[comp.sys.att] Various 3B* questions

friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) (09/22/88)

Hi net.folks,

     I've a handful of 3B15/3B2 questions for you people:

[*] is it possible to run more than 2 ADLI (async data line
    interfaces) on a single IOA (I/O accelerator).  We assume
    no, but we've heard rumors to the contrary.

[*] a customer just upgraded a 3B5/301 to a 3B15, and it's
    in a single cabinet.  We keep getting the following message
    on the console roughly once per hour:

	WARNING: fan unit reports a minor fault

    Our AT&T data tech says that this is because the 3B15 (or
    the 3B4000) normally has two cabinets, and the fan drivers [?]
    are looking for that second fan.  The message is a no-op, but
    we would really like to get rid of it.  Any clues?

[*] One for the 3B2: what's the market for used 2MB RAM boards?
    A customer is looking for one...

     Thanks,
     Steve

--
Steve Friedl    V-Systems, Inc.  +1 714 545 6442    3B2-kind-of-guy
friedl@vsi.com     {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl    attmail!vsi!friedl

danno@3b2.UUCP (Daniel Notov) (09/23/88)

In article <856@vsi.UUCP>, friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:

>      I've a handful of 3B15/3B2 questions for you people:

You're not alone!

> [*] is it possible to run more than 2 ADLI (async data line
>     interfaces) on a single IOA (I/O accelerator).  We assume
>     no, but we've heard rumors to the contrary.

Our big 3B15 is configured as follows:
	IOA0
		ADLI0
		ADLI1
		ADLI2
	IOA1
		ADLI3
		ADLI4
		ADLI5
	IOA2
		ADLI6
		ADLI7
		ADLI8
	IOA3
		ADLI9
		ADLI10
There are also two tape drives, and 3 FSD's.

As far as I know,  the design limit is 4 ADLI'S to 1 IOA,  the practical
limit being 3 to 1.  The above config has been in operation for about one
year.

> [*] a customer just upgraded a 3B5/301 to a 3B15, and it's
>     in a single cabinet.  We keep getting the following message
>     on the console roughly once per hour:
>
> 	WARNING: fan unit reports a minor fault

Our other two 3B15's are single cabinet machines.  Never got that one,  and
those boxes were upgraded just this past April.

A question for the net:  Has anyone recently upgraded to SVR3.1 on a 3B15?
What am I getting myself into?  We're looking to add the following to the
machine above:
	SVR3.1
	10BASE5: (Was 3BNET NI)
	WIN/3B V1.2
	3BFIM to connect to an ISN.
We'll probably remove one IOA community (24 ports)
Thank's
--
	Daniel S. Notov		|	{monster,uunet}!onm3b2!danno
	Ogilvy & Mather, Inc.	|	(212) 907-4255

sadler@shorty.CS.WISC.EDU (Jon B. Sadler) (10/04/88)

In article <279@3b2.UUCP>, danno@3b2.UUCP (Daniel Notov) writes:
>In article <856@vsi.UUCP>, friedl@vsi.UUCP (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
>
>> [*] is it possible to run more than 2 ADLI (async data line
>>     interfaces) on a single IOA (I/O accelerator).  We assume
>>     no, but we've heard rumors to the contrary.
>
>Our big 3B15 is configured as follows:

  <Description of config.>
Our machine is not as user I/O heavy, but we are using 4 ADLIs per IOA
without any real problems.  Config follows:
     IOA 0
		 ADLI 0
		 ADLI 1
		 ADLI 2
		 ADLI 3
	 IOA 1
		 ADLI 4
		 ADLI 5
		 ADLI 6
This machine also has 4 FC controlers each with 2 disks, 1 tape drive,
and 2 3bNET (10base5) boards, although one is off line currently.

>A question for the net:  Has anyone recently upgraded to SVR3.1 on a 3B15?
>What am I getting myself into?  We're looking to add the following to the
>machine above:
>	SVR3.1
>	10BASE5: (Was 3BNET NI)
>	WIN/3B V1.2
>	3BFIM to connect to an ISN.
We expect to be upgrading within 3 mo's.  I can only tell you what I know
about the upgrade from our move to SVR3.1 on our 3b2's.  We had no problems
with the upgrade -- file system types were still compatible, etc.  so for
the most part, it was just changing / and /usr, and re-compiling a few
sources for local programs.
No major changes.

As for the WIN/3b software, get the latest release. (I believe 2.1)  Their
old release was full of bugs and I would not recomend your using it.  The
new version, in conjunction with the new SV, will allow you to run RFS
between your 3b15's, 3b2's, etc.  Also, look for an NFS product from AT&T.
This product will require the most recent WIN/3b release.  The new release
will also let you '15 do ethernet gatewaying, assuming you have 2 or more
ethernet cards.

The 3bFIM I don't know a thing about.  I do have experience with the ISN
though, and could answer other questions on this.

>--
>	Daniel S. Notov		|	{monster,uunet}!onm3b2!danno
>	Ogilvy & Mather, Inc.	|	(212) 907-4255
>	New York, NY		|

hope this helps!

Jonathan Sadler
University of Wisconsin - Madison

INTERNET:  sadler@cs.wisc.edu         SNAIL MAIL:  Jonathan Sadler
           sadler@csd4.milw.wisc.edu               2350 Comp Sci + Stat (CSL)
UUCP    :  ...!rutgers!uwvax!sadler                University of Wisconsin
           sadler@uwvax.UUCP                       Madison, WI 53706
           ...chinet!laidbak!sadler   BELL NET:    (608) 262-2389
  REALLY NIFTY AUTOMATED ATTENDANT -- BELL NET:    (800) 524-8649 x379