[comp.sys.att] 3B2/300 vs 310

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (09/25/88)

Briefly, what are the differences between the 3B2/300 and the 3B2/310?

Thanks.

Pete Holsberg                   UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division                   ...!att!jonlab!mccc!pjh
Mercer College			CompuServe: 70240,334
1200 Old Trenton Road           GEnie: PJHOLSBERG
Trenton, NJ 08690               Voice: 1-609-586-4800

rjd@occrsh.ATT.COM (Randy_Davis) (09/27/88)

In article <159@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:

>Briefly, what are the differences between the 3B2/300 and the 3B2/310?

  The primary difference is the speed of the system board.  The model 300
system runs around 8 MHz, and the model 310 runs around 10 MHz (I keep
forgetting the exact numbers - it might even be 8 and 12 MHz).  There might
be other, incidental, differences such as hard disk size and basic serial
ports configuration.

Randy

rwhite@nusdhub.UUCP (Robert C. White Jr.) (09/27/88)

in article <159@mccc.UUCP>, pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) says:

> Briefly, what are the differences between the 3B2/300 and the 3B2/310?

The major difference between a 300 and a 310 is that the 300 did not
use a "regular" cpu chip.  It had a daughter board where the cpu should
should have been.  This board substancially slowed opperation of the
system.  (I think the buss clock had to run slower to accomidate it,
or the logic was too loose, but I don't know for shure)

There was an upgrade from the 300 to the 310.  If you have a 300, get
the upgrade.  If you don't have a 300, don't get one!

Having gotten a peak at a few price/bundling type of stuff;  if you
are going to be using networking (etc.) or you are only going to have
a couple of users, the 6386 machines are MUCH more cost effective.
If you want major disk space, or more users, then the larger numbers
in the 3B family will serve you better.  A 310/310 is a dead end.

Rob.

BAN THE SVR3.2.1 LP SUBSYSTEM!!!!! [until they fix it at least!]
	(for a detailed description about why the new features are
		broken, mail inquires to rwhite@nusdhub.UUCP)

scott@attcan.UUCP (Scott MacQuarrie) (09/27/88)

In article <159@mccc.UUCP>, pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:

> Briefly, what are the differences between the 3B2/300 and the 3B2/310?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Pete Holsberg                   UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
> Technology Division                   ...!att!jonlab!mccc!pjh
> Mercer College			CompuServe: 70240,334
> 1200 Old Trenton Road           GEnie: PJHOLSBERG
> Trenton, NJ 08690               Voice: 1-609-586-4800

The difference is very simple. The first thing is the 3B2/310 is a
direct replacement of the 3B2/300. They look exactly the same from a
physical perspective. The much more important difference is the CPU on
the 300 is an older verion. The 3B2/310 has a WE32100 CPU (That's Western
Electric). This is an upgraded version of the earlier model and is running
at a faster clock rate ( 10 Mhz ). There is an upgrade available for 300 to
allow you to improve to a 3B2/310.

I have a converted 3B2/300 as one of my home machines, so the process is quite
simple to do. My system is now a 3B2/310 running at the 10 Mhz. You may find
it difficult to aquire the upgrade kit in the future, since the 3B2/300 is a
discontinued model, so if you have one of there beasties I would recommend
upgrading as soon as you can.

Scott MacQuarrie
Sr. Technical Consultant
AT&T Canada Inc.
uunet!attcan!scott

p.s. My own opinions..of course

In article <1220@nusdhub.UUCP> rwhite@nusdhub.UUCP (Robert C. White Jr.) writes:
:in article <159@mccc.UUCP>, pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) says:
:>
:> Briefly, what are the differences between the 3B2/300 and the 3B2/310?
:
:The major difference between a 300 and a 310 is that the 300 did not
:use a "regular" cpu chip.  It had a daughter board where the cpu should
:should have been.  This board substancially slowed opperation of the
:system.  (I think the buss clock had to run slower to accomidate it,
:or the logic was too loose, but I don't know for shure)

  Wrong.  Yes, all machines with the hybrid chip are model 300s, but many
model 300's were built with the 32100 chip set, after the new design was
proved in.  The older hybrid chip was the first full 32-bit CPU on the market
(no internal multiplexing of data paths, etc.).  All of the first year or so's
production of model 300's were built with the hybrid chip.  When new and better
designs were available, they were implemented to improve the machine.
  The model 310 was an improvement over the model 300 primarily in the area of
processor speed.  Since the higher processor speed would allow more simultaneous
users, increased disk space would be needed, depending on application, to
accomodate these additional users, so most versions of the 310 have higher
disk capacities, up to a maximum of 72 Megabytes (formatted) from the factory.
  The slower speed of the old model 300 hybrid CPU was due to the fact that
that was as fast as it could run.

:There was an upgrade from the 300 to the 310.  If you have a 300, get
:the upgrade.  If you don't have a 300, don't get one!

BTW: Whether you have an older 190A system module (the one with the hybrid chip)
or the newer ED4C637 board, the upgrade will probably include a new, faster
ED4C637 board with the faster clock speed.

Randy

tgr@picuxa.UUCP (Dr. Emilio Lizardo) (09/28/88)

In article <363@occrsh.ATT.COM> rjd@occrsh.UUCP (Randy_Davis) writes:
:In article <159@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
:>
:>Briefly, what are the differences between the 3B2/300 and the 3B2/310?
:
:  The primary difference is the speed of the system board.  The model 300
:system runs around 8 MHz, and the model 310 runs around 10 MHz (I keep
:forgetting the exact numbers - it might even be 8 and 12 MHz).  There might
:be other, incidental, differences such as hard disk size and basic serial
:ports configuration.
:
:Randy

The 3B2/300 has a Western Electric WE32000 chip and no capability for
installing a Math Accelerator Unit (MAU).  The 3B2/310 uses the faster
WE32100 chip and does have the capability of installing a MAU.  I have
no idea whether the speeds cited above are correct.  Installed disks,
memory, and ports are usually available in several configurations
(package A, package B, etc).

--
Tom Gillespie  ( ...att!picuxa!tgr) | (attmail!tgillespie) (201) 952-1178
AT&T/EDS Product Integration Center  299 Jefferson Rd. Parsippany NJ 07054

"Don't take life so serious ... it ain't nohow permanent."  -- Walt Kelly

hjespersen@trillium.waterloo.edu (Hans Jespersen) (09/28/88)

In article <363@occrsh.ATT.COM> rjd@occrsh.UUCP (Randy_Davis) writes:
>In article <159@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>>
>>Briefly, what are the differences between the 3B2/300 and the 3B2/310?
>
>  The primary difference is the speed of the system board.  The model 300
>system runs around 8 MHz, and the model 310 runs around 10 MHz (I keep
>forgetting the exact numbers - it might even be 8 and 12 MHz).  There might
                                                      ^^^^^^^^^
You were right the first time, it is 10 MHz.

>be other, incidental, differences such as hard disk size and basic serial
>ports configuration.
>
>Randy

The biggest difference is the WE32100 CPU in the 310 is more powerful than
the older WE32000 in the 3B2/300. Also, the 3B2/300 is no longer sold by AT&T
but the 310 is. Support is the issue I'm driving at. I do believe that AT&T
still supports the 300 but it is an important difference. Another important
difference is the operating systems. The most current releases of UNIX for the
3B line (3.2.X) will not run on the 300 but they will run on the 310. I believe
that the lastest OS release for the 300 will not support SCSI peripherals.
All in all, the 3B2/310 is a superior machine (big surprise eh) above and
beyond the gain in clock speed.

Hans Jespersen          UUCP : attcan!{uunet|utgpu}!watmath!trillium!hjespersen
University of Waterloo  USENET  : hjespersen@trillium.waterloo.edu
Waterloo, Ontario       VOICENET: (519)747-1721
                        MAILNET : 20 Dunbar St. N, Waterloo, Ont., N2L 2C7

hjespersen@crocus.waterloo.edu (Brent Faulkner) (09/30/88)

In article <8721@watdragon.waterloo.edu> hjespersen@trillium.waterloo.edu (Hans Jespersen) writes:

>The biggest difference is the WE32100 CPU in the 310 is more powerful than
>the older WE32000 in the 3B2/300. Also, the 3B2/300 is no longer sold by AT&T
>but the 310 is. Support is the issue I'm driving at. I do believe that AT&T
>still supports the 300 but it is an important difference. Another important
>difference is the operating systems. The most current releases of UNIX for the
>that the lastest OS release for the 300 will not support SCSI peripherals.
>All in all, the 3B2/310 is a superior machine (big surprise eh) above and
>beyond the gain in clock speed.

I must apologize for this posting, as some of the information contained
within is incorrect. Apparently the most current release of UNIX for the
3B2 (3.2.X) WILL run on the 3B2/300. In addition, SCSI peripherals can
be supported on the 3B2/300. Sorry for any misconceptions that my posting
may have caused.

Hans Jespersen          UUCP : attcan!{uunet|utgpu}!watmath!trillium!hjespersen
University of Waterloo  USENET  : hjespersen@trillium.waterloo.edu
Waterloo, Ontario       VOICENET: (519)747-1721
                        MAILNET : 20 Dunbar St. N, Waterloo, Ont., N2L 2C7
Brent Faulkner

uucp: hjespersen@crocus.waterloo.edu (Brent Faulkner)

len@netsys.COM (Len Rose) (09/30/88)

Speaking from practical experience I was not able to boot 3.1 on
a 3B2/300 here. It would load fine,but after a few minutes into
system initialization it would hang..

Len Rose - Netsys,Inc.
len@ames.arc.nasa.gov  or len@netsys.com

ekrell@hector.UUCP (Eduardo Krell) (10/01/88)

In article <10459@netsys.COM> len@netsys.COM (Len Rose) writes:
>Speaking from practical experience I was not able to boot 3.1 on
>a 3B2/300 here.

I've had no problem on my 300 with 3.0 or 3.1 or later minor versions.

Eduardo Krell                   AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ

UUCP: {att,decvax,ucbvax}!ulysses!ekrell  Internet: ekrell@ulysses.att.com

randy@chinet.UUCP (Randy Suess) (10/01/88)

>Speaking from practical experience I was not able to boot 3.1 on
>a 3B2/300 here. It would load fine,but after a few minutes into
>system initialization it would hang..

	chinet used to run on a godawful old 3b2/300, and ran
	3.1 for about 2 months with 2 megs memory.  I have since
	stuck a 310 motherboard in it and 4 megs memory.  Runs
	more like a computer now.....
--
Randy Suess                 * But don't underestimate raw, frothing,  *
randy@chinet                * manic hardware.           -barry shein  *

root@amyerg.UUCP (Admin) (10/01/88)

In article <10459@netsys.COM>, len@netsys.COM (Len Rose) writes:
-> Speaking from practical experience I was not able to boot 3.1 on
-> a 3B2/300 here. It would load fine,but after a few minutes into
-> system initialization it would hang..

Funny, I've had 3.1 up and running here on my 3b2/300 for two months.
Perhaps I can give you some hints?

BTW, can I run 3.2.1 on a 3b2/300, and how much would it cost me to
upgrade?

> Len Rose - Netsys,Inc.
> len@ames.arc.nasa.gov  or len@netsys.com

--
Ewan Grantham (601) 354-6454 ext. 412  Miss. Dept. of Corrections
{}!swbatl!amyerg!egranthm             (The Prison People)