[comp.sys.att] 3b2/300 or 3b1 ----> I PREFER 3B1 BY A LONG SHOT!!

mark@cogent.UUCP (Captain Neptune) (07/14/88)

In article <279@jackson.UUCP> egranthm@jackson.UUCP (Ewan Grantham) writes:
>Have recently been looking at trying to acquire a 3b1 system when a
>local vendor contacted me with a 'deal' on a 3b2/300. The 3b2/300
>comes with 1 meg ram, 30 meg HD, and Unix V.3
>
>Since the price of the system is $2350, I'm wondering if this is a better
>deal than the 3b1. Is the 3b2/300 better supported by AT&T? Will I be able
>to do more with it?

We had a 3B2/300 in our office for quite a while.  We eventually returned
the piece of junk because it was excruciatingly slow - as long as 30 minutes
to comile a fairly large program!

I'd prefer my 3B1 (actually made by Convergent) over any of the boat anchors
that AT&T made (i.e. 3B2, 3Bwhatever)

Incidentally, I've seen benchmarks where the 3B2s and 3B5s came in at
the bottom of the whole bunch, including $-per-performance ratings.
--
Mark Steven Jeghers                               "No reward for resistance,
Cogent Software Solutions                          no assistance,

gmark@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Stewart) (07/14/88)

In article <471@cogent.UUCP>, mark@cogent.UUCP (Captain Neptune) writes:
> In article <279@jackson.UUCP> egranthm@jackson.UUCP (Ewan Grantham) writes:
> >Have recently been looking at trying to acquire a 3b1 system when a
> Incidentally, I've seen benchmarks where the 3B2s and 3B5s came in at
> the bottom of the whole bunch, including $-per-performance ratings.

Say, Cap (and anyone else), out of curiousity, how did the 3B1 compare
to the 3B2 in terms of speed?  (I've gotten observations on this before,
but you know how benchmarks are...)  Thanks in advance!

				- Mark

				G. Mark Stewart
				ATT_BTL, Naperville, Ill. ix1g266
				ixlpq!gms (312)979-0914
				(please include phone in response)

rwhite@nusdhub.UUCP (Robert C. White Jr.) (07/15/88)

in article <471@cogent.UUCP>, mark@cogent.UUCP (Captain Neptune) says:

> In article <279@jackson.UUCP> egranthm@jackson.UUCP (Ewan Grantham) writes:
>>Have recently been looking at trying to acquire a 3b1 system when a
>>local vendor contacted me with a 'deal' on a 3b2/300. The 3b2/300
>>comes with 1 meg ram, 30 meg HD, and Unix V.3
>>
>>Since the price of the system is $2350, I'm wondering if this is a better
>>deal than the 3b1. Is the 3b2/300 better supported by AT&T? Will I be able
>>to do more with it?
>
> We had a 3B2/300 in our office for quite a while.  We eventually returned
> the piece of junk because it was excruciatingly slow - as long as 30 minutes
> to comile a fairly large program!

The 3B2/300 dosn't have a full-logic-on-a-chip CPU present in all
the other 3B2s, and is quite a dog.  It is not "unsupported," but
the only real "support" you are going to get is an offer to let
you buy an upgrade kit to make it a 3B2/310.

There is a world of difference between the 300 and the 310.  It seems
that the CPU logic on the 300 was a duaghter board with a clocking
kludge, which made it mucho-stupido and slug-like.  The banishment
of the daughter board was a good thing, though I dont remember the
price.

Rob.

Disclaimer:  this is not "offical" AT&T party line, but it's close.