[comp.sys.att] ph .phinit .phclr phupd ya ba dee ya ba dee yub

jbm@uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) (06/14/88)

Well, I got tired of the phone junk crashing my system all the time, so
I took drastic measures:

I removed (deinstalled): phone manager, ate (async_main)

Lo and behold there was a problem: After all this I could only use line
two pulse. Grrrr

Part of the deinstall of ph change /etc/.phinit from "ph" to ".phclr"

The program .phclr is a stupid piece of trash. It is supposed to read the
.lineone and .linetwo files and use this info to tell /etc/phupd how to set
the phone lines. .phclr then sits there like a nice little doggie and makes
the phone manager window blank instead of grey.

Ahh yes, the trouble. Apparently .phclr only processes the first .linexxx
files it runs into and ignores the second. I have two phone lines, voice
on ph0 and data on ph1. Both are touch tone lines. When .phclr finds and
does .lineone, it quits. To get around this bug, I replaced phupd with a
program that prints it's parameters, then used the info to change
/etc/.phinit
-> from:
/etc/.phclr
-> to:
# /etc/.phclr HA HA HA
/etc/phupd ph0 VOICE YES NO NO
/etc/phupd ph1 DATA YES NO NO

Anybody else been through all this and came up with a better idea?

As many of you who are scratching your heads about why this doesn't
match your system, it's because I am running 3.51

I think its about time for us to write a replacement phone manager.

John
--
John Bly Milton IV, jbm@uncle.UUCP, {ihnp4|osu-cis}!n8emr!uncle!jbm
home: (614) 294-4823, work: (614) 459-7641; talk to me about fractals

gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) (06/16/88)

In article <293@uncle.UUCP> jbm@uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) writes:
|>Well, I got tired of the phone junk crashing my system all the time, so
|>I took drastic measures:
|>
|>I removed (deinstalled): phone manager, ate (async_main)

Me too... see below...

|>I think its about time for us to write a replacement phone manager.
|>
|>John Bly Milton IV, jbm@uncle.UUCP, {ihnp4|osu-cis}!n8emr!uncle!jbm
|>home: (614) 294-4823, work: (614) 459-7641; talk to me about fractals

Yes...but even more important -- examine the operation of the /dev/ph*
phone DRIVERS.  In the middle of an OS already stranger than many of the
unices out there is a piece of bug-laden code which can and should be
fixed once and for all.

So far, the bugs I have experienced simply because either the driver or
the phone management/uucp software (I believe it is the driver) is brain-
damaged is:  1. sometimes the line that the handset becomes connected to
misteriously becomes line2 (my data line) and reaks havoc with incoming
calls, 2. my internal speaker will somehow remain (become) connected to
my data line (line 2) and incoming modem signals will be heard (loudly)
through the internal speaker.  This usually happens when I am not at home,
and annoys the folks in the apartment below,  3. processes associated
with phone management die or become confused.

I'm sure that there are more problems from various folks out there.

One more point of clarification -- a lot of folks have been beating the
OBM (on-board modem) to death on the net, as well as port tty000.  Please
folks, the hardware is not at fault.  In fact, the hardware as I've seen
it (through schematics, of course) is very flexible and has the capability
to do what you want without problems.  The problem as I see it is the
SOFTWARE (ie. the OS).

My belief (perhaps incorrect, anyone care to modify/add to this?) is that
the /dev/ph* and the i8274 driver bugs need to be collected and fixed.
Fixed means that they are debugged, no bugs.  After these are fixed, I think
that many folks would see a marked improvement in the performance of the
phone management software.  Of course, let's not stop here -- the net has
been a good source of bugs which need to be fixed.

If nobody else wants-to/is-able-to fix these bugs, I'd be the first volunteer.
Send me the source code to unix :-).

Can you believe that the OS in this machine is really written to act as a
"safe" interface between user and hardware?

+------------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
| Gil Kloepfer, Jr.                  | Net-Address:                           |
| ICUS Software Systems              | {boulder,talcott}!icus!limbic!gil      |
| P.O. Box 1                         | Voice-net: (516) 968-6860              |
| Islip Terrace, New York  11752     | Othernet: gil@limbic.UUCP              |
+------------------------------------+----------------------------------------+

rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) (06/18/88)

>One more point of clarification -- a lot of folks have been beating the
>OBM (on-board modem) to death on the net, as well as port tty000.  Please
>folks, the hardware is not at fault.  In fact, the hardware as I've seen
>it (through schematics, of course) is very flexible and has the capability
>to do what you want without problems.  The problem as I see it is the
>SOFTWARE (ie. the OS).

tty000 problems are purely software.  The driver(s) were brain
damaged, but for the most part have been repaired.

Expansion boards, if they have problems are predominantly hardware
problems.  Although the fix is incredibly trivial.  Replace a chip.
Of course, if you still have brain damaged drivers, then you'll still
not be able to use the ports to full capabilities, even though your
machine won't crash quite as seriously.

The OBM is another issue altogether, though.  Sure.  The OBM has had
its problems as well because of software.  A lot of it was attributed
it to a brain damaged (that term is getting used a lot :-) uucico.
While not much more intelligent, the uucico fixes have made a marked
improvement.

But let's take it a step further... A lot of modems out there
recognize the OBM as an 1200 baud MNP modem.  Believe me.  It's not.
A lot of modems out there are also fully capable of connecting with
any brand of modem providing any "legal" carrier tone.  But wait a
moment... Then there is the 3b1 and the OBM.  All of a sudden you
might have discovered a modem that you cannot connect to.  This is not
OS related, but is hardware related (of course, depending what you
consider firmware, that point is debatable :-)  Many modems will
connect fine, but many will not.

Even Telebit Trailblazers under one type of configuration will connect
to every available modem (apparently :-) but will always fail on a 3b1
OBM.  A different configuration which isn't necessarily as optimum or
efficient, works in all cases.   While the OBM may not be completely
the guilty party, it is certainly at least an accomplice.  Even the
best hardware is only as good as how well it operates.  In many ways
the OBM works better than a lot of commercial modems, but in other
ways, it leaves a lot to be desired.

Anyways, that's all subtopics.  There are a lot of software items that
should be fixed or at least notably enhanced, but don't expect
anything from it.  ATT isn't going to put a lot of effort to fixing
something that works (even if it doesn't work well, it still works),
and source is practically impossible to obtain (even certain sections
of ATT's 3b1 support groups weren't able to get the source for a long
time...)

(Although, not to be unfair - for the past several weeks, I've been
keeping in touch with a very small subset of technicians, keeping tabs
on the current state of some repairs and reporting new problems as
they are made known.  While not everything may be repaired, these
techs are handling the items very well (surprisingly, at times.  And
no, these are not the "phone techs" which I have had some very
frustrating experiences with).  These people are taking serious issues
with the seriousness it deserves, plus they perform what is normally
considered a reasonable test period.  The advantage is that the
updates or fixes released are more than likely solid and complete.
The disadvantage is that you have to wait, and normally can't find out
what's being repaired...)

--
"I've been trying for some time to                           Robert J. Granvin
 develop a life-style that doesn't          National Information Systems, Inc.

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (06/19/88)

As far as I know, the chipset used in the On Board Modem is the
same chipset that is used in several of the AT&T 22xx series
modems.  On the machine here, OBM doesn't seem any better or worse
than any other 1200 buad modem  (we have terrible fone lines, and
noise is copious on anything without error correction and baud
rates above 300).

The Reason MNP modems get goofed-up calling the OBM is the same
reason that MNP modems get goofed-up calling a Hayes Smartmodem on
a Vax.  (Yes, they do.)  Apparently, getty politely echoes back the
querry string from the originate modem as it tries to establish MNP
handshake.  The querry string being echoed back seems to be enough
to trick the originate end into thinking that the answerer is MNP when,
in fact, it is not.

You can probably duplicate this experiment yourself by calling a
Hayes Smartmodem or clone thereof on onther extension in your office
with nothing plugged into the RS232.  The Hayes should be set to
autoanswer.  Call it with your favorite MNP device (Trailbalzer, or
whatever).  The origninate modem should negotiate a non-MNP
connection.  Now, connect pin 2 to pin 3 on the Hayes by sticking a
piece of wire in the Holes.  This should simulate getty-babble.
Call the Hayes again.  Sha-zam!, it should look to the originate
modem like it just established a valid MNP link.

I guess you could say that if anything, getty is to blame.  More
correctly, perhaps, the MNP protocol is to blame.

One way to fix the problem would be to hack the getty source (outta
luck about this idea on the 3b1!) so that getty keeps its mouth
shut until it gets a character from the originate side that is not
part of the MNP handshake sequence.  The other solution is to get a
real MNP modem and stick it on tty000, and use that instead of OBM.
With the idigienous icky UUCP software on the 3b1, tty000 works
much better than OBM anyway.

As far as poor OBM support goes, people that I know who are using
the Honey DAN BER UUCP kit report that many of their problems with
OBM seem to disappear with HDB.  Too bad AT&T is sitting on it.
I'd really love to know what the politics of not letting us have
HDB are.  I for one would pay $$ for it, as long as it didn't cost
as much as the whole O/S or something.  (Re: $495 for the EIA
board!  I bought a 2-port EIA board for my P.C for $39.  Economy of
scale I guess.)  It suppose putting HDB on ths store (for free)
conflicts with policy, since HDB is for sale as part of BNU for some
of the other sytems.  People paying for HDB as part of BNU might be
offended.  C'est la vie.

--Bill
  for this week:  impulse!wtm@neoucom.UUCP

nic@dworld.UUCP (Nic Bernstein) (06/22/88)

In article <1259@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
>The Reason MNP modems get goofed-up calling the OBM is the same
>reason that MNP modems get goofed-up calling a Hayes Smartmodem on
>a Vax.  (Yes, they do.)  Apparently, getty politely echoes back the
>querry string from the originate modem as it tries to establish MNP
>handshake.  The querry string being echoed back seems to be enough
>to trick the originate end into thinking that the answerer is MNP when,
>in fact, it is not.
>
>One way to fix the problem would be to hack the getty source (outta
>luck about this idea on the 3b1!) so that getty keeps its mouth
>shut until it gets a character from the originate side that is not
>part of the MNP handshake sequence.
>
>--Bill
>  for this week:  impulse!wtm@neoucom.UUCP

Not too terribly long ago, maybe 5 or 6 months, someone posted a program
called `uutty' to comp.sources.unix, which was able to deal with verbose
modems like this.  As a matter of fact I seem to remember that the author
even provided instructions for some of the more common ones.  Let's just
see here... which disk was that on...

		...Here it is, this is the `note-from-net' from the
		original posting.

/* Written  4:44 pm  Feb 19, 1987 by mirror.TMC.COM!sources-request in bradley:comp.sources.unix */
/* ---------- "v08i072:  Bidirectional getty/login" ---------- */
Submitted by: cdx39!jc@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (John Chambers)
Mod.sources: Volume 8, Issue 72
Archive-name: uutty/Part01

[  I have not tried this.  --r$  ]

Hello.  Enclosed is a program which I've been using for some
time as a replacement for getty; I call it "uutty" as a hint
that it cooperates with uucp/uux/mail/cu/etc.  Several friends
have suggested I broadcast it, so here it is....

Uutty's primary function is to make it easy to use a port in
both directions with little grief.  On a port with an ACU-type
modem, it allows both outgoing and incoming calls without any
need to fiddle with inittab.  On a direct link, it allows the
use of commands like uucp or cu in either direction at any
time.

Uutty's secondary function is to try to recognize input from
overly-intelligent modems or other login daemons, and avoid
getting into a cycle-eating conversation with them.

There is also a tertiary function:  optionally producing an
audit (debug) trail of traffic on the port at times when no
program (such as uucico or cu) is using it.  This is mostly
useful when you have a talkative modem or LAN connection.

This version should be classified as a "beta test" version;
it has been tested on only a few varieties of Unix, and it
will probably have to be modified for others.  The two parts
that may not be very portable are the code to put a port into
raw mode (makeraw.c), and the code to log in a user (*.utmp.c).

Another major reason for wanting the source code close at
hand is that you will likely have to twiddle with the code
that handles talkative modems, in order to respond correctly
to your modems' own variety of bizarreness.  An especially
common problem is being overly sensitive to speed.  Many
modems won't accept commands at the full line speed (1200
baud or whatever); they assume that commands come from a
person typing at a keyboard, and lose characters when it
comes from a program in a burst.  This program writes the
"init" strings byte-at-a-time, which may be slow enough,
but you may have to slow these writes down even more to
make the modem understand.

	I have used this myself for bi-directional uucp connections, and
    found it to work great on a pair of 3b1/7300's.  You can get it from
    the archives, or if necessary I can mail it to anyone who may need it.
    it comes in two compressed shars which weigh in at 30K each, or about
    100K total if uncompressed.

--
Careful with that axiom, Euclid			Nic Bernstein
			       			Discovery World Museum

dca@kesmai.COM (David C. Albrecht) (06/22/88)

> One way to fix the problem would be to hack the getty source (outta
> luck about this idea on the 3b1!) so that getty keeps its mouth
> shut until it gets a character from the originate side that is not
> part of the MNP handshake sequence.
Why out of luck?  I got my hands on a PD getty login driver and replaced
the default one on the tty000 line.  The one I put in doesn't echo either
the login or the password characters and takes pains to recognise if its
talking to another login request.  This way I was able to hook two unix
pc's by their serial ports and both in HOST_ONLY mode and yet able to
use the phone manager to log on from one machine to the other and/or transfer
info via uucp.  If echoing the input characters is the problem with the
MNP line I would expect that it might world with the phone line as well.

David Albrecht