[comp.sys.att] Bidirectional 2400 baud modem for 3B2

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (06/25/88)

We are going to have to buy a 2400 baud modem for our 3B2/400. The cheap
Hayes clone that we tried never did work bidirectionally.

Other than Hayes, what 2400 baud modems are people using successfully on
a 3B2/400? We're really looking for something that is super easy to set
up and that will work bidirectionally with no fancy fiddling!

Thanks for your input.

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
UUCP: ihnp4!husc6!amcad!stech!sysop or allegra!stech!sysop
BITNET: JHARRY@BENTLEY

	Miscellaneous profundity:

		"No matter where you go, there you are."
				Buckaroo Banzai

len@netsys.UUCP (Len Rose) (06/26/88)

This topic should be added to the commonly asked questions on the net.

Either get an AT&T 2224 or 4024 or 2212 -or-
Upgrade to 3.1 and use any cheap modem in existence.

Seriously..

--
Len Rose - NetSys,Inc. 301-520-5677
len@ames.arc.nasa.gov  or {ames,decuac,ihnp4}!netsys!len

ilan343@violet.berkeley.edu (06/27/88)

In article <601@stech.UUCP> sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) writes:
>We are going to have to buy a 2400 baud modem for our 3B2/400. The cheap
>Hayes clone that we tried never did work bidirectionally.
>
>Other than Hayes, what 2400 baud modems are people using successfully on
>a 3B2/400? We're really looking for something that is super easy to set
>up and that will work bidirectionally with no fancy fiddling!

I am using an ATT4024 with a 3B2/400 running 3.0.  This modem can be used
as a Hayes compatible or with the ATT command set.  As a Hayes compatible
it does not work bidirectionally.  Using the ATT command set it works fine,
but we had to patch (very easy) the /usr/lib/uucp/Dialers and
/usr/lib/uucp/Devices as 3.0 sysadm doesn't support the modem.

twh@mibte.UUCP (Tim Hitchcock) (06/28/88)

In article <601@stech.UUCP>, sysop@stech.UUCP writes:
> We are going to have to buy a 2400 baud modem for our 3B2/400. The cheap
> Hayes clone that we tried never did work bidirectionally.
>
> Other than Hayes, what 2400 baud modems are people using successfully on
> a 3B2/400? We're really looking for something that is super easy to set
> up and that will work bidirectionally with no fancy fiddling!
>
> Thanks for your input.
>
> Jan Harrington, sysop

AT&T 2224B or 2224CEO (Emulating 2224B). It will work bidirectionally
with a standard dialer script.