@flatline.UUCP>, erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) writes:
>> I recently saw a reference to "getting mailx from The Store!".  I [...]
> As far as I know, mailx for unix-pc is available only to AT&T employees.
> but I don't believe those "Private" things have become public.)

Ok, I'll believe that.  Now, what can us po' folk do to try and get that
changed?  Is there anyone we should write in such an attempt, or is this
one of those decisions that is controlled by lawyers?  I don't have to have
everything, but there are some "Private" things I'd like to have.  (Aw,
come on, ATT, think of this as a bone tossed to us faithful dogs who liked
the UNIX-PC enough to buy one before the fire-sale!)
--
	Steve Wampler
	{....!arizona!naucse!sbw}

jimmy@PIC.UCLA.EDU (Jim Gottlieb) (06/20/88)

In article <916@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) writes:

>[...]
>Anyway.  Where do I get mailx for the 3b1, ver 3.0?

Don't bother.  Mush is better in most respects.  The only area I find it
lacking in is that it can not parse the >From line, so if the sender's
mailer doesn't put a From: line in, it doesn't know where the mail came
from and can't autoreply or display a correct header.  But this is no
big deal, and I'm told this will be fixed in the future.

If you don't feel like building it yourself, you're welcome to snarf
it off of my system.  It's MUSH 6.2 plus two additional fixes supplied by
the author.

Take the following files out of my ~uucp :
mush.1.Z    (about 100K)
mush_help.Z (about 8K)  put this and your mush.rc in /usr/lib/mailx
mush.rc     (this is optional.  This is just mine, catered to my
	     tastes.  It also has key bindings for the UNIX PC console
	     in curses mode.  The curses mode may have problems on
             3.0's broken curses.  I use 3.51a.)

System info: denwa.....2134792422 "" \r\d\r\d\r ogin: nuucp
You will get a Trailblazer (1200/2400/PEP) unless it is in use, in
which case you'll get the OBM.

Jim Gottlieb  <jimmy@denwa.UUCP>  or  <jimmy@PIC.UCLA.EDU>