[comp.sys.att] 3B1 questions

sbw@naucse.UUCP (02/17/87)

(This is my third attempt at posting this, if you've seen it before,
 my apologies.  It doesn't appear to have made it off or our local
 system before, however.)

In the cc(1) man page that comes with the newest UNIX Sys V release
for the ATT 3B1, there is information on how to have the C compiler
generate code for a 68881 math coprocessor.  Further, the parts
list that comes with same lists a MC 68881 as a math acceleration
unit.

On calling around (9 calls - National Parts did not have that
part number lists), I've learned the following.  The 68881 upgrade
for the 3B1 is ~$2,500 (parts only).  Although I want faster
floating point, I'm not particularly interested in spending such
a high percentage of my total system cost to obtain it.  I assume
that such a high price means that there is (at least) an entire
board coming with the 68881.

Does anyone know more about this?  Is there a cheaper way to go?
Please mail me replies, I'll post if there is enough interest.

While I'm at it, does anyone know the cost of moving from a 40MB
disk to a 70MB?  (If the price of the 68881 is any indication, I
don't suppose I'm interested in this either, but I might as well
find out...)

Thanks!
Steve Wampler
{ucbvax, et.al.}!arizona!naucse!sbw

saunders@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (kevin eric saunders) (09/11/87)

   Intrigued by the fire sale, but I'm PROFOUNDLY cautious:

   1:  What manner of drives are supported?  In particular, could
       the 20MB drive be upgraded to some faster/beefier half-height?

   2:  How loud are they?

   3:  Is TCP/IP available for the Starlan?

   4:  Just how bad are the UNIX divergences?

   Thanks,
   kevin

--
Kevin Eric Saunders, Systems Programmer, Cornell U.
ARPA: saunders@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu

twomey@cs.buffalo.EDU (Bill Twomey) (10/20/87)

Under 3.5,

-How can I backup my diagnostic disk?  I dislike the
 idea of having to use the original.

-How do I change the term type? I do a cu to my school VAX
 and would like to use vt100. Right now its s4.
 term=vt100 doesn't seem to help, I still get unused/misused
 ctrl codes when connected.

thanks
-Bill
twomey@gort.cs.Buffalo.EDU   Usenet: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!twomey
Bitnet: twomey@sunybcs   CSnet: twomey%buffalo.csnet@csnet-relay

jep@oink.UUCP (James E. Prior) (10/24/87)

In article <6001@sunybcs.UUCP> twomey@sunybcs.UUCP (Bill Twomey) writes:
>Under 3.5,
>
>-How can I backup my diagnostic disk?  I dislike the
> idea of having to use the original.

>thanks
>-Bill
>twomey@gort.cs.Buffalo.EDU   Usenet: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!twomey
>Bitnet: twomey@sunybcs   CSnet: twomey%buffalo.csnet@csnet-relay

I too, hate to rely upon regular use of master floppies.

I made backups of my diagnostics disk, along with the rest of the foundation
set, as soon as I had set my machine up.

The backup procedure is incredibly stupid.  Don't use the UNIX machine,
use the MS-DOS boxes that are so ubiquitous.  There is a program called
COPYIIPC.EXE for PCs that was intended for making backups of copy protected
software, but it works great for copying just about any disk regardless of
format.  COPYIIPC works more like a XEROX machine than anything else.
A XEROX machine copies almost anything, regardless of the font type, font size
character orientation, paper clips, or languages.  A XEROX machine makes copies
(period).  COPYIIPC does for floppies what XEROXs do for paper.

I use MS-DOS machines for a living, but the following reflects my feelings:
MS-DOS:  Just say no!

--
James E. Prior  {ihnp4|cbosgd}!n8emr!oink!jep

eric@ms.uky.edu (Eric Herrin) (10/27/87)

Question:  How do you back up diagnostics disk?
Answer:    With the copy program supplied with V3.5[1].
	   Tricks?  no, the system software is mostly 10 sectors/track
	   so you have to format your floppy with the fdfmt10.whatever.
	   V3.51 has the 10 sector format in the menus.

			eric

--
|    Eric Herrin II				     	cbosgd!ukma!eric      |
|    "'tis better to be silent                         	eric@UKMA.BITNET      |

jep@oink.UUCP (10/28/87)

In article <7576@e.ms.uky.edu> eric@ms.uky.edu (Eric Herrin) writes:
>Question:  How do you back up diagnostics disk?
>Answer:    With the copy program supplied with V3.5[1].
>	   Tricks?  no, the system software is mostly 10 sectors/track
>	   so you have to format your floppy with the fdfmt10.whatever.
>	   V3.51 has the 10 sector format in the menus.
>
>|Eric Herrin II				     	cbosgd!ukma!eric      |
>|"'tis better to be silent                         	eric@UKMA.BITNET      |
>|and be THOUGHT a fool, than to open              	eric@ms.uky.csnet     |
>|one's mouth and remove all doubt."                	eric@ms.uky.edu       |

The above presumes that one knows with certainty the correct format and
program, and how to execute it properly.  Unfortunately, whenever one
gets a new version of software, or is completely new to a machine, one
doesn't know what the format of disks is, and which special program to use.

I almost expect a diagnostics disk to do special things in some special
screwy way.

That's why I have recommend and continue to recommend the use of some
completely general purpose disk backup program.  Such programs simply
remove all concern about trying to get the format on the UNIX-PC, because
they figure out the format themselves, and automatically format the copy
if needed while copying to it.  I would recommend the UNIX-PC utilities
only when one doesn't have access to a PC.

The general purpose disk backup programs I know about for PC's (that will
usually copy *any* format short of Apple ][ disks) are:
COPYWRIT.EXE
COPYIIPC.EXE

The people who wrote COPYIIPC.EXE, also have a special floppy controller
board (the Option board) that will copy anything on the basis of *flux
changes*.
--
James E. Prior  {ihnp4|cbosgd}!n8emr!oink!jep

sparks@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Steve Gaarder) (07/20/88)

Two 3B1 questions:

Can you get an ethernet card for a 3B1?  How about tcp/ip software?

can you run news on one?  Is anybody out there doing it?

Email replies, if possible.  I will summarize.

--
Steve Gaarder
Cornell University, 171 Hollister, Ithaca NY 14853           607-255-5389