[comp.sys.att] gdb on 3b1 up and running

rrr@naucse.UUCP (Bob Rose ) (08/10/88)

Well, after a few late nights of hacking I have gotten
gdb (that's the gnu debugger) up and running on my 3b1 (v3.51)
The diffs are good size (but nothing is to big for the net 8*)
and real ugly (I was not a happy camper when I did some of it.)

The question is how many of you can get gdb from version 18.50
of emacs. (Why does he ship it out packed inside of emacs???)
How many of you what the diff's, any objections to posting them
compressed and uuencoded (it saves about 25%)??
                          -bob

BTW there are some bugs but I can pinpoint you where to start looking.

james@bigtex.uucp (James Van Artsdalen) (08/11/88)

In article <833@naucse.UUCP>, rrr@naucse.UUCP (Bob Rose ) wrote:
> How many of you what the diff's, any objections to posting them
> compressed and uuencoded (it saves about 25%)??

Yes, I object to compressing & uuencoding!  It doesn't save any space
where it counts: it takes *more* space.  News transfer between
machines is almost universally compressed (big exception is nntp).  If
you compress & uuencode something you post, particularly if it is
text, you'll take up about 25% or more space (try it out - compress
is better than compress|uuencode|compress).
--
James R. Van Artsdalen    ...!uunet!utastro!bigtex!james     "Live Free or Die"
Home: 512-346-2444 Work: 328-0282; 110 Wild Basin Rd. Ste #230, Austin TX 78746

wilkes@mips.COM (John Wilkes) (08/12/88)

In article <5171@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> loci@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (loci!clb) writes:
>	Also, since the gnu stuff always makes the stats for
>	least popular groups, are you sure anyone cares?

Do you refer to the gnu.* groups on Usenet?  I think that's a separate issue.

>	Assuming that people do care (about gnu), please tell me why.
>	I'm curious to know what attracts users to it.

Yes, I care about GNU.  First of all, I began using the emacs editor when
it was Teco-based and ran only on PDP-10's.  At this point in my life, I am
too set in my ways to use anything else.  Of course, choice of editor is a
very personal (and religious for some) decision.

As for the specific case of gcc and gdb on 3B1 machines, I don't think that
AT&T is going to be putting much effort into cc and sdb for us, do you?  I
suspect that the gnu compiler and debugger will be much better supported.
I'd wager that there are an order of magnitude more people working on gcc
and gdb than there are working on the 3B1 versions of cc and sdb.  I have
seen suggestions that gcc generates better code than the pcc-based C
compiler supplied by AT&T for the 3B1 (admitedly not hard to do).  Also, I
have not heard anything about c++ being available on the 3B1, but we will
be able to get g++.  And it will cost much less than equivilent software
from AT&T ;-).  AT&T did not give me the source code for cc and sdb on my
3B1; source for gcc/gdb is readily available.  For free.  I don't know what
I'd do with the source, but maybe I can learn something from it.  I like
having it available.  At the very least, I can apply patches as they come
out and stay current.

Finally, I am in general agreement with Richard Stallman's philosophy
regarding software, and it makes me feel good to use stuff from FSF.  But I
digress into religious topics.

These newsgroups are no longer appropriate for this discussion, where
should it go?  away? ;-) ;-)

--
-- work: {decwrl ames pyramid prls}!mips!wilkes  -OR-  wilkes@mips.com

gmark@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Stewart) (08/12/88)

In article <833@naucse.UUCP>, rrr@naucse.UUCP (Bob Rose ) writes:
> Well, after a few late nights of hacking I have gotten
> gdb (that's the gnu debugger) up and running on my 3b1 (v3.51)

 Hey, what's good about the gnu debugger?  How's it compare to that
 sdb?  I've been looking for a nice debugger with more features than
 that.  Thanks for ANY info.!

				- Mark

				G. Mark Stewart
				ATT_BTL, Naperville, Ill. ix1g266
				ixlpq!gms (312)979-0914
				(include phone if response desired)

james@bigtex.uucp (James Van Artsdalen) (08/12/88)

In article <5171@killer.DALLAS.TX.US>, loci@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (loci!clb) said:
> 	Also, since the gnu stuff always makes the stats for
> 	least popular groups, are you sure anyone cares?

The gnu groups are in a separate toplevel name grouping: gnu.gcc,
gnu.emacs, gnu.g++ (C++) and so forth.  That means they don't
propogate across most groups where people only list the Magnificant
Seven groups (comp, news, misc, sci, rec, soc, talk) and sometimes
alt.  Lastly, the groups tend to carry rather technical things like
pathes to the compiler and so forth, which practically by definition
isn't of general interest.

> 	Assuming that people do care (about gnu), please tell me why.
> 	I'm curious to know what attracts users to it.

Well, GNU C generates significantly better code than PCC.  And if
you're so inclined, you've got source and can add peephole
optimizations or other improvements.  And you can use it as a cross
compiler (ever look at prices for commercial cross compilers?).  It is
a truly ANSI C, whereas PCC isn't even close.  This last point is most
telling for some people.  And the GNU people have C++ running, which
just isn't available yet on most machines.

And finally, you generally get better support from the GNU people *iff*
you can send in reasonable bug reports.  I've never even seriously
considered tracking down who in AT&T to report PCC bugs to.
--

andys@genesis.ATT.COM (a.b.sherman) (08/14/88)

In article <5918@bigtex.uucp> james@bigtex.UUCP (James Van Artsdalen) writes:

>And finally, you generally get better support from the GNU people *iff*
>you can send in reasonable bug reports.  I've never even seriously
>considered tracking down who in AT&T to report PCC bugs to.

Compiler bugs (and other bugs in the UNIX(R) Operating System) may
be reported to a hotline number.  (I'm at home and don't have the
number handy).  Note that you are only entitled to hotline support
if you are not the registered owner of an appropriate software
license.  Like Stallman, we support our software.  From the traffic
I've seen on the net, folks who have actually *bothered* to call for
support (rather than just complain about how bad it is) have
received fairly prompt attention.

Unlike Stallman, we do not believe that it is evil to charge money
for the fruits of our R&D.  The money that pays my salary comes from
stockholders.  They have a right to expect that the company will
recover their investment in product development by *selling*
products at a *profit*.  (Oh horrors, profit.  What next, vivisection?)

AT&T R&D used to be given away for free, (as in the transistor, the
laser, etc.) but divestiture changed all that.
--
(By the way, UNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T.  Telling you
that keeps the lawyers happy :-) )

gmark@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Stewart) (08/15/88)

In article <2770@electron.mips.COM>, wilkes@mips.COM (John Wilkes) writes:
> As for the specific case of gcc and gdb on 3B1 machines, I don't think that
> AT&T is going to be putting much effort into cc and sdb for us, do you?  I
> suspect that the gnu compiler and debugger will be much better supported.
> having it available.  At the very least, I can apply patches as they come
> out and stay current.

I just got info from Mike Bloom (thanks, Mike) lauding gdb.  Now,
the question is, how do I get it, and can I use it just like I now
do cc and sdb?  Thanks in advance!

				- Mark

				G. Mark Stewart
				ATT_BTL, Naperville, Ill. ix1g266
				ixlpq!gms (312)979-0914
				(please include phone for response)

james@bigtex.uucp (James Van Artsdalen) (08/15/88)

In article <472@genesis.ATT.COM>, andys@genesis.ATT.COM (59228-a.b.sherman) wrote:
> In article <5918@bigtex.uucp> james@bigtex.UUCP (James Van Artsdalen) writes:

| And finally, you generally get better support from the GNU people *iff*
| you can send in reasonable bug reports.  I've never even seriously
| considered tracking down who in AT&T to report PCC bugs to.

> Compiler bugs (and other bugs in the UNIX(R) Operating System) may
> be reported to a hotline number.  (I'm at home and don't have the
> number handy).  Note that you are only entitled to hotline support

I don't own a Unix-PC at the moment.  The bugs I had in mind are in the
PCC for uPort/386.  In principle it should make no difference I would
think, but I doubt that a generic SysV binary license is what your
hotline people want.  I do think it weird that they don't take bugs
from all comers: any serious bug fixing effort would.

BTW: RMS's turn-around time on gcc bugs for me in the last week has
been about 12 hours.  Probably atypical since the 386 gcc support
was just released, but it's still vastly better than the last AT&T
I ever dealt with much, 3b2 support.

> Unlike Stallman, we do not believe that it is evil to charge money
> for the fruits of our R&D.  [...]

I agree that Stallman is something of a nut (albeit a very good and
prolific nut).  As a software developer, I don't think his schemes
would ever work on a large scale.  But that doesn't slow me down from
using the results of his efforts!
--

slocum@hi-csc.UUCP (Brett Slocum) (08/17/88)

In article <472@genesis.ATT.COM> andys@genesis.ATT.COM (59228-a.b.sherman) writes:
>AT&T R&D used to be given away for free, (as in the transistor, the
>laser, etc.) but divestiture changed all that.

Excuse me, but that changed long before divestiture.  And I bet you still
publish your R&D in the technical journals, conference proceedings, etc.
Besides, AT&T wanted divestiture, since it removed the limitations put
on them w.r.t. non-telephone related business.

All in all, divestiture has been good for AT&T and not-so-good for
the public.  And now I see that the old AT&T is starting to get back
together: four of the seven mini-Bells (Northwestern, Pacific, Mountain, etc.)
are merging into US West Communications.  Apparently, some 2 year limitation
was imposed by the divestiture, which has now expired.  How long will
it take before good old Ma Bell is back as one big happy family?

--
Brett Slocum   UUCP: ...uunet!hi-csc!slocum
               Arpa: hi-csc!slocum@umn-cs.arpa