[comp.sys.att] Windows/286 2.1 on a Bernoulli

ciaraldi@cs.rochester.edu (Mike Ciaraldi) (10/13/88)

I am trying to help a friend install Microsoft Windows/286
version 2.1 on an AT&T 6300 Plus (AT-compatible)
with a 20 megabyte Bernoulli Box.  He currently
has Windows 2.0 running.

The only way to install Windows/286 2.1 is supposed to be
by running the INSTALL program.  You can't just copy the
files from the floppies, or so the manual implies.

When we try to install, the INSTALL program tells us that
it can only install onto a hard disk, we don't have one,
and so it is quitting.  Of course, the Bernoulli is supposed
to act like a hard disk once its driver is loaded (which it is).

We called Microsoft and they said they are looking into this,
but don't have a solution.
So, we are considering the following:
Install Windows/286 on another machine with a real hard disk.
Observe what directories are created and where the files go.
Dump the files onto a floppy.
Load them onto the Bernoulli on the other machine.
Erase from the first machine (since it would be illegal
to run it on two machines at the same time).

Does anyone know if this will work?
INSTALL is supposed to figure out how your hardware is set up;
can we move the files to a different computer
without a problem, even though the hardware is different?
Maybe we can just change the WIN.INI file.

If anyone has successfully installed Windows 2.1 and has some insights
on this, we'd love to know.

Mike Ciaraldi
University of Rochester
uucp:  ...rutgers!rochester!ciaraldi
ARPA:  ciaraldi@cs.rochester.edu

pervect@bsu-cs.UUCP (Barrett Kreiner) (10/14/88)

In article <1988Oct12.230551.11667@cs.rochester.edu>, ciaraldi@cs.rochester.edu (Mike Ciaraldi) writes:
> I am trying to help a friend install Microsoft Windows/286
> version 2.1 on an AT&T 6300 Plus (AT-compatible)
> with a 20 megabyte Bernoulli Box.  He currently
> has Windows 2.0 running.
>
> When we try to install, the INSTALL program tells us that
> it can only install onto a hard disk, we don't have one,
> and so it is quitting.  Of course, the Bernoulli is supposed
> to act like a hard disk once its driver is loaded (which it is).
>

> Mike Ciaraldi
> University of Rochester
> uucp:  ...rutgers!rochester!ciaraldi
> ARPA:  ciaraldi@cs.rochester.edu

Mike, a possible cause for your problem..
We have Bernoulies (bernolii?) in our lab and We've had our share of problems.
Windows may be using the "non-removable media" function to ID a drive as a
hard disk.  Since a B-Box is a removable media AND the device driver will ID
it AS removable.. MS Windows will *Naturally* think that it's not a hard disk
it's working with.  as for the installation.. try editing the installer
script.. It's not that hard to figure out (MS made it easy) and see what you
can do..

WE have NOT installed 2.x on a bernoulli, but we HAVE installed a 1.x on one.
no MAJOR probs..

Good luck..
|---------------------------------------------------------------------|-----|
| Barrett Kreiner    UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!pervect | :-] |
| Technical Manager, Fine Arts Computer Lab|--------------------------|-----|
| Ball State University. Muncie, Indiana   |This space left blank on purpose|
|------------------------------------------|--------------------------------|
| How am I computing?  Let my parents know at ddsw1!kreiner  (HI ma & dad)  |
| Disclamer: "I don't know them!  I'm a student, nobody listens to ME!"     |

todd@metheus.UUCP (Todd Stewart) (10/26/88)

In article <1988Oct12.230551.11667@cs.rochester.edu> ciaraldi@cs.rochester.edu (Mike Ciaraldi) writes:

>INSTALL is supposed to figure out how your hardware is set up;
>can we move the files to a different computer
>without a problem, even though the hardware is different?

You can defeat the auto-config feature of setup 2.1 by using the "-n" switch
on the command line.  This will make setup act more like the 2.03 versions
which ask you questions about all your hardware.  You can therefore run setup
on a machine other than the one you actually intend to use.

>Maybe we can just change the WIN.INI file.

Sorry, but it's not that simple.  Setup acts something like a linker, pulling
in gdi.exe, kernel.exe, user.exe, and a lot of drivers, fonts, etc to make
the following binaries:

	win.com, win200.bin, win200.ovl, winoldap.mod, winoldap.grb

If you run setup -n on a regular PC with hard disk, you should then be able
to xcopy the entire directory onto your bournoulli.  Don't forget the PIF
subdirectory....

	Todd Stewart
	Metheus Corporation