[comp.sys.att] Is there any replacement for the FloppyTape drive on the 3B1?

lenny@icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) (09/19/88)

I have a question for the net... I have in my possession a 3B1 tape
controller board and the driver software.  My question is can I get
a tape drive that is similar in operation to the 3B1's to use
this controller board.  Of course I can call the AT&T part's department
and spend mucho $$$ for the tape subassembly, but I rather not do that.

I know the tape drive is made by Cipher, in fact it is the Model 525.
I've called them, and they nicely supplied me with the specs, but said
that tape drive is been out of production for a while.  I never pursued
it further, but I was thinking about it these days.

Are any of the IBM Compatible tape drives that use the floppy controller
(namely the WD2797) possible candidates?   If they perhaps are compatible,
are they cable compatible as well?

Thanks,
Lenny
--
Paper-net: Lenny Tropiano          | @-net:         lenny@icus.islp.ny.us
           ICUS Software Systems   | !-net:      ...sbcs   \

mark@gizzmo.UUCP (mark hilliard) (09/19/88)

In article <495@icus.islp.ny.us> lenny@icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>I have a question for the net... I have in my possession a 3B1 tape
>controller board and the driver software.  My question is can I get
>a tape drive that is similar in operation to the 3B1's?

Yes, you can find a Cipher drive at numerous surplus dealers.  The Cipher
drive IS the ATT drive.  They are even in the same case.  I have seen
them for as low as $100.00.

Good luck

--
Mark Hilliard                            {ethos,fthood,u1100a}-----\
   N2HHR                                rutgers!rochester!kodak!pcid!gizzmo!mark

stevens@hsi.UUCP (Richard Stevens) (09/19/88)

In article <358@gizzmo.UUCP>, mark@gizzmo.UUCP (mark hilliard) writes:

> Yes, you can find a Cipher drive at numerous surplus dealers.  The Cipher
> drive IS the ATT drive.  They are even in the same case.  I have seen
> them for as low as $100.00.

OK, if we can probably find a surplus drive somewhere, any ideas
from anyone on how to get the controller and driver for a
reasonable price ??

	Richard Stevens
	Health Systems International, New Haven, CT
	   stevens@hsi.uu.net
           ... { uunet | yale } ! hsi ! stevens

darren@bacchus.UUCP (Darren Friedlein) (09/20/88)

In article <358@gizzmo.UUCP> mark@gizzmo.UUCP (mark hilliard) writes:
>In article <495@icus.islp.ny.us> lenny@icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>>I have a question for the net... I have in my possession a 3B1 tape
>>controller board and the driver software.  My question is can I get
>>a tape drive that is similar in operation to the 3B1's?
>

>Yes, you can find a Cipher drive at numerous surplus dealers.  The Cipher
>drive IS the ATT drive.  They are even in the same case.  I have seen
>them for as low as $100.00.

Since the tape drive runs off a floppy interface, would anyone be
willing to write a tape driver to run a tape drive off /dev/rfp020?
(hint, hint, Lenny :-)  Also - can it be made to run a >20M tape
drive (like 40 or 60?)

This could be asking the imposible, but I'm not sure what's involved
in writing such a driver.  We sell several 1/2 ht floppy (DC600?) tape
drives where I work (brand names: Archive and Mountain) and they come
with nice documentation which should make deciphering the interface
easier.

What's the probability?

-darren
         ____
        /    \
       |                                 Rt 4, Box 416, Durham, NC 27703
  _____|_____     Darren G. Friedlein      data (bacchus) : 919/596-7746
 /     |     \                                      voice : 919/596-9492
(      |      )
 \____/    __/   {mcnc|icus|ditka|ethos|gladys|bakerst}!bacchus!darren

jbm@uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) (09/21/88)

In article <688@bacchus.UUCP> darren@bacchus.UUCP (Darren Friedlein) writes:
>In article <358@gizzmo.UUCP> mark@gizzmo.UUCP (mark hilliard) writes:
>>In article <495@icus.islp.ny.us> lenny@icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>This could be asking the imposible, but I'm not sure what's involved
>in writing such a driver.  We sell several 1/2 ht floppy (DC600?) tape
>drives where I work (brand names: Archive and Mountain) and they come
>with nice documentation which should make deciphering the interface
>easier.
>
>What's the probability?

Very good, how about you GIVE me a drive and I'll write the driver? I have
written a couple other WD FDC drivers, so this should not be much different.
I also have a second machine dedicated to hardware developement. I have a
copy of the Reference manual in case there is weirdness connectting the drive.

John
--
John Bly Milton IV, jbm@uncle.UUCP, n8emr!uncle!jbm@osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu
home: (614) 294-4823, work: (614) 459-7641; CP/M to MP/M, MS-DOS to OS/2

lenny@icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) (09/22/88)

In article <688@bacchus.UUCP> darren@bacchus.UUCP (Darren Friedlein) writes:
|>In article <358@gizzmo.UUCP> mark@gizzmo.UUCP (mark hilliard) writes:
|>>In article <495@icus.islp.ny.us> lenny@icus.islp.ny.us, I write:
|>>

|>>Yes, you can find a Cipher drive at numerous surplus dealers.  The Cipher
|>>drive IS the ATT drive.  They are even in the same case.  I have seen
|>>them for as low as $100.00.
|>
|>Since the tape drive runs off a floppy interface, would anyone be
|>willing to write a tape driver to run a tape drive off /dev/rfp020?
|>(hint, hint, Lenny :-)  Also - can it be made to run a >20M tape
|>drive (like 40 or 60?)

This has been discussed a couple of times, and nothing has really ever
come of it.  The big problem I see is "timing".  I/O on the UNIX PC really
kills the machine, and since the tapes that use floppy interfaces have
to be "formatted" (to simulate a floppy diskette) the machine would have
to be shutdown completely (like it's done for the FloppyTape drive sold
right now), to insure proper no multi-user interference.

I'm not sure how these FloppyTape units for the IBM's actually work, but
it might be possible to hook one up, and just give normal floppy (WD2797
controller) commands to the drive.  (ie. use the "iv(1M)" command to format,
cpio to /dev/rfp021 to backup).  All the tape controller board for the 3B1
has on it is another WD2797 floppy controller, and some IC's for DMA
transfer to the UNIX PC...

The second thing which makes it "not worth all the trouble" is first having
to buy the tape drive that you "might not be able to get to work anyhow".
With the possibility of SCSI compatibility in the near future, one could add
a SCSI tape drive (>120MB if you want) and multiple hard drives, without
much hassle.

|>This could be asking the imposible, but I'm not sure what's involved
|>in writing such a driver.  We sell several 1/2 ht floppy (DC600?) tape
|>drives where I work (brand names: Archive and Mountain) and they come
|>with nice documentation which should make deciphering the interface
|>easier.

If you are willing to get us one for *free* :-)  ICUS will try to play
around with it!

-Lenny
--

mml@magnus.UUCP (Mike Levin) (09/22/88)

In article <358@gizzmo.UUCP> mark@gizzmo.UUCP (mark hilliard) writes:

>Yes, you can find a Cipher drive at numerous surplus dealers.  The Cipher
>drive IS the ATT drive.  They are even in the same case.  I have seen
>them for as low as $100.00.
                                         #####   #####   #####
 #    #  #    #  ######  #####   ###### #     # #     # #     #
 #    #  #    #  #       #    #  #            #       #       #
 #    #  ######  #####   #    #  #####     ###     ###     ###
 # ## #  #    #  #       #####   #         #       #       #
 ##  ##  #    #  #       #   #   #
 #    #  #    #  ######  #    #  ######    #       #       #

I, too, have the controller card and the driver software, but am missing
the actual tape mechanism.  If you are aware of somebody who has these,
could you please post the name/address.

					Thankyou,

--
+---+  P L E A S E    R E S P O N D   T O: +---+  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *
+----------------------------------------------+------------------------------+

bob@rush.cts.com (Bob Ames) (09/22/88)

In article <164@hsi86.hsi.UUCP>, stevens@hsi.UUCP (Richard Stevens) writes:
> In article <358@gizzmo.UUCP>, mark@gizzmo.UUCP (mark hilliard) writes:
> >
> > Yes, you can find a Cipher drive at numerous surplus dealers.  The Cipher
> > drive IS the ATT drive.  They are even in the same case.  I have seen
> > them for as low as $100.00.
>
> OK, if we can probably find a surplus drive somewhere, any ideas
> from anyone on how to get the controller and driver for a
> reasonable price ??

Yes!  Metro Technologies in Los Angeles, CA can get these parts.

I think we paid around $500-600 each for a few sets so we could just move
around the drive instead of constantly yanking and pushing boards/cables.

Their number is 213-856-6500.  Tell them you heard it from Bob Ames!

Bob Ames
Howard Publications, Inc.   Bell: 619-743-2546   INET: bob@rush.cts.com
UUCP: {rutgers!ucsd, nosc, hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!rush.cts.com!bob
                                       or crash!rush!bob might work...
"We've got Tribbles on the ship, Quintotritacale in the corridors,
and Klingons in the Quadrant!  It can ruin your whole day, Sir!"
- Scotty, "More Tribbles, More Troubles", animated.
terrorist, cryptography, DES, drugs, cipher, secret, decode, NSA, CIA, NRO.
Jim Kelly, ESPN: "At the dock, you don't get a trophy, you get a subpoena!"
"We each pay a fabulous price - for our visions of paradise." - Rush