[comp.sys.att] ****New AT&T Device Driver Manuals available***

friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) (08/18/88)

Hi net.folks,

     AT&T has released a replacement for the old _3B2 Device
Driver Manual_, and it is really wonderful.  This two-volume
set is very well written, extremely comprehensive, and generally
pretty great.  They are for System V Release 3, and while they
include lots of info specific to the 3B2 family, I believe they
are generally helpful for other Sys V machines as well.

Combined size is about 2.5 inches, and is available from AT&T;
here is the ordering info:

    UNIX System V, Release 3 Block and Character Interface (BCI)

    307-191 Driver Development Guide (very good, 1.75" thick)
    307-192 Driver Reference Manual  (more terse but comprehensive)

     The better news is that the pricing is "low" on these
items due to what must be a bug in the system.  The pair is
a little under $8, postpaid, so I'd jump on this quickly if
I were you before the price goes up (I have *my* four sets).

     Call the AT&T Customer Information Center (CIC) at:

	USA	+1 800 432 6600
	Canada	+1 800 255 1242
	Other	+1 317 352 8556

     They take Visa, MasterCard, Amex, and probably a company
purchase order if it's over some amount ($50, I think).  Service
is via U.S. Mail and is a little under 2 weeks.

     Note: these are still first draft, and they plan on adding
new parts (SCSI, etc.) later, but this draft is very good.  Go
for it.

     Steve

P.S. - These would make great Christmas gifts to that little
       UNIX wizard in your life :-)
--
Steve Friedl    V-Systems, Inc.  +1 714 545 6442    3B2-kind-of-guy
friedl@vsi.com     {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl    attmail!vsi!friedl

friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) (08/23/88)

In article <799@vsi.UUCP>, friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^___ that's me
> Hi net.folks,
>
>      AT&T has released a replacement for the old _3B2 Device
> Driver Manual_, and it is really wonderful.
> [bug in system, less than $4 each]

Folks, sorry about this, but AT&T has apparently caught the low
price and set them to "proper" values.  The word is that the new
prices are $86 for the large volume, $40 for the small one.  I
wonder how many of you got your orders in before the increase...

      Steve

--
---------Nancy Reagan on the Three Stooges: "Just say Moe"---------

gmark@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Stewart) (08/24/88)

In article <818@vsi.UUCP>, friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
> In article <799@vsi.UUCP>, friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
>                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^___ that's me
> > Hi net.folks,
> >
> >      AT&T has released a replacement for the old _3B2 Device
> > Driver Manual_, and it is really wonderful.
> > [bug in system, less than $4 each]
>
> Folks, sorry about this, but AT&T has apparently caught the low
> price and set them to "proper" values.  The word is that the new
> prices are $86 for the large volume, $40 for the small one.  I

Let me be irrational and primitive about this.  Let me say that
I resent being teased by little deals like this.  Let me say that
I wonder how many toyed-with customers it would take to find the
idiot that does little pricing jokes like this -- like the kind of
person that sets technical information pricing (like the kind you
would need to, say, provide an enhancement or service that might
keep a product alive) at an outrageous level (like $900 dollars
a manual -- no exaggeration) -- and remove precious parts of his
or her body.  Just a (aggravated to the extreme) thought.

						- GMS

pete@tutor.UUCP (Peter Schmitt) (08/24/88)

In article <818@vsi.UUCP>, friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
> Folks, sorry about this, but AT&T has apparently caught the low
> price and set them to "proper" values.  The word is that the new
> prices are $86 for the large volume, $40 for the small one.  I
> wonder how many of you got your orders in before the increase...

I did, both cost about 7.80 and they're great resources

Pete

daveb@laidbak.UUCP (Dave Burton) (08/24/88)

Steve Friedl (friedl@vsi.UUCP) writes:
|>      AT&T has released a replacement for the old _3B2 Device
|> Driver Manual_, and it is really wonderful.
|> [bug in system, less than $4 each]
|Folks, sorry about this, but AT&T has apparently caught the low
|price and set them to "proper" values.  The word is that the new
|prices are $86 for the large volume, $40 for the small one.  I
|wonder how many of you got your orders in before the increase...

I did! Steve: ThankyouThankyouThankyou!
I didn't get a receipt with them, although the sales rep
told me the total was $7.53, including postage. Such a deal.
I haven't had a chance to look at them yet, but at 8 bucks,
you can hardly go wrong. And now that the price went up to
$126 ...
--
Dave Burton		| ``/* You are not expected to understand this. */''
{att,sun}!laidbak!daveb	|