[comp.sys.att] thanks & wrastop

aaron@proxftl.UUCP (Aaron Zimmerman) (08/09/88)

Well, I should thank you all... I had some problems getting my 3b1 doing what
it's supposed to, on account of a lack of documentation, and I'm now running
okay.. It is a drag, though, that there's no way of starting up the machine if
the /etc/rc file is screwed and you don't have the floppies (which was my
case, though that's now rectified).

Still lacking documentation, I've been able to learn nearly everything I need-
ed from extensive experimentation. There is, however, one command which I must
use... The wrastop() command. I'm told it takes seven or so arguments???
I need to be able to get graphics on the screen...somehow... However it's
done, I'm willing to do it. I believe that the 'window' system is supposed to
be fairly straightforward, but, not knowing even the arguments to the
command which puts a bitmap onto the screen (wrastop), I haven't much hope.
If someone would be willing to give me a description, sell me some manual
pages, show me the source code to a program which does graphics, *anything*,
I'd be forever in debt.

Also I'm curious on how to change the system font (I think I remember hearing
that it's possible?) Damn, I really need those manuals...

Oh, yes - one last thing... Where can I get memory expansion? I could really
go for another two megs!

-aaron

__   |  Aaron      |  Proximity Technology  |  #include <disclaimer.h>  |
     |  Charles    |   3511 N-E 22nd Ave.   |  #include <cute_quote.h>  |
__   |  Zimmerman  |    Fort Ladeda, Fla    |  cat flames > /dev/null   |

jr@amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) (08/22/88)

In article <565@proxftl.UUCP> aaron@proxftl.UUCP (Aaron Zimmerman) writes:
>Also I'm curious on how to change the system font (I think I remember hearing
>that it's possible?) Damn, I really need those manuals...

The system font is determined by whatever font you load into slot 0 during the
boot sequence; look in the file /etc/.fontload.  In mine I've got:

sfont -s /usr/lib/wfont/8x9 0
# sfont -s /usr/lib/wfont/PLAIN.R.E.12.A 0
# sfont -s /usr/lib/wfont/FANCY.R.E.12.A 2

Note that the 0 is the slot number.  To change to another font as your boot
font, put whatever font you'd like in slot 0.  There's *one* catch!  The cursor
will be the size of the largest loaded font.  If your current font is smaller
than this, backspace works miserably, leaving all kinds of pixel crumbs and
generally messing up the line.

Until /etc/rc executes /etc/.fontload the choice of PLAIN.R.E.12.A seems to be
in ROM somewhere -- probably the font is in ROM too.  I get the results of fsck
in that font, not 8x9.
--
 Jim Rosenberg
     CIS: 71515,124                         decvax!idis! \

gmark@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Stewart) (08/23/88)

In article <303@amanue.UUCP>, jr@amanue.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) writes:
> In article <565@proxftl.UUCP> aaron@proxftl.UUCP (Aaron Zimmerman) writes:
> font, put whatever font you'd like in slot 0.  There's *one* catch!  The cursor
> will be the size of the largest loaded font.  If your current font is smaller
> than this, backspace works miserably, leaving all kinds of pixel crumbs and
> generally messing up the line.

Does anyone know of a fix for this?  Can you fake out the machine to
think the largest font is the size of the current one?  Or must you
reboot or something with a font loaded?  Thanks in advance.

				- Mark

				G. Mark Stewart
				ATT_BTL, Naperville, Ill. ix1g266
				ixlpq!gms (312)979-0914