From: root@netsys.COM (NetSys Admin)
Subject: Forwarded mail...
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 88 16:38:39 EDT

Forwarded message:

Date: Mon, 17 Oct 88 11:26:06 MDT
From: ames!ncar.UCAR.EDU!boulder!pikes!nike.cair.du.edu!daemon (The devil himself)
To: pikes!boulder!ncar!ames!netsys!root@boulder.colorado.edu

>From udenva!nuucp  Mon Oct 17 11:25:53 1988 remote from dunike
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 88 11:25:38 MDT
From: dunike!udenva!nuucp (UUCP Admin)
To: boulder!pikes!boulder!ncar!ames!netsys!root

>From isis.UUCP!scicom!cyrill  Mon Oct 17 11:25:01 1988 remote from udenva
To: isis.UUCP!udenva!pikes!boulder!ncar!ames!netsys!root
Subject: Re:  Info-3b2 Digest, Number 23
Date: 17 Oct 88 11:09:35 MDT (Mon)
From: udenva!scicom.alphacdc.com!isis!cyrill (Cyro Lord)

Thanks for the information on the devtools.
Great response and information. The price
is now at $55.00.

Cyro Lord	Alpha Comm. Dev. Corp. -  DOMAIN  cyrill@scicom.alphacdc.com
UUCP		{ncar,nbires,boulder,isis}!scicom!cyrill
Being alive is learning to make love with what you most fear. - James Baldwin

------------------------------

From: ucsfmis!ide!uunet!3b2!danno
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 88 21:37:15 EDT
Subject: Trouble with rn

The following sob story regards an AT&T 3b2/400 SVR3.1.
Terminals & PC's connected via StarLAN.

I recently downloaded rn version 4.3 from uunet.  Configure & Make ran
without a whimper.  Real clean.  I looked over what I built, su'd & did a
"make install".

Now, I try to run rn.  I get the "Welcome to RN" message, and "press return
to continue" in reverse video at the bottom of the screen.  I press return,
but rn does not continue. I press return again, nothing.  I press INTR,
nothing.  Press it again & I get "caught an internal error-restoring
.newsrc" and back to the shell.

I start it again & leave it to cook, thinking maybe it needs to do some kind
of initialization.  An hour later,  the same screen is staring at me.  From
another terminal,  ps tells me a lot of activity is going on.  This
terminal is connected to the 3B2 via RS232C-NAU (Asynch/StarLAN Gateway).

Next day,  I go to the Console & try running it there.... IT WORKS!  and
such a nice news reader, too!

Now,  the only difference I can find is that the console is /dev/console,
and the Terminal uses /dev/slanxx (00-31).   Is there some fundamental
difference between the asynch tty driver & the starlan tty driver?  I'm
guessing this is where the problem lies.

Where do I begin?  I'm not too proficient in C to do this on my own.
Does anyone have any Idea where I should start.

Sorry for the  L O N G message,  but I'd love to get this package up &
running on StarLAN.  If I keep sneaking into the computer room to read the
news,  people will be wondering what I'm up to.

Tx.

danno
--

	Daniel S. Notov		|	{monster,uunet}!onm3b2!danno
	Ogilvy & Mather, Inc.	|	"...advertising that sells"

-------------------------------------

To join this group or have your thoughts in the next issue, please
send electronic mail to Ken Davis at the following address;

	{pacbell,netsys,hoptoad,well}!lamc!info-3b2-request

The views expressed in Info-3b2 Digest are those of the
individual authors only.

*********************
End of Info-3b2 Digest
*********************

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (10/21/88)

I've run into the problem that rn won't work over a STARlan network
also.  I can invoke it and it shows the first screen, but then it
freezes.  Anyone have a clue or a fix?  Vnews and readnews don't seem to
have this problems.

--
Pete Holsberg                   UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Mercer College			CompuServe: 70240,334

ferencz@cwsys3..CWRU.Edu (Don Ferencz) (10/21/88)

In article <340@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:

>I've run into the problem that rn won't work over a STARlan network
>also.  I can invoke it and it shows the first screen, but then it
>freezes.  Anyone have a clue or a fix?  Vnews and readnews don't seem to
>have this problems.

Yep, me too.  I have a few UNIX PC's running SysV 3.5 connected to
a STARLAN network to a 3B2/310.  I can narrow down the problem: the
"rn" program chokes once it puts the UNIX PC in "cbreak" (non-buffered
input) mode.  I think it is a problem with the STARLAN driver at the
UNIX PC end.  The way I solve this is, once logged into the 3B2 with
the Phone Manager and Terminal Emulator is perform an "rlogin"
over our network (TCP/IP Ethernet).  "rn" can then handle "cbreak"
to what is now an Ethernet connection, connected to a STARLAN
connection.  (I found this, totally by luck).

Our other network programs (telnet, ftp, etc.) have the same problem,
but luckily "rlogin" back to the same host is a "quick" fix.

| Don Ferencz                       |  "And in the end/                   |
| ferencz@cwsys3.cwru.EDU           |   The love you take/                |
| Department of Systems Engineering |   Is equal to the love you make."   |
| Case Western Reserve University   |       -- The Beatles                |

In article <340@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:

>I've run into the problem that rn won't work over a STARlan network
>also.  I can invoke it and it shows the first screen, but then it
>freezes.  Anyone have a clue or a fix?  Vnews and readnews don't seem to
>have this problems.

I ran across this problem with GNU emacs also.  Starlan on the 3B2 is a
STREAMS device and if a non-blocking read is done by setting O_NDELAY
if no data is present the read will return -1 where a tty device will
return 0 (this is true even when the pseudo-tty emulator is pushed on
the stream by the login mechanism).  Check for places that take the
value returned from read() as the number of characters read.  The
quick fix is to adjust any negative number to 0.  The right thing to
do would be to check errno on a negative return and do something
appropriate.

Les Mikesell