[comp.sys.att] Driver programs for PC6300 in high resolution mode

brand@janus.uucp (Graham Brand) (11/23/88)

Hello Net Users,
	Do commercially available drivers exist for the usual set of
programs (1-2-3, Word, Autocad etc.) that will allow use of the 6300
in its high resolution mode (640x400)? Third party video board
manufacturers usually include a diskette with such drivers for their
high resolution modes. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
-Graham Brand (brand@janus,   ...!ucbvax!ucbjanus!brand)

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (11/29/88)

Many programs seem to support the higher ( 640 * 400 ) resolution
modes of the PC6300 indigenous graphics controller.  In fact,
Version 2.01 and higher of Lotus' 1-2-3 program support several
graphics modalities for the board.  1-2-3 supports an 80 col by 50
row spreadsheet and the 640 * 400 two-color mode.

GEM desktop versions 2.0 and more recent support the AT&T display
in 640 * 400 two-color mode.

Microsoft Windows supports up to 640 * 400 resolution as well as
the DEB daughterboard for up to 16 colors.  Word also can use the
80 by 50 text mode.

Pizzaz screen grabbing program suppots the AT&T 640 * 400 two-color
mode (among others).

Inset supports the 640 * 400 two-color mode.

The Borland BGI device independent driver supplied with Turbo C 1.5
and Turbo Pascal 4.0 (and maybe some other stuff) also supports the
PC6300 hi-res modes, if you'd like to roll your own programs.

It seems that recent versions of most popular software support the
PC6300.  I looks like a good time to upgrade, if you're still using
version 1A of 1-2-3.  There are a lot of other nice features in the
newer versions of 1-2-3 too.

You can write a little assembly program with debug to call the
video interrupt to switch modes yourself, but most programs still
behave like they're running in a little screen.  I'm at home while
I am writing this, so I don't know off hand what the extended codes
for the video interrupt on the 6300 are.  If there is interest, I
can look them up and post them.

--Bill

return mail:  ...!lll-winken!scooter!neoucom!impulse!wtm

psrc@poseidon.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (12/05/88)

<"He seemed like such a nice man . . . and then he turned out to be a writer!">

In article <1424@neoucom.UUCP>, wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
> Many programs seem to support the higher ( 640 * 400 ) resolution
> modes of the PC6300 indigenous graphics controller.  In fact,
> Version 2.01 and higher of Lotus' 1-2-3 program support several
> graphics modalities for the board.  1-2-3 supports an 80 col by 50
> row spreadsheet and the 640 * 400 two-color mode.
>
> GEM desktop versions 2.0 and more recent support the AT&T display
> in 640 * 400 two-color mode.

And thus all GEM applications (e.g., Ventura Publisher).  It's funny,
because early versions supported AT&T and DEB; then, when they made
some changes for Apple's lawyers (see PC Magazine, v. 5 #4 [February
25, 1986], p. 129), they also added EGA and dropped the AT&T modes.
They're supported again (at least in the version of GEM used for
Ventura Publisher 1.03.)

> Microsoft Windows supports up to 640 * 400 resolution as well as
> the DEB daughterboard for up to 16 colors.  Word also can use the
> 80 by 50 text mode.

And 640x400 in graphics mode.  Excel, being a Windows application,
knows about AT&T and DEB; I mention this because 1-2-3 and Quattro do,
too (well, 640x400x2, anyway), so it's good for several spreadsheets.

> Pizzaz screen grabbing program supports the AT&T 640 * 400 two-color
> mode (among others).
>
> Inset supports the 640 * 400 two-color mode.

Imcap (another capture program) supports 640x400x2, too.

> The Borland BGI device independent driver supplied with Turbo C 1.5
> and Turbo Pascal 4.0 (and maybe some other stuff) also supports the
> PC6300 hi-res modes, if you'd like to roll your own programs.

Ditto TC 2.0 and TP 5.0, as you'd expect.  The only problem is that the
BGI can't detect the AT&T adapter, and defaults to CGA.  Quattro 1.0
uses the same BGI as TC 1.5 and TP 4.0, so it supports 640x400, too.
Reflex supports 640x400.

Digitalk's Smalltalk/V and Smalltalk/V-286 support 640x400.

FANSI.SYS supports AT&T the 80x50 text mode.

There's compatible hardware, too.  Several of the Compaq portables had
an AT&T-compatible 640x400x2 color graphics mode.  The Toshiba 3100,
3200, and 5100 have a similar mode, but with a different mode number.
640x400x2 color displays are very popular in high-end laptops.

STB made an EGA card that not only had a 640x400x2 color mode, but even
worked with the 318 monitor (with an adapter they sold).  Magnavox
sells an AT&T adapter for their Multimode monitor.

> It seems that recent versions of most popular software support the
> PC6300.  I looks like a good time to upgrade, if you're still using
> version 1A of 1-2-3.  There are a lot of other nice features in the
> newer versions of 1-2-3 too.
>
> You can write a little assembly program with debug to call the
> video interrupt to switch modes yourself, but most programs still
> behave like they're running in a little screen.  I'm at home while
> I am writing this, so I don't know off hand what the extended codes
> for the video interrupt on the 6300 are.  If there is interest, I
> can look them up and post them.

I'm interested.

> --Bill, lll-winken!scooter!neoucom!impulse!wtm

Paul S. R. Chisholm, psrc@poseidon.att.com (formerly psc@lznv.att.com)
AT&T Bell Laboratories, att!poseidon!psrc, AT&T Mail !psrchisholm
I'm not speaking for the company, I'm just speaking my mind.

bwk@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Barry W. Kort) (12/07/88)

In article <613@poseidon.ATT.COM> psrc@poseidon.ATT.COM
(Paul S. R. Chisholm) writes:

 > Digitalk's Smalltalk/V and Smalltalk/V-286 support 640x400.

Aha!  I have not been able to get V/286 to run on my 6300 Plus.
It hangs when trying to go into protected mode.  If I buy
ROM BIOS 3.0, will the problem go away?

--Barry Kort