[comp.sys.att] OBM

stevens@hsi.UUCP (Richard Stevens) (06/18/88)

In article <137@limbic.UUCP>, gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) writes:

> One more point of clarification -- a lot of folks have been beating the
> OBM (on-board modem) to death on the net, as well as port tty000.  Please
> folks, the hardware is not at fault.

I think the OBM is real junk, especially coming from "the" phone
company.  Before getting my 3b1 I was using a Racal-Vadic modem
at 1200 with a dumb terminal, and *never* saw any line noise at
all.  Then with the OBM, the quality of local calls using it is
awful (all the extraneous characters - tildes and the like).
(There was all the talk on the net months ago about what causes
this, how its usually the local Telco's fault, etc.)  However,
then I got a TrailBlazer Plus and when I use it at 1200 baud
(using the same Bell protocol that the OBM uses) there are *never*
any extraneous characters at all.  Seems like Telebit understands
the 1200 baud protocol better than AT&T.

Why is it the non-AT&T modems are so much better than the AT&T
modems ??

	Richard Stevens
	Health Systems International, New Haven, CT
           { uunet | ihnp4 } ! hsi ! stevens

jcs@tarkus.UUCP (John C. Sucilla) (06/20/88)

In article <1020@hsi.UUCP> stevens@hsi.UUCP (Richard Stevens) writes:
>In article <137@limbic.UUCP>, gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) writes:
>>
>> One more point of clarification -- a lot of folks have been beating the
>> OBM (on-board modem) to death on the net, as well as port tty000.  Please
>> folks, the hardware is not at fault.
>>

>I think the OBM is real junk, especially coming from "the" phone
>company.

                 Blah
                 Blah
                 Blah

>Seems like Telebit understands the 1200 baud protocol better than AT&T.

Yeah right.  The people who *wrote* the standard don't understand it.

>Why is it the non-AT&T modems are so much better than the AT&T
>modems ??

They aren't.  What you need to understand is that your hardware was
designed by Convergent, not AT&T.
--
John "C". Sucilla,  A silicon based life form.
       {ihnp4,chinet,ddsw1}!tarkus!jcs

gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) (06/20/88)

In article <137@limbic.UUCP>, I mistakenly write:

> One more point of clarification -- a lot of folks have been beating the
> OBM (on-board modem) to death on the net, as well as port tty000.  Please
> folks, the hardware is not at fault.

In article <1020@hsi.UUCP> stevens@hsi.UUCP (Richard Stevens) writes:
|>I think the OBM is real junk, especially coming from "the" phone
|>company.  Before getting my 3b1 I was using a Racal-Vadic modem
|>at 1200 with a dumb terminal, and *never* saw any line noise at
|>all.  Then with the OBM, the quality of local calls using it is
|>awful (all the extraneous characters - tildes and the like).

Eek...I think my original words were clearly a case of "open mouth -- insert
foot".

Funny you should talk about line noise...before I got my unix-pc, I was using
a real cheap 1200 baud modem with NO problem.  Enter UNIX-pc with OBM -- now
I sometimes get that "cute" little "}i" when I dial in.

Not to mention Robert's thing about connecting with some smarter modems who
think that the OBM is what it says it is (oops..forgot about that one I did).
Although this one may be something in the OBM's software config, it still
doesn't explain "}i".

|>Why is it the non-AT&T modems are so much better than the AT&T
|>modems ??

AT&T likes it when you retransmit over and over on a long distance call ;-)

|>	Richard Stevens
|>	Health Systems International, New Haven, CT
|>           { uunet | ihnp4 } ! hsi ! stevens

...Taking my beating....

+------------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
| Gil Kloepfer, Jr.                  | Net-Address:                           |
| ICUS Software Systems              | {boulder,talcott}!icus!limbic!gil      |
| P.O. Box 1                         | Voice-net: (516) 968-6860              |
| Islip Terrace, New York  11752     | Othernet: gil@limbic.UUCP              |
+------------------------------------+----------------------------------------+

mmengel@cuuxb.ATT.COM (~XT4103000~Marc Mengel~C25~G25~6184~) (06/20/88)

In article <1020@hsi.UUCP> stevens@hsi.UUCP (Richard Stevens) writes:
$In article <137@limbic.UUCP>, gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) writes:
$>
$> One more point of clarification -- a lot of folks have been beating the
$> OBM (on-board modem) to death on the net, as well as port tty000.  Please
$> folks, the hardware is not at fault.
$I think the OBM is real junk, especially coming from "the" phone
$company.
[Example of  Racal-vadic & Telebit working better than  7300 OBM]
$
$Why is it the non-AT&T modems are so much better than the AT&T
$modems ??

	Well, the OBM on the 7300 was sold by AT&T, but
	it is completely unrelated to any of the modems actually
	built by AT&T; it was just whatever Convergent Technologies
	decided to throw in the box when they built the machine.
	(The 7300 was designed & built many moons ago by Convergent
	for AT&T.  The system, while sufficient for many people,
	isn't as strict about meeting interface spec.s as "our"
	equipment.  As far as I know, it is the only modem Convergent
	ever built.)

	So, please don't generalize about AT&T modems based on
	the 7300.  Most of our actual modem line, esp. the high
	end DATAPHONE II line, is *very* high quality.

$	Richard Stevens
$	Health Systems International, New Haven, CT
$           { uunet | ihnp4 } ! hsi ! stevens

--
 Marc Mengel

 attmail!mmengel
 {lll-crg|mtune|ihnp4}!cuuxb!mmengel

alex@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Alex S. Crain) (06/20/88)

	Lessee... 512K of memory goes for about $200 cheap.
		  a 10megabyte disk is worth at least $100.
		  a 10" monitor is >$50, last I checked...
		  a disk drive is another $60,
		  and $40 for a keyboard ain't bad,

	Since AT&T is just *giving away* 7300s, and, the above setup costs
$500, that means the OBM costs $50!

	And if you ask me, pretty good for a modem that has NEVER given me
ANY grief! I've got my pc connected to the house phone line, which it calls
out on about 4 times a day. In spite of having people pick up the phone and
DIAL IT, I've only ONCE had uucico get confused enough to abort the transfer!
I use kermit for remote logins daily, without anywhere near the line noise
that I used to get out of my commadore.

	BTW: I use HDB uucp, w/ the system 7 mailer.
--
					:alex.

nerwin!alex@umbc3.umd.edu
alex@umbc3.umd.edu

bob@rush.cts.com (Bob Ames) (06/22/88)

In article <1861@cuuxb.ATT.COM>, mmengel@cuuxb.ATT.COM (~XT4103000~Marc Mengel~C25~G25~6184~) writes:

> 	So, please don't generalize about AT&T modems based on
> 	the 7300.  Most of our actual modem line, esp. the high
> 	end DATAPHONE II line, is *very* high quality.

Gee, if I can't call an AT&T modem AT&T, what should I call it?

I feel that AT&T should not put their name on equipment that doesn't
even meet the BELL (AT&T) 212A standard.

Bob Ames      INET: bob@rush.cts.com

Rush UNIKS PC Support Center   Bell: 208-733-0931
UUCP: {      , ucsd, nosc, sun!     , hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!rush!bob
"I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition!"   {icus, jack}!/

"We each pay a fabulous price - for our visions of paradise." - N Peart 1987

erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) (06/23/88)

In article <1023@umbc3.UMD.EDU>, alex@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Alex S. Crain) writes:

[description of good luck with the OBM]

Me too.  I'm running stock 3.0 w/ development set (as if that matters :-)

> 	BTW: I use HDB uucp, w/ the system 7 mailer.

What release of unix?
--
                                        Skate UNIX or go home, boogie boy...
"But why should i type "rm -r $HOME" if I want to play trek???"

becker@ziebmef.uucp (Bruce Becker) (06/24/88)

In article <1023@umbc3.UMD.EDU> alex@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Alex S. Crain) writes:
>	BTW: I use HDB uucp, w/ the system 7 mailer.
>--
>					:alex.

Alex, how do you get to have HDB uucp? I'd love to get it!!

Cheers, Bruce Becker
UUCP:  ...!mnetor!lsuc!becker!bdb, ...!mnetor!unicus!humvax!becker
BitNet: BECKER@HUMBER.BITNET

hoffman@pitt.UUCP (Bob Hoffman) (07/01/88)

In article <109@tarkus.UUCP> jcs@tarkus.UUCP (John C. Sucilla) writes:
>>Why is it the non-AT&T modems are so much better than the AT&T
>>modems ??
>
>They aren't.  What you need to understand is that your hardware was
>designed by Convergent, not AT&T.

While the whole machine may have been designed by Convergent, the
modem chip (and I quote from the hardware description document) is
an "AT&T proprietary Switched Capacitor Modem 882A single chip circuit".

	---Bob.

--
Bob Hoffman, N3CVL       {allegra, bellcore, cadre, idis, psuvax1}!pitt!hoffman
Pitt Computer Science    hoffman@vax.cs.pittsburgh.edu