[comp.sys.att] ph questions

darren@bacchus (Darren Friedlein) (06/27/88)

I replaced ph with .phclr recently and now my UNIXpc will only dial out
in pulse.  (Didn't someone else have this problem recently?)  Anyway --
I'd like to find out why it does this and what function(s) .phclr serves.
I want to make a replacement for ph/.phclr that will let me bind the
8 shift-funtion_keys to 8 programs (maybe /usr/local/bin/FN[1-8]) so that
I can do anything I want with the function keys.  What other function do
I need to work in?  Should I be running ph and *then* .phclr or just
.phclr?  Thanx!

-darren
         ____
        /    \
       |                                 Rt 4, Box 416, Durham, NC 27703
  _____|_____     Darren G. Friedlein      data (bacchus) : 919/596-7746
 /     |     \                                      voice : 919/596-9492
(      |      )
 \____/    __/      {mcnc|icus|ethos|gladys|bakerst}!bacchus!darren

ford@elgar.UUCP (Mike "Ford" Ditto) (07/04/88)

In article <521@bacchus> darren@bacchus (Darren Friedlein) writes:
>I replaced ph with .phclr recently and now my UNIXpc will only dial out
>in pulse.

I wrote a program like stty but which displays/edits the phone
parameters; I run it from a script in /etc/daemons/.  But a quicky
solution that I used on the machines at work when I didn't have my
program on the system is this:

	echo 'phndef+5e/W 6' | adb -w /unix /dev/kmem

(or, for ph0:
	echo 'phndef+2c/W 6' | adb -w /unix /dev/kmem
)

Create a file called /etc/daemons/dtmf (chmod +x) and put the above
line(s) in it.  Run it by hand if you don't feel like rebooting for
it to take effect.

					-=] Ford [=-

"Once there were parking lots,		(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
now it's a peaceful oasis.		ford@elgar.cts.com
This was a Pizza Hut,			...!sdcsvax!crash!elgar!ford
now it's all covered with daisies." -- Talking Heads

jbm@uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) (07/10/88)

In article <203@elgar.UUCP> ford@elgar.cts.com (Mike "Ford" Ditto) writes:
>In article <521@bacchus> darren@bacchus (Darren Friedlein) writes:
>>I replaced ph with .phclr recently and now my UNIXpc will only dial out
>>in pulse.
>
>I wrote a program like stty but which displays/edits the phone

I also dumped ph. My /etc/.phinit looks like this now (ph0=voice, ph1=data)
---- /etc/.phinit ----
/etc/phupd ph0 VOICE YES NO NO
/etc/phupd ph1 DATA YES NO NO
cd /usr/spool/uucp
lock=LCK..ph0
if [ ! -f $lock ]; then
	echo "\0\0\0\01" > $lock
fi
chown root $lock
chmod 644 $lock

There seems to be a bug in .phclr where it only looks at one .linexxx file.

Hey Ford, how about posting the "phtty" program you wrote?

John
--
John Bly Milton IV, jbm@uncle.UUCP, n8emr!uncle!jbm@osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu
home: (614) 294-4823, work: (614) 459-7641; CP/M to MP/M, MS-DOS to OS/2