[net.movies] 2001

lew (06/09/82)

With all this interest in Star Wars and Star Trek, I can't help pining
for good old 2001. It remains unsurpassed in its depiction of space
habitation. I can't think of any other film which has even attempted
to depict weightlessness at all, let alone as pervasively as 2001.
Other elements of it have been adopted so generally that it is easy
to forget their origin. I'm thinking of the "look" of the flat white
spaceship with lots of surface detail, the zooming effect in the
light show, and the ape costumes.

The genius stroke of the movie, though, was HAL. How can R2D2 compare?

				Lew Mammel, Jr. - BTL Indian Hill

geoff (06/11/82)

I understand that Kubrick is currently working on 2010, a sequel.

Geoff Collyer, U. of Toronto Computing Services

rjnoe@ihlts.UUCP (Roger Noe) (10/10/83)

Now let's get a few things straight about "2001:  A Space Odyssey."
The food in the tube slipped down A LITTLE because of surface tension.
This same effect was noticed long ago in the U.S. manned space missions.
Of course, in filming the scene one cannot cancel gravity which certainly
pulled the food down farther than it would have in microgravity.  So the
"technical error" is more one of degree than quality.  Perhaps they should
have used a much thicker "soup" and filmed the scene with the actor upside
down.

I seem to recall reading in "The Making of 2001" (by Agee??) that fans were
used in the moon landing scene both to push the dust up and to drop it down
so it would nearly follow the parabolic paths which particles on an airless
planet would.  In comparing that scene with films of actual Apollo moon
landings, I honestly believe that the former shows only minutely more
billowing of dust than the latter.  I think they did a fine job with this
scene.  Again, the "error" is one of degree, not quality.

And if you're looking for more "errors" you can forget the momentary exposure
of an unhelmeted astronaut to space.  Clarke covered his ass on that one.
I think it's a great movie.  It did not portray the future to be dull.
Rather, Clarke and Kubrick selected inane dialogue to emphasize the
"personality" of HAL.  How can the discovery that we are truly not alone be
considered dull?

I do like the (unforseeable, at the time) incongruity of the old Bell System
logo in the space station.  What if Pan Am folds or gets a new logo?

--
		Roger Noe		...ihnp4!ihlts!rjnoe

mike@hpfclk.UUCP (10/14/83)

#R:ihuxq:-34200:hpfclk:7600002:000:605
hpfclk!mike    Oct 12 09:32:00 1983

  Here's another technical error for you.  The scene where Dave Bowman must
  endure the vacuum of space while transferring from the pod to the Discovery.
  (He forgot his helmet, remember.)  It appeared that he had no problem
  surviving the vacuum for some 5 to 10 seconds which I find impossible.
  When there was no pressure, there was nothing to keep the liquids of his
  body from immediate vaporization (boiling).  He should of been dead in
  the first second.  Space is cold and empty, and we are not well adapted
  to 0 pressure.

					    Michael Bishop
					    {hpfcla!hpfclk!mike}

speaker@umcp-cs.UUCP (10/16/83)

Newsgroups: net.movies
Subject: Re: re: 2001 - (nf)

	  Here's another technical error for you.  The scene where Dave Bowman must
	  endure the vacuum of space while transferring from the pod to the Discovery.
	  (He forgot his helmet, remember.)  It appeared that he had no problem
	  surviving the vacuum for some 5 to 10 seconds which I find impossible.
	  When there was no pressure, there was nothing to keep the liquids of his
	  body from immediate vaporization (boiling).  He should of been dead in
	  the first second.  Space is cold and empty, and we are not well adapted
	  to 0 pressure.

This was the subject of much debate about a year ago on the net.  I dearly
hope we don't start into it again...

According to Clarke, you can withstand a vacum for about 30 seconds.
I think a NASA study on the subject came up with a similar number.

AT any rate, he would NOT have died the first second.  It takes a while
for someone's fluids to ''boil''... unless the fluids are exposed to a raw
vacum, why SHOULD they?

His eardrums might have burst though.  He had his eyes closed so he was
covered there.

I think the real flaw in this scene is the rock steadyness of the space pod.
Remember Newton's laws?  I guess Kubrick didn't.  The pod should have been
blown away from Discovery.  Or did the pod's hands have a good grip on
the situation (ACK)?
--

					- Speaker
					speaker@umcp-cs

alan@apollo.UUCP (Alan Lehotsky) (10/17/83)

Regarding why Dave Bowman's "precious bodily fluids" (my quotes, not yrs.)
didn't boil away immediately.... Well, for one thing, he happened to have
his skin on, so there certainly was pressure on the fluids.  There is a
lot of available research on this very issue.  I remember seeing somewhere
(ANALOG?) a description of a skin-tight space suit which only acted as
"support-hose" for the entire body.  For the original justification of this,
you should go read a short story Clarke wrote which first suggested the
idea.  It turns out the biggest problem is to exhale as much as possible
before exposing yourself to vacuum - otherwise, you can damage your lungs
(sort of like popping a balloon, I would imagine.)

rjnoe@ihlts.UUCP (Roger Noe) (10/17/83)

First of all, I think the time Dave spent in the open emergency airlock is
frequently exaggerated.  (Have you ever noticed how people tend to hold
their breaths during this scene?)  I think it was no more than 5 seconds,
perhaps as little as 3.  Secondly, he was not in a total vacuum.  Much of
the air in the pod would have been blasted into the airlock when the
explosive bolts on the pod door blew.  For the same reason he was not in
absolute zero.  Thirdly, where do you get the idea that boiling of bodily
fluids (interesting . . . didn't Kubrick direct a film whose main conflict
started because of one man's obsession with our precious bodily fluids?  Yes,
Dr. Strangelove)  is instantaneous?  As Clarke states, it takes some time
for this to happen to these well-protected systems.  I refer you also
to Agel's "Making of 2001".  And I wish people would stop mentioning the
HAL/IBM coincidence.  Let's take Clarke's word for it that he didn't
realize it until someone mentioned it well after release.  IBM hasn't even
got a plant in Urbana-Champaign, has it?
--
		Roger Noe		...ihnp4!ihlts!rjnoe

ken@ihuxq.UUCP (ken perlow) (10/17/83)

that scene of about 15 secs in a hard vacuum was clarke's personal signature
on 2001.  he wrote a story in which a space station worker leaps to safety
through a few feet of hard vacuum and suffers only a bad sunburn from the
experience.  certainly others will follow up with the title.  obviously,
most of the story is devoted to this guy's thoughts about whether such a leap
is survivable, & the conclusion that it would take a good minute to boil.
--

ken perlow
..ihnp4!ihuxq!ken

alle@ihuxb.UUCP (Allen England) (10/17/83)

    > Here's another technical error for you.  The scene where Dave Bowman must
    > endure the vacuum of space while transferring from the pod to the Discovery.
    > (He forgot his helmet, remember.)  It appeared that he had no problem
    > surviving the vacuum for some 5 to 10 seconds which I find impossible.
    > When there was no pressure, there was nothing to keep the liquids of his
    > body from immediate vaporization (boiling).  He should of been dead in
    > the first second.  Space is cold and empty, and we are not well adapted
    > to 0 pressure.

I believe it is indeed possible to endure the vacuum of space a brief
interval (less than 20 seconds).  Can someone verify this??

Clarke is normally pretty good at checking technical details in
his stories and I remember seeing this particular phenomena explained
previously.

Allen England at AT&T Bell Laboratories, Naperville, IL
ihnp4!ihuxb!alle

tjt@kobold.UUCP (T.J.Teixeira) (10/18/83)

I hope I'm as facile with the 'n' key as anyone, but it seems as though
it may be time to start up net.movies.2001 as a sibling to starwars and
startrek.