[comp.sys.att] Adding memory to a 3b2/600 ?

swackham@violet.berkeley.edu (12/03/88)

Does anyone know if it is feasable to add memory to a
3b2/600 directly in the field without buying an upgrade
package from AT&T?
	Thanx .....

rjd@occrsh.ATT.COM (Randy_Davis) (12/05/88)

In article <17706@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> swackham@violet.berkeley.edu () writes:
>Does anyone know if it is feasable to add memory to a
>3b2/600 directly in the field without buying an upgrade
>package from AT&T?
>	Thanx .....

  Ummm, the AT&T 3B2 model 600 is not like your PC or Apple, where you just
plug in the missing memory chips into the sockets already present on the
machine.  To add memory to any model 3B2 requires the addition of a circuit
module.
  For the model 500, model 600, or model 700, it is the addition of a CM523A or
CM523AA four megabyte memory, CM523B two megabyte memory (not very common),
CM523D sixteen megabyte memory (only for a model 700 or any machine with a 518B
system board), or a CM523E eight megabyte memory.  On the model 600 and 700
there are four slots for memory boards, with a maximum capacity of 16 Mb for
the model 600  (the different model 700 mother board can address four 16 Mb
boards for a total of 64 Mb RAM).
  The model 310 and 400 require a CM191B or CM191C (1 Mb), or CM191D (2 Mb) -
the old CM192B (2Mb) is a possibility for the model 400 only because it is a
double height board.

  So, I guess the answer is - Yes, it is simple to add memory to the machine
(shut it off, remove a slot cover or more, plug the board in, screw it in,
power machine back on and let it autoconfigure), but as to doing it without
the upgrade package - No, you will have to get the memory board from somewhere.

Randy Davis					UUCP: ...(att!)ocrjd!randy
						      ...(att!)occrsh!rjd