[comp.sys.att] 3b1 67meg drive, self-parking?

richard@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Richard Foulk) (06/30/88)

Here's a question I keep forgetting to ask; is the 67meg
drive self parking?  I vaguely recall seeing a brochure
for the Miniscribe drives that seemed to say something
to that effect.  ?

Richard

rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) (07/01/88)

>Here's a question I keep forgetting to ask; is the 67meg
>drive self parking?  I vaguely recall seeing a brochure
>for the Miniscribe drives that seemed to say something
>to that effect.  ?

Whether it does or not, the ATT documentation states in more than one
place, that you should boot up the diagnostics disk and use the park
heads option whenever you are going to move a machine.  It doesn't (if
I recall correctly) really talk too much about parking before a power
down, but I would imagine it wouldn't be bad practice.

--
"I've been trying for some time to                           Robert J. Granvin
 develop a life-style that doesn't          National Information Systems, Inc.

ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) (07/01/88)

In article <606@sialis.mn.org> rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) writes:
>>Here's a question I keep forgetting to ask; is the 67meg
>>drive self parking?
>
>Whether it does or not, the ATT documentation states in more than one
>place, that you should boot up the diagnostics disk and use the park
>heads option whenever you are going to move a machine.

Yes, but despite those warnings there was an addendum sheet included with
version 3.51 (as shipped with my 3B1) that stated to disregard the message
about using the diagnostic disk to park the heads - it said a normal shutdown
from the UA was sufficient.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::  Boyd Ostroff, Technical Director   :: System Operator, "The CallBoard"
:: Department of Theatre, SUNY Oswego  :: - Serving the performing arts -
:: Internet: ostroff@oswego.Oswego.EDU :: (315) 947-6414, 300/1200 baud, 8N1
::        Voice: (315) 341-2138        :: UUCP ...sunybcs!oswego!cboard!ostroff
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) (07/02/88)

In article <2009@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> richard@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu
(Richard Foulk) writes:
|>Here's a question I keep forgetting to ask; is the 67meg
|>drive self parking?  I vaguely recall seeing a brochure
|>for the Miniscribe drives that seemed to say something
|>to that effect.  ?

According to the 3.51 OS Technical Tips notes (separate sheets that came
with the AT&T UNIX pc Owner's Manual) page 5 states:

4.  Page 3-95.  The disk heads on the model 3B1 do note need to be parked
    using the Diagnostic Disk.  These disk heads are parked automatically
    when the shutdown command is used.  Disk heads on model 7300 must be
    parked with the Diagnostic disk as described on page 3-95 of this manual.

Therefore, the /etc/shutdown message is bogus on 3B1's and the hard disks
are self-parking.

-Lenny
--
Paper-net: Lenny Tropiano          | @-net:         lenny@icus.UUCP
           ICUS Software Systems   | !-net:      ...att    \

robert@pttesac.UUCP (Robert Rodriguez) (07/02/88)

In article <2009@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> richard@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Richard Foulk) writes:
>Here's a question I keep forgetting to ask; is the 67meg
>drive self parking?  I vaguely recall seeing a brochure
>for the Miniscribe drives that seemed to say something
>to that effect.  ?
>
>Richard

I seem to remember talking to a Jim Lynch on the AT&T hotline and asked
him the same question.  He said yes, of course.  He went on to say next
time I shut down my machine to listen to the sound it makes, he assured
me that was the sound of the heads retracting, and then parking.

Robert

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (07/02/88)

In article <606@sialis.mn.org> rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) writes:
>>Here's a question I keep forgetting to ask; is the 67meg
>>drive self parking?
>
>Whether it does or not, the ATT documentation states in more than one
>place, that you should boot up the diagnostics disk and use the park
>heads option whenever you are going to move a machine.

The 67 Meg drives (Miniscribe) have a self-parking feature.  Using the
diagnostics disk to park the heads is self-defeating.  As soon as you
power down, them heads is gonna park theyselves anyhow.  With a quite
audible "Thwack!", I might add!

--
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate

thad@cup.portal.com (07/02/88)

Yes, the "67MB" drive on the 3B1 is self-parking upon power down.

karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) (07/03/88)

In article <409@icus.UUCP> lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>In article <2009@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> richard@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu
>(Richard Foulk) writes:
>|>Here's a question I keep forgetting to ask; is the 67meg
>|>drive self parking?  I vaguely recall seeing a brochure
>|>for the Miniscribe drives that seemed to say something
>|>to that effect.  ?

ALL Miniscribe 6xxx series drives self-park when the power is removed.  The
actuator is retracted and locked on the loss of power.

In other words, if you've a Miniscribe full-height drive, it auto-parks when
you turn off the power.  The OS has nothing to do with it.  AT&T's
contention that the 'shutdown' command does this is incorrect, at least for
the larger disks...

This is also true for Seagate full-height 4xxx series drives, as well as the
ST251's.  It is *not* true for most garden-variety stepper-motor small
drives (ex: ST225, etc).  These need to be parked.

--
Karl Denninger (ddsw1!karl) Data: (312) 566-8912, Voice: (312) 566-8910
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc.    "Quality solutions at a fair price"

bob@rush.cts.com (Bob Ames) (07/04/88)

In article <606@sialis.mn.org>, rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) writes:
> >Here's a question I keep forgetting to ask; is the 67meg
> >drive self parking?  I vaguely recall seeing a brochure
> >for the Miniscribe drives that seemed to say something
> >to that effect.  ?
>
> Whether it does or not, the ATT documentation states in more than one
> place, that you should boot up the diagnostics disk and use the park
> heads option whenever you are going to move a machine.  It doesn't (if
> I recall correctly) really talk too much about parking before a power
> down, but I would imagine it wouldn't be bad practice.

The addendum to the 3.51 System Software guide (extra 6 or 7 papers) states
that if you have a disk that originally came in a 3B1, (NOT 7300!) your
hard disk does not need to be parked.

Bob Ames      INET: bob@rush.cts.com

Howard Publications, Inc.   Bell: 208-733-0931
UUCP: {rutgers!ucsd, nosc, hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!rush!bob
"I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition!"

"We each pay a fabulous price - for our visions of paradise." - N Peart 1987