[comp.sys.att] Help needed restoring UNIX-PC

budd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Philip Budne) (09/07/88)

I have come upon a junked UNIX PC (particulars below).  The machine
was trashed because of presumed disk failure (grounding strap noise
from the HD?)

I would appreciate any advice on restoring it or using the parts to
build something else (know of any good 68020/bitmap/HD boards?).  What
I would like is a multitasking PC which runs GNU Emacs and uucp.

Thanks!
	Phil Budne, Boston University

================

Bottom of case;
	PC7300 s/n 370429020 00160B

I have;
	Case, power supply, monitor, kbd, mouse, fans,
	PALS (sockets 25B, 24H), mother board;

	Top of Board (rear left)
		S4 CPU
		PCA D-60-00 222 REV M140 (sticker: PCT 3141)
		(c) 1984

	Bottom of Board (rear left);
		Diceon 3 MC 94V-0
		D-43-00222-00 Rev A (in box:) 1185

	Socketed chips (need placements);
	ROMS "72-00617" and "72-00616"
	40 Pin chip:
		Vli 507VR 6286
		VC2513
		32-00381-00
		MEXICO A

Missing;
	Hard disk drive, floppy disk drive,
		Acceptible replacemements?
	Cables for disks.
	All s/w and doc was discarded.

	Empty 40 pin sockets;
	22H 22E 21H 17C 2K

	Empty CPU socket (64 pin)
		68010?  What speed?

	Additional memory board.

Damaged;
	relay K5 (part no? DS1E-M??)

==

Q: Is 3b1 just another name for PC7300/UNIX-PC?

Q: What does it mean when people say they are running OS version 3.51
	is this S5R1? R2? R3?

Q: Is purchasing the chips on qty 1 going to be prohibative?
	are any of them custom?

Q: Would the platform run 'X'? Or is the window system reasonable?

lenny@icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) (09/10/88)

In article <24769@bu-cs.BU.EDU> budd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Philip Budne) writes:
[...]
|>I would appreciate any advice on restoring it or using the parts to
|>build something else (know of any good 68020/bitmap/HD boards?).  What
|>I would like is a multitasking PC which runs GNU Emacs and uucp.

[...]
|>Missing;
|>	Hard disk drive, floppy disk drive,
|>		Acceptible replacemements?

Since you are talking about the PC7300, I presume you have the case that
only can hold the half-height drives.  In that case you would be constrained
to something of that size.  I've seen hard drives up to 76MB in 1/2 height
using the MFM recording format.  Seagate ST251 (40Mb) drive would be an
acceptable replacement.  Anything less than 40Mb is tight for a development
environment.

Any 5.25" 360K floppy drive would be acceptable, assuming the strap settings
were set correctly.  The drive inside the UNIX PC I believe is made by Teac.
There has been some success with using a 3.5" 800K floppy on the UNIX PC which
will give you extra floppy space.  (Speak to Darren [darren@bacchus]
for further details on this subject)

|>	Cables for disks.

These usually come with the hard drive and/or floppy.

|>	All s/w and doc was discarded.

This can be bought from any AT&T Dealer.

|>	Empty 40 pin sockets;
|>	22H 22E 21H 17C 2K

The chips that are missing are: (From the AT&T UNIX PC Reference Manual)

22H	- DMA Data IC
22E	- DMA Address IC
21H	- WD1010 hard disk controller
17C	- Video IC
2K	- SCM Modem 882A

|>	Empty CPU socket (64 pin)
|>		68010?  What speed?

Yes, 68010 (10Mhz)

|>	Additional memory board.

4164 dynamic RAMs in the PC7300, and 41256-15 (150ns) dynamic RAMs in the 3B1.

|>Damaged;
|>	relay K5 (part no? DS1E-M??)

This is something for phone line 2, possibly for the A-lead, I'm not sure.
(Gil, you listening?)

|>Q: Is 3b1 just another name for PC7300/UNIX-PC?

The 3B1 has the same CPU except it had a bigger case (to satisfy the full
height drives), and possible a different power supply.  The PC7300 came
with less on board memory, and I believe couldn't be expanded as high
as 4MB (unlike the 3B1).

|>Q: What does it mean when people say they are running OS version 3.51
|>	is this S5R1? R2? R3?

The 3.51 release is the release number for the AT&T UNIX PC operating system.
It has *nothing* to do with System V release 3.XXX.    The UNIX PC Operating
system is somewhere around System V release 2 (SVR2), it has some Bezerkley
enhancements (BSD), plus somethings that are not up to the SVR2 and are
still lagging behind at SVR1.

|>Q: Is purchasing the chips on qty 1 going to be prohibative?
|>	are any of them custom?

Doubt it sincerely.  It probably would be cheaper by an entire *new* machine.
Most of the chips are custom, except of course for the 68010 CPU that you
are missing.

|>Q: Would the platform run 'X'? Or is the window system reasonable?

It doesn't run X-windows, and I doubt it ever will. ;-)

-Lenny
--
Paper-net: Lenny Tropiano          | @-net:         lenny@icus.islp.ny.us
           ICUS Software Systems   | !-net:      ...sbcs   \

jmd@swbatl.UUCP (0804 M110) (09/13/88)

In article <24769@bu-cs.BU.EDU> budd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Philip Budne) writes:
>I have come upon a junked UNIX PC (particulars below).  The machine
>was trashed because of presumed disk failure (grounding strap noise
>from the HD?)
>
>I would appreciate any advice on restoring it or using the parts to
>build something else (know of any good 68020/bitmap/HD boards?).  What
>I would like is a multitasking PC which runs GNU Emacs and uucp.
>
>Thanks!
>	Phil Budne, Boston University
>
>================
>
>Bottom of case;
>	PC7300 s/n 370429020 00160B
>
>I have;
>	Case, power supply, monitor, kbd, mouse, fans,
>	PALS (sockets 25B, 24H), mother board;
>
>	Top of Board (rear left)
>		S4 CPU
>		PCA D-60-00 222 REV M140 (sticker: PCT 3141)
>		(c) 1984
>
>	Bottom of Board (rear left);
>		Diceon 3 MC 94V-0
>		D-43-00222-00 Rev A (in box:) 1185
>
>	Socketed chips (need placements);
>	ROMS "72-00617" and "72-00616"
>	40 Pin chip:
>		Vli 507VR 6286
>		VC2513
>		32-00381-00
>		MEXICO A
>
>Missing;
>	Hard disk drive, floppy disk drive,
>		Acceptible replacemements?
>	Cables for disks.
>	All s/w and doc was discarded.
>
>	Empty 40 pin sockets;
>	22H 22E 21H 17C 2K
>
>	Empty CPU socket (64 pin)
>		68010?  What speed?
>
>	Additional memory board.
>
>Damaged;
>	relay K5 (part no? DS1E-M??)
>
>==
>
>Q: Is 3b1 just another name for PC7300/UNIX-PC?

	Yes , it has the same cpu and runs the same software the
	main difference is that the 3b1 has more memory (usually 2m)
	and a larger disk drive.(usually 67m)

>Q: What does it mean when people say they are running OS version 3.51
>	is this S5R1? R2? R3?
	This is system V ver 3.51

>Q: Is purchasing the chips on qty 1 going to be prohibative?
>	are any of them custom?
>
>Q: Would the platform run 'X'? Or is the window system reasonable?
	yes.

	As far as some of your hardware questions go, I can't answer
	however the disk drive replacement question can be .

	There are several authorized drives for the 7300, one caution
	though is that the controller determines the density not the
	type of drive, on the 7300 this is located on the mother board
	I believe ? (not sure) my brother in KC has replaced his 20m
	with a 40 m.

	later....
James M Doherty  - SWBT - Advanced Technology Planning
1010 Pine St. - Room M110 - St. Louis. MO. 63101.
UUCP: { pyramid, ihnp4, bellcore }...!atlpyr!jmd
PHON: 314-235-0804 FAX: 314-235-xxxx