[comp.sys.att] 7300 software

warren@psu-cs.UUCP (Warren Harrison) (07/01/88)

I have been thinking about buying one of those fire sale 7300s, but have
a few questions that maybe some of you 7300 owners could answer.  First,
is tehre currently software commercially available for it?  I know that
in the past there was a PL/I, COBOL (?), etc. compiler available, but has
Language Technology discontinued them?  Also, do the binaries created on
the 7300 run on any other type of machine (besides the 3b1) and vice-versa?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Warren Harrison
Portland State University
{ucbvax,decvax,allegra}!tektronix!psu-cs!warren

thad@cup.portal.com (07/10/88)

I have it on good authority that the AT&T 7300/UNIX PC 3B1 is binary
compatible with the Motorola 6300 and several other systems which were
also manufactured by Convergent.  Haven't tried it personally since I
only have several 3B1 and 7300 systems.

LPI is still actively marketing their language products for the UNIX PC
(e.g. Fortran, C, Pascal, ADA, Cobol. RPG-II, etc.)

bes@holin.ATT.COM (Bradley Smith) (07/15/88)

I have tried programs from the convergent mini-frame on the
unixpc and visa-versa.  The only thing you need to watch is
the windows on the unixpc (bit mapped and all) and if you
use the weird convergent terminals and their window interface.

Also the shared lib. doesn't work on the convergents.
--
Bradley Smith				{ihnp4,mtune,etc...}!holin!bes
AT&T DSG Holmdel, NJ			HO 2L-227

scs@lokkur.UUCP (Steve Simmons) (07/16/88)

In article <7235@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com writes:
>I have it on good authority that the AT&T 7300/UNIX PC 3B1 is binary
>compatible with the Motorola 6300 and several other systems which were
>also manufactured by Convergent.  Haven't tried it personally since I
>only have several 3B1 and 7300 systems.

This is certianly true (via a friends experience) of the MiniFrame.
Recently we were looking for an Ingres for the Unix-PC, and asked RTI about
the MiniFrame version.  They said no, it needed a couple of drivers
that weren't on the Unix-PC.  They said is wasn't difficult to do, but
they weren't going to bother.  Can't really argue with 'em...
--
+ Steve Simmons, Inland Sea Software, Ltd.                 scs@lokkur.uucp +
| 9353 Hidden Lake, Dexter, MI. 48130		              313-426-8981 |

gmark@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Stewart) (07/19/88)

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the "MiniFrame"?  Another
Convergent machine?  How does it compare to the 3B1, and is
it still supported?

				- Mark

				G. Mark Stewart
				ATT_BTL, Naperville, Ill. ix1g266
				ixlpq!gms (312)979-0914
				(please include phone in response)

bes@holin.ATT.COM (Bradley Smith) (07/20/88)

In article <5333@ihlpf.ATT.COM>, gmark@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Stewart) writes:

> Pardon my ignorance, but what's the "MiniFrame"?  Another
> Convergent machine?  How does it compare to the 3B1, and is
> it still supported?
The Mini-Frame is a 68010 computer made by Convergent. It is nolonger
made or supported.  Convergent gave away some to universities.  It is
basically the same machine, in that software for one will run on the
other provided you stay away from shared libraries, and graphics/windowing.

It also has the old 7char limit on names but is demand page.  To me it
looked like the UNIX 3.0 on the UNIXPC.  You could also have TCP/IP, but
the sockets didn't always work right and the select(2) didn't work.

It is about the same performance wise as the 3B1 (if the have the same disks).
--
Bradley Smith				att!holin!bes
AT&T DSG Holmdel, NJ			HO 2L-227

gmark@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Stewart) (07/20/88)

In article <93@holin.ATT.COM>, bes@holin.ATT.COM (Bradley Smith) writes:
> the sockets didn't always work right and the select(2) didn't work.

Not to beat a dead horse, what's it look like, and what sockets are
you referring to?  Not familiar with it.  Thanks in advance.

daveb@llama.rtech.UUCP (Dave Brower) (07/27/88)

In article <263@lokkur.UUCP> scs@lokkur.UUCP (Steve Simmons) writes:
>In article <7235@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com writes:
>>I have it on good authority that the AT&T 7300/UNIX PC 3B1 is binary
>>compatible with the Motorola 6300 and several other systems which were
>>also manufactured by Convergent.  Haven't tried it personally since I
>>only have several 3B1 and 7300 systems.
>
>This is certianly true (via a friends experience) of the MiniFrame.
>Recently we were looking for an Ingres for the Unix-PC, and asked RTI about
>the MiniFrame version.  They said no, it needed a couple of drivers
>that weren't on the Unix-PC.  They said is wasn't difficult to do, but
>they weren't going to bother.  Can't really argue with 'em...

Heh.  News to me.  I'd expect the Miniframe version to work fine.  I've
been tempted to run it myself at home, but never worked up the gumption
to send 20M via 1200 baud uucp...

I routinely move binaries between the 7300 and the miniframe sitting
next to it at home.  The only trick is that the miniframe doesn't have a
shared library, so you can't link on the 7300 using it.  The miniframe
makes a nice tape drive and archiver, at least until I can get SCSI-ed.

-dB
"Ready when you are Raoul!"
{amdahl, cpsc6a, mtxinu, sun, hoptoad}!rtech!daveb daveb@rtech.com <- FINALLY!