[comp.sys.att] varible name conflicts in news

erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) (07/10/88)

[This is on unix.pc and comp.sys.att because many 3b1/7300 owners still
use 3.0 w/ its 8char limit.]

I was playing with a c preprocessor that converts all varible names
in <=8character variblenames.  If there is a conflict, the cpp converts
a conflicitng name to a crc'd name.

I found, in news (B 2.11 patch #14) three varible name conflicts.
I've had news up and running for almost a year now -- the c compiler
never complained as it truncates everything to 8 characters.  I think
this might solve a few buggy, rather erratic problems I was having.

Here are the varible names, and my substitutions:

histfile  -- leave as histfile
histfilecounter -- BOGUS1

writeout -- leave as writeout
writeoutrc -- BOGUS2

newsgroup -- change to "newsgrou" (compiler does this anyway....)
newsgroups -- BOGUS3

Just realised I didn't list the filenames that this occurs in.  I'll
leave this as an exercise for the reader. :-)

Also, although diffs might have been easier to apply, they would have been
*much* larger than this posting.

Hope this helps someone.
--
Skate UNIX or go home, boogie boy...
     [Obscure joke goes here]

clb) (07/11/88)

In article <1079@flatline.UUCP>, erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) writes:

> [This is on unix.pc and comp.sys.att because many 3b1/7300 owners still
> use 3.0 w/ its 8char limit.]
>
> I was playing with a c preprocessor that converts all varible names
> in <=8character variblenames.  If there is a conflict, the cpp converts
> a conflicitng name to a crc'd name.

	There's a program in the "killer" unix-pc archives which can
	be used to check and fix this kind of problem. Called "cppp"
	it can be used on net programs. If you are interested in a copy
	of it, check killer!/bbsys4/sources/unix-pc/Index or let me
	know and I'll e-mail a copy.

--
			CLBrunow - KA5SOF
	Loci Products, POB 833846-131, Richardson, Texas 75083